Connecting OCs to canon characters, yes or no?

mistrene

I wasn't suuuure where to post this? Correct me if there's a different topic that's more fitting for this.

What is the general opinion on including your character not only in the universe of G1-G5, but also having them interact and build relationships with canonical characters? What crosses the line between too much and realistic, if there even is a line?

Should interactions to a certain extent or even in general be tied to an alternative universe, or can stuff like self-inserts and strong relationships be written freely? In the name of personal comfort and expression, I feel like you can of course write and think of having an OC interact in any way with the canon character of your choice. But in the context of roleplaying, storybuilding and writing, is it more appropriate? I'd love to hear opinions on this.

(For a little extra context: I'm interested in building a small relationship between my character and Twilight Sparkle, as a distant acquaintance who went their own different ways after their studies in Canterlot. They never got along very well because of rather clashing personalities, although they share the same ambitions of studying to gain knowledge out of personal interest. Perhaps a brief experience together during the timeline of FIM would be fun to enrich my character's story. That idea got me interested in the topic in general.)

• Brohoof 3

I think it’s fine as long as you don’t make the OC this like, perfect character who everyone loves and who suddenly solves all the problems the canon characters might face. Your example seems like it would be really interesting!

It is your story and characters though at the end of the day so you’re free to write them however you want :). That’s just how I feel personally.

• Brohoof 3

1688011602589297.png.895617a26d9ad95396f01be743553b79.png

I'm pretty sure that's the strong side of the MLP fandom is the common lore of MLP universe, so being written into the story of cannon characters is rather good than bad and makes your character more interesting.

• Brohoof 3
  • Excited 1

1 hour ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

I think it’s fine as long as you don’t make the OC this like, perfect character who everyone loves and who suddenly solves all the problems the canon characters might face. Your example seems like it would be really interesting!

It is your story and characters though at the end of the day so you’re free to write them however you want :). That’s just how I feel personally.

That's true! I see no harm in writing characters like that, honestly. It might be a bit cringeworthy looking at it from the sidelines, but almost all people I've known who began with characters like that, developed and experimented into creating lovely designs and ideas. Who knows it might just be the phase one might have to get over?

I actually have a funny little story about that. As a kid, I of course had an Alicorn OC. And she was the Princess of Balance, and if she passed, the world's balance would eventually crumble. Quite dramatic huh? :laugh:

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Mixed bag, lets be honest :dash: When it comes to cannon and fan character interactions many wont like it, many wont care and many will like it

If making fanfiction is a creative outlet for you I say don't tread on eggshells trying to appeal to everybody, make what you're passionate about and it'll attract a like minded crowd :discord_balloon:

• Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1

beans

(edited)

If you establish the relationship existing in a parallel/alternate universe, then you're free to do whatever you'd like. Otherwise, all of your OC's actions should only have temporary or reversible consequences out of respect for the canon.

So the inclusion of your OC should be an episodic one, where they help or need help with something, and everything can be tied up in a neat bow by the end, so that the Canon characters can return to their lives as though nothing ever happened.

The best example that comes to mind, is this fan animation about Starlight.

Spoiler

Spoiler

She feels as though she's missed out on crucial moments between Twilight and Co., so to not feel left out she travels back in time to the events of Season 1 Episode 1 and helps save the day alongside them as they have time and time again until she is inevitably caught and learns her lesson. She proceeds to travel back and forward again so as to reset the timeline to the point where she started, feeling all the better from her experience.

I've never personally finished or really fledged out any fan fictions despite several ideas. Any interactions with canon characters I have in mind are brief encounters/in passing, usually occur in the past well before the events of G4, or are an inbetween worlds kind of thing. 

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's really cool to do stuff like that, I had an OC who was the cousin of RD, his name was Nightstorm, and I currently have two OCs who are alt versions of Fluttershy and Scootaloo named Fluttertough and Scootablue.