Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why can't Hasbro just end their contract with Discovery Family early?

FirePuppy

Honestly, can't it be possible that Discovery Family can just end their contract much sooner instead of letting it last for the full amount of time? Besides, international productions of My Little Pony and Transformers before 2021 are already suffering seriously pervasive censorship worldwide, and Hasbro is already giving Discovery Family a hard time themselves by forcing their shows back on the channel while the network itself is trying to make room for WB cartoons.

And if they dare renew their contract again, I am starting a petition to force them to move to another service.

I'm guessing monetary reasons? I don't honestly know anything about the contract but I have to imagine it wouldn't be financially beneficial for Hasbro to end the contract prematurely especially with the toy market really struggling right now.

(edited)

Either way, I still want to see Hasbro move to anywhere but Discovery Family or any other network without a VOD service by the time their contract with DF expires next year at the earliest, since that's when it's currently scheduled. If I see any kind of My Little Pony episode appearing in the April 2025 schedule, I am writing that petition I mentioned earlier.

Not only that, Hasbro Entertainment won't be very likely to earn much money through both Discovery Family and YouTube combined.

Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an expert on these kind of matters, so if Hasbro and Discovery Family still have an active contract, I cannot say for sure why it hasn't expired early.

But based on other similar contracts I've seen from other, similar companies...

• One reason could be that a contract cannot be voided early unless both sides mutually agree to it. If one side is holding out, the other side would have to seek legal help to end the contract, possibly go to court. In some cases, it would be better to avoid the legal option since the legal fees could have been used for something more important.
  • It's also possible that one side still sees potential for something in their favor (profits, product promotion, ratings, etc.), so instead of voiding the contract early, they are trying to come up with the best strategy to make the most of the contract while it lasts. In some cases, renewing a contract means renegotiating the terms so that you get an even better deal than last time. However, the other side won't be so inclined to renew if you're trying to get out of the contract early. You gotta prove that you're still a business partner worth having around.

But hey, I don't work for either Hasbro or Discovery Family. Would love for someone to climb that corporate ladder and find out what is really going on. :derp: All I can say from my personal experience is, if no one is ending a legal contract early, there must be a very important reason at play here. It's probably better to let it play out. Who knows, we might get another MLP cartoon out of it. One that is even better than the last generation; perhaps a generation that returns to television instead of being strictly online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have no experience and knowledge in that particular area, nor do I know Hasbro's intentions. That said I'm assuming that either Hasbro is getting a profit out of it or doesn't care to put the effort into ending the contract. Like I said though, I really can't make an educated guess.