Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Me Anything (Rarity Gemstones)

Rarity Gemstones

Out of curiosity I figured I’d make one of these if not solely for experimentation. My name is Rarity on this site, but some people refer to me as Gem. I suppose it doesn’t matter which you prefer.

A little about myself:

I am a writer by trade. It is my primary source of income.

English is not my native language.

I have a fairly “unique” condition that causes me not to feel emotions. I have lived like this since around age 7. This includes any and all emotions positive or negative.

You may ask me anything you like, I’ll try and answer as best as I can.

• Brohoof 4

If I am correct, you aren't really that interested in MLP that much - what made you come back again after spending months away, if you don't mind me asking? Just simply curious. How much of MLP have you seen so far?

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Props Valroa said:

If I am correct, you aren't really that interested in MLP that much - what made you come back again after spending months away, if you don't mind me asking? Just simply curious. How much of MLP have you seen so far?

I have only seen I think around season 2 or so.

I mostly linger out of curiosity if anything else. It’s another part of the brain, not inherently driven by emotion. It can be driven by many factors.

Essentially anything I do is driven by involuntary impulse, personal gain, logical conclusion, or instinct.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

Hey, we talked before, but there is one more thing I'd like to know. If you don't mind me asking, I'm interested if you are able to experience things that aren't technically emotions, but are close to them.

You already said that you can experience curiosity. But can you perceive something as beautiful? Or funny? Do you like to listen to music, and if so, what kind?

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Planeswalker Silky said:

Hey Rarity Gemstones!

What is your ultimate dream/goal in life?! :pinkie:

I get asked this question many times, and I don’t really even know how to answer it. I do things very mechanically in a manner of speaking, so I’m used to just doing things because that’s what I need to do.

I suppose having a dream requires having some kind of desire for something. I’m not sure I know what desire is.

I know there is a difference between desire and need. My body tells me when I need food, but it’s not inherently a desire because a desire would be something you simply want for no inherent logical reason.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Rarity Gemstones said:

I get asked this question many times, and I don’t really even know how to answer it. I do things very mechanically in a manner of speaking, so I’m used to just doing things because that’s what I need to do.

I suppose having a dream requires having some kind of desire for something. I’m not sure I know what desire is.

I know there is a difference between desire and need. My body tells me when I need food, but it’s not inherently a desire because a desire would be something you simply want for no inherent logical reason.

I would like to offer a logical reason for why you should have a dream/goals or a reason to pursue what a desire might be for you:

It enhances your life or makes you feel more fulfilled. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Silly Druid said:

Hey, we talked before, but there is one more thing I'd like to know. If you don't mind me asking, I'm interested if you are able to experience things that aren't technically emotions, but are close to them.

You already said that you can experience curiosity. But can you perceive something as beautiful? Or funny? Do you like to listen to music, and if so, what kind?

So my condition is unique in that it does not happen at birth. It happens through life. There was a time where I felt emotion, but I was around 7 or so. As a result I remember what emotions are like, so I could interpret things that way, however my understanding of them is based upon that of a 7 year old, and what I read about them.

Curiosity is more or less a survival instinct in our brains. We seek knowledge because it’s programmed into our brains to keep us alive. As a species we have survived this long because of it.

Can I perceive things as beautiful? In a manner of speaking, sort of? Sexual appeal is controlled by another part of the brain so I can recognize something is sexually appealing.

I do listen to music, but to be honest it all is the same to me. I get nothing from it, so I put on anything.

1 minute ago, BoopMan said:

Is rarity your favorite? And why?

In a way, I chose her solely because I think she embodies what I am not: successful, socialized well, and talented.

I logically determined people would likely associate less with someone who attached themselves to a character that was more like I am in real life.

3 minutes ago, Planeswalker Silky said:

I would like to offer a logical reason for why you should have a dream/goals or a reason to pursue what a desire might be for you:

It enhances your life or makes you feel more fulfilled. :twi:

The key word is “feel”. Since I can not do that, it would do nothing for me.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Rarity Gemstones said:

So my condition is unique in that it does not happen at birth. It happens through life. There was a time where I felt emotion, but I was around 7 or so. As a result I remember what emotions are like, so I could interpret things that way, however my understanding of them is based upon that of a 7 year old, and what I read about them.

Curiosity is more or less a survival instinct in our brains. We seek knowledge because it’s programmed into our brains to keep us alive. As a species we have survived this long because of it.

Can I perceive things as beautiful? In a manner of speaking, sort of? Sexual appeal is controlled by another part of the brain so I can recognize something is sexually appealing.

I do listen to music, but to be honest it all is the same to me. I get nothing from it, so I put on anything.

In a way, I chose her solely because I think she embodies what I am not: successful, socialized well, and talented.

I logically determined people would likely associate less with someone who attached themselves to a character that was more like I am in real life.

This is super interesting!

But, I can't help but wonder... if you could be like Rarity, would you be like her? 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Planeswalker Silky said:

This is super interesting!

But, I can't help but wonder... if you could be like Rarity, would you be like her? 

I suppose I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but if we are saying I suddenly switched places with someone like her? I would likely ruin her life in a matter of hours. I wouldn’t even know how to handle the level of socializing she does on a daily basis, or compliments she receives.

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-18984-0-75855800-1382213112.png Chatterbox: Hey Miss Rarity Gems! I would like to ask you a couple of things!

first of all, If you have the oportunity to visit 3 countries what would you choose and why?

• Excited 2

On 2/4/2024 at 1:29 AM, Rethajni said:

post-18984-0-75855800-1382213112.png Chatterbox: Hey Miss Rarity Gems! I would like to ask you a couple of things!

first of all, If you have the oportunity to visit 3 countries what would you choose and why?

Well, places I have been are Indonesia, Thailand, China, Korea and Japan once. I only went because they were family trips so I didn’t have a choice.

I think I would only visit somewhere solely to make money or improve my station in life as that’s my only real driving factor, so maybe some European countries solely for business relations and opportunities.

I might have to go to mainland China a few more times though for work.

The prospect of making more money so I don’t need to fuss over survival is really the only thing that makes me work harder. 

1 minute ago, Props Valroa said:

@Rarity Gemstones

If you had 3 wishes what would they be?

That's a tough question. Part of me thinks I would wish for infinite wealth, but then working is about the only thing forcing me to do anything, so I suppose that would be a bad idea, wouldn't it? I suppose the best choices would be:

1. Perfect Health - It would be something less to worry about for sure.
  2. Ability to erase the memories of others - Would serve me well, as every failed social interaction would then have no consequences for me.
  3. Maybe a job that requires no social interaction at all.
  • Brohoof 2

32 minutes ago, Rarity Gemstones said:

Ability to erase the memories of others - Would serve me well, as every failed social interaction would then have no consequences for me.

Have you seen the Equestria Girls special "Forgotten Friendship"? It's precisely about that.