Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I buy the series on DVD?

zerox

4 hours ago, zerox said:

I'm interested if I should buy the Mlp FIM series on DVD? I watched the series on Netflix and they only have 5 seasons there. So my question is: is it worth it?

5 seasons? Gotta check, as it had the first 4 last time :mlp_huh:

Typically speaking, any time you can get a show on a physical release (DVD, Bluray, etc.), you should always consider it.

Streaming is nice, but it's a glorified rental system. You don't have any ownership rights to it; and if the streaming platform decided to take the show down from their listing for ANY reason... Well, that's tough luck, buddy. Should have gotten the physical release. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

Get what you can on DVD or bluray. Check every country. Australia or UK sometimes has releases that US doesn't. 

It is important to collect physical media because streaming platforms can pull stuff off. I may or may not have a program that saves streaming shows for you. :mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Patriotic Brony 42 said:

Get what you can on DVD or bluray. Check every country. Australia or UK sometimes has releases that US doesn't. 

It is important to collect physical media because streaming platforms can pull stuff off. I may or may not have a program that saves streaming shows for you. :mlp_smug:

If that program is from redfox.bz then I know it. Anystream.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely, I would strongly recommend because greedy streaming services nowadays are unreliable places to watch your favorite shows, mainly because they can take them down at any time and because you don't even own the shows you watch.

It is worth it. Truth be told, having access to all 9 seasons of MLP without physical copies is a real pain, so while normally I rely on streaming services... here they've proven themselves to be unreliable at best. 

It baffles me how Hasbro makes it so difficult to access this show, while it obviously has many fans wanting it. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-09-17 at 5:35 AM, zerox said:

I'm interested if I should buy the Mlp FIM series on DVD? I watched the series on Netflix and they only have 5 seasons there. So my question is: is it worth it?

Besides the security of what is on DVD (Besides the first 7 seasons, there is the theatrical movie, plus the first four EG movies and three segments on the DVD Magical Movie Night), getting it especially if you can find it on Amazon does probably help to support the series.

And yeah, still like streaming, but my take is that streaming and physical media should always co-exist.

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Netflix only has up to season five but season nine is on Hulu, I think. I don’t know about the other seasons. But in any case, yes, it’s worth it. The later seasons aren’t the height of brilliance for MLP G4 because they were cutting corners and relegating the episodes to fifth and sixth-string writers, but still, there are many great gems among these seasons and if you love the characters you should have the whole series.

On 2023-09-28 at 4:20 PM, zerox said:

I decided to purchase it. I have it in my Amazon basket and next time I'm ordering something I will get mlp as well.

Enjoy!! :yay:

• Hugs 2

If nothing else I think it is good to support both mediums when possible especially to show that animation of various types (kid or adult) is something that networks and studios should be more confident for investment.

Especially handy if you want more of a particular show in any form (i.e. Gargoyles which is back in a Canon comic).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2023-10-19 at 1:11 PM, zerox said:

Today I ordered the sixth and seven season on amazon.

So those are legitimate. I got the first four seasons on DVD and season number five' Been sitting in my wish list for years.

I miss when the episodes used to be on Netflix because it's much easier to jump between episode when you're trying to watch the episodes in a certain way, like maybe by location or by character pairings 

So I'm asking are Seasons 8 and 9 The only ones Dad don't have DVDs legitimately

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

So I'm asking are Seasons 8 and 9 The only ones Dad don't have DVDs legitimately

Seasons 8 and 9 haven't been released on DVD, at least outside of Asia from what I've heard (may or may not be legit).

Those seasons are available on digital storefronts (iTunes/Apple TV and Amazon Video), which isn't great considering the risks of purchasing digital media, but it's better than nothing. Maybe one day the complete series will get a Blu-ray release, possibly to tie in with the 15th anniversary next year. It would be great to own the series physically in HD.

(edited)

If you can find it physically/digitally and be able to afford it, do it. It's always great to be able to support the series in any way, but I understand if you have to sail the high seas with the other seaponies.

Edited by StarlightSerenade