Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Tails of Equestria' Talkback

Otaku-sempai

(edited)

Tails of Equestria from River Horse Games is still in print, so let's talk about it!

My Little Pony Tails of Equestria the Storytelling Game by River Horse

My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria - The Storytelling Game (2016 to Present)

River Horse Games

$33.00 USD

DESCRIPTION: 

The first stop in your journey into Tails of Equestria, a role-playing game set in the world of My Little Pony!

This core rulebook is the first book in the Tails of Equestria storytelling, pen-and-paper game where players create and roleplay as pony heroes who explore and seek adventure in the various lands of Equestria.

HIGHLIGHTS:

•  Storyteller game for all Ages
  • Perfect for Family Adventures
  • Adventure: The Pet Predictament

CONTAINS:

1 Full Color Hardcover Book (152 Pages)

Guided by a Game Master, players adventure together and use the “magic of friendship” to overcome obstacles as they learn more about each other and the world around them. Armed with core skills and special abilities, each player ventures into the world of Equestria with their pony peers, forging deeper friendships as they help one another in the whimsical world they create through every action they take.

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not counting dice, downloads and such, I own the following products for Tails of Equestria

• Tails of Equestria Core Rulebook (2016; hardcover) 
  • The Bestiary of Equestria (2017; hardcover) 
  • The Official Movie Sourcebook (2017; hardcover) 
  • The Compendium of Equestria (2021; hardcover)
  • The Curse of the Statuettes (2016; boxed set) 
  • Starter Set (2018; boxed set) 
  • Ogres & Oubliettes (2019; boxed set) 
  • The Festival of Lights (2017; adventure) 
  • Judge Not by the Cover {2018; adventure) 
  • The Haunting of Equestria (2018; adventure)
  • Filly Sized Follies {2019; three adventures) 
  • The Curious Case of the Malfunctioning P.R.A.N.C.E.R. and Other Tails (2019; six adventures)
  • Melody of the Waves (2019; adventure)

Somewhat ironically, I've never had the chance yet to play the game! I assume that River Horse isn't allowed to produce any new expansions or adventures, though I know that there's a Fallout Equestria homebrew out in the wilds of the interwebs: 

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1

Here is my homebrew for the Kelpies of Farasi, Zecora's homeland:

Kelpie, Farasi
external image

Typical Farasian Kelpie
Body: D6 Mind: D6 Charm: D6 Stamina: 12
Talents: Water Control (D6), Pick one appropriate Cutie Mark talent.
Quirk: Weakness: Electricity (D6) , Choose one

The Kelpies of Farasi look very much like Earth ponies made of water. As Zecora's old schoolteacher explained: "Kelpies have magic that allows them to manipulate water. They can control it with their minds, and can change their bodies from water to ice to steam". Electricity is harmful to Farasian Kelpies, but they also become weak if they are away from water for too long.

And here is my homebrew for the Abada:

Abada

external image

Typical Abada
Body: D6 Mind: D6 Charm: D6 Stamina: D12
Talents: Nimble (D6), Pick one appropriate Cutie Mark talent
Quirks: Choose one

Abada are intelligent creatures native to Farasi, the zebra lands far east of Equestria, across the Celestial Sea. They resemble tall, lean Unicorns with a curved horn on their foreheads and with a second horn on their muzzles. Colorful stripes mark their chests and upper legs while their tails resemble the tail of a donkey or boar. Abada have their own cutie-mark magic that gives them talents like great speed or the ability to communicate with plants.

• Brohoof 1

More Kelpie homebriews:

Cassie the Kelpie
external image
Cassie the Kelpie created by Jeremy Whitley (writer) and Amy Mebberson (artist)

Typical Equestrian Kelpie
Body: D8 Mind: D6 Charm: D6 Stamina: 14
Talents: Special Skill: Singing (D6), Special Skill: Swimming (D8)
Quirk: Restricted to water, Choose one

Typical Sea Kelpie
Talents: Speak with Animals: Fish (D6), Special Skill: Swimming (D8)
Quirk: Restricted to water, Choose one

Kelpies are water-dwelling creatures that live in rivers, lakes and the sea. Their physical appearance can vary wildly. Cassie, the fresh-water Kelpie who almost drowned the residents of Ponyville had the head and mane of a pony, a long snake-like body, an eel-like tail, and four frond-like fins with matching spines on her back. Sea-dwelling Kelpies more closely resemble Seaponies with scaly torsos, and live in the undersea city of Coltlantis. Fresh-water Kelpies possess Cutie Marks; sea-dwelling Kelpies do not seem to have them.

external image

Kelpies can be very protective of the bodies of water where they live and of the creatures that dwell in them. Some possess a Hypnotizing Song. If such a Kelpie feels that it or its home is threatened, it can attempt to use its Hypnotizing Song to place any Ponies within hearing under its control either to send them away or otherwise do as it commands.

