Ponysona Help

purplefiend

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. 

So, I'd really like to make myself a ponysona, but I always get kind of tripped up when it comes to a special talent/cutie mark. Considering I'm an entire person with lots of depth, I don't exactly have only one thing I'm passionate about/known for, which makes it difficult for me to decide on just one thing to base a ponysona around.

I feel like art is something that lots of people's ponysonas are based on, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it makes me want to avoid that as my sona's special talent so they stand out more.

Spoiler

The other obstacle is the fact that I'm part of a system, which makes things a bit more complicated. Should each of the alters in our system get their own sona? Should my sona be plural as well? I really can't decide. :worry: I especially don't want plurality to be my sona's only "thing," you know?

If anyone has advice on what a good place to start might be, please share! :lookup:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do you have a favorite hobby or interest? A tabletop gamer might have a dice set as a cutie mark. A filly in FiM got bones as her cutie mark and she found she had a talent for archaeology. My Captain Fetlock OC has a Jolly Roger (skull & crossbones) cutie mark that represents (for him) swashbuckling and his family heritage. 

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 2

@purplefiend 

A plural ponysona could perhaps have different cutie marks for different alters and change them with them. Despite I have never seen such in MLP, it seems logical to me.

Cutie marks aren't always directly showing off a special talent. You could also use some overall category, something magical/mystical or nature related. I personally don't know my ponysona's special talent. I'm teaching myself video game development, but before that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my live and suffered much more from my mental disorders. Having learned more about myself, marked a big change in my live. Since then, I've used polar lights as my cutie mark, as they symbolize a great relief and realization for me.

Maybe you could share something more about you and/or your alters, if you/they want to?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You can use anything representative really. I have a slight preference for vague solid black symbols, like my own Fluer de Lis in an olive wreath for strength and diplomacy.

Or one of my characters just has an old medieval style eagle silhouette, again for diplomacy but specifically for their homeland. It's ok if no one but you gets the meaning just from looking at it, so long at its still recognizable.

You could have a solid square, and others would be like, I have no idea what that means, but at least I can tell what it is, and it'll prompt the question. Then having a sufficient answer and you're good. For example, that could stand for solidarity, and or mystery, like a censor.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, Crypty Scribbles said:

@purplefiend I think that if any of your alters would have their own ponysona you could work on each of them more detailed.

Most of us do each have our own PonyTown avatars that we made to resemble ourselves, so we could adapt those into a ponysona for each of us. :dash:

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

Do you have a favorite hobby or interest? A tabletop gamer might have a dice set as a cutie mark. A filly in FiM got bones as her cutie mark and she found she had a talent for archaeology. My Captain Fetlock OC has a Jolly Roger (skull & crossbones) cutie mark that represents (for him) swashbuckling and his family heritage. 

Doll making/toy making could be my ponysona's special talent. :dash: In which case, he would probably need to be a unicorn so he could actually use tools effectively. 

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Aurora Pridemare said:

@purplefiend 

A plural ponysona could perhaps have different cutie marks for different alters and change them with them. Despite I have never seen such in MLP, it seems logical to me.

Cutie marks aren't always directly showing off a special talent. You could also use some overall category, something magical/mystical or nature related. I personally don't know my ponysona's special talent. I'm teaching myself video game development, but before that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my live and suffered much more from my mental disorders. Having learned more about myself, marked a big change in my live. Since then, I've used polar lights as my cutie mark, as they symbolize a great relief and realization for me.

Maybe you could share something more about you and/or your alters, if you/they want to?

There are some fictives in our system that probably wouldn't be too difficult to make sonas for, but other alters are a little more complicated to write for.

It might be interesting to have individual sonas in addition to one that represents us as a collective. Actually, that gives me some ideas! :laugh:

• Brohoof 2

@purplefiend

It's a good idea to use the PonyTown avatars as a starting point. From there you should start making the easiest to do ponysonas and work your way through to the most complex ones. Along the way you could get a better feeling automatically, for how to create each alter's sona. And don't put too much pressure on yourselves. Creating is a dynamic process and will take some time, especially when it comes to details.

You could also think about what each of your favorite films, series, games, vehicles, animals, or even colors are. Consider how you and your alters would live or work in different places in Equestria and as different pony types. You can then use all of that information to find connections and figure out what you and your alters like the most. In the end, you could also use more than one thing with one meaning in a cutie mark or combine them into an overall theme with a matching symbol. For example, a heart could represent kindness and caring about others, children, animals, plants, etc., combined as well as passions or a specific love.

I hope, it's somewhat understandable and helpful. My English is not the best. :coco:

• Brohoof 2