Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Replacing the mane six with background characters

Bowser

Well would it be a good or bad if the mane six were replaced by background characters? For instance Twilight Sparkle is replaced with Lyra and Applejack getting replaced by Octavia or something like that.

I'd think it'd be and alright decision to give the background characters a little bit of shine so the audience can know more about them.

If you think its a good idea then state the list of the ponies that could replace the original mane six for an episode.

My list:

1.Lyra

2.Colgate

3.Carrottop

4.Octavia

5.Derpy

6.Bon Bon

Bad. Them being mysterious and anonymous in a way, makes them special. Their personality's are whatever we want them to be when they don't have their own episode.

• Brohoof 2

I think that it's an interesting idea, but I don't know about six other ponies carrying a whole episode... It would be cool if it were, like a five minute segment or something. The ponies I'd choose are:

• Lemon Hearts
  • Raindrop
  • Derpy
  • Amethyst Star
  • Bon-Bon
  • Golden Harvest

Bad. Them being mysterious and anonymous in a way, makes them special. Their personality's are whatever we want them to be when they don't have their own episode.

I've never agreed with that sentiment. Being anonymous with no defined personality does not make a character interesting. Derpy I can understand the fans not wanting to have speaking rolls anymore, because she is the sort of character who is really intended for background jokes. But