New Talent: Hypnotizing Song (Kelpies only)
When a creature with this talent feels threatened it will attempt to use its song to place any Ponies within hearing range under its control. This talent only works on intelligent creatures, not on ordinary animals.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Bat Pony Homebrew

external image

Typical Bat pony
Body: D8 Mind: D6 Charm: D6 Stamina: 14
Talents: Fly (D6), Night Vision* (D4), Stout Heart (D4), Pick one appropriate Cutie Mark talent
Quirks: Weakness: Bright Light (D6), Choose one

Accustomed to the harsh winds of the Trotsylvanian Alps, Bat ponies are strong flyers--though not as agile as Pegasi--with bat-like wings, tufted ears and cat-like eyes with slit pupils that allow them to see very well at night. They typically have gray coats, black wings and dark-colored manes and tails, though other coat and mane colors do occur. It's true that Bat ponies have fangs, mostly used for sucking the juice out of fruits--a favorite being mangoes. Bat ponies dwell in a chain of mountains located east of Equestria, and might be related to Pegasi (though Bat ponies themselves dispute this). Bat ponies make up the Night Guard of Princess Luna.

Bat ponies are nocturnal by nature. Prolonged, unprotected exposure to sunlight or other bright light can cause blindness that lasts from several hours up to a couple of days. Their unusual appearance and nocturnal habits, combined with a reputation for fierceness, have given rise to the rumor that Bat ponies are vampires; however, this is just a tall tale spread by superstitious ponies. Other names: Cavalum; Noctral(s); Sarosian(s); Thestral(s).

* Talent: Night Vision. A pony with this talent can see very well in the dark, though not in complete blackness. The downside is that the pony also gains the quirk of Weakness: Bright Light.

This write-up is largely inspired by the fanfic "Interview with a Batpony" by Gulheru. I highly recommend checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=ctyAr4MpNi1pL5R... 

I opted not to give Bat Ponies the talent of Echolocation, but your mileage may vary (subject to GM approval). I probably would give it to "Flutterbat" because of her unusual circumstances! 

Talent: Echolocation (Creature only). The creature who possesses echolocation is able to use ultrasound to send out signals that bounce off of objects to let her "see" at night and even in complete darkness (colors cannot be distinguished). Treat as Truesight against invisible creatures: You automatically succeed at tests to see invisible creatures who have an Invisibility talent die equal or lower than your Echolocation talent die, e.g. a creature with Echolocation (D6) always succeeds against a creature using Invisibility (D6), but against a creature with Invisibility (D8) she would have to roll as normal.

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Llama Homebrew

I made this one up from scratch based on the G1 pony-friend Cha Cha the Llama who has also shown up in some G5 merchandise. 

external image

Typical Llama
Talents: Special Skill: Climbing (D6), Woolly* (D6)
Quirks: Choose one

Llamas live in the Yaket Range north and east of the Crystal Empire. Sure-footed, with thick, woolly coats they are well suited to mountain homes. Llamas are hospitable hosts but do not do well in warmer climes so they seldom venture far from their homeland.

* Talent: Woolly. A creature with this Talent has a thick woolly coat that protects them against the cold. They gain an upgrade to their body die whenever they face cold conditions. On the other hand they are more vulnerable to the heat and so downgrade their body die whenever they make a body test in hot conditions.

In addition, once per session you may roll your woolly die in addition to your body die when exposed to cold conditions, choosing any result.

G1 Cha Cha the Llama:
external image
Cha Cha
Llama
Body: D8 Mind: D10 Charm: D8 Stamina: 18
Talents: Special Skill: Climbing (D8), Special Skill: Dancing (D10), Woolly* (D6),
Quirks: Short Attention Span

Cha Cha was part of a Llama dance troupe that visited the Crystal Empire. Once there, she was inspired to explore more of Equestria.

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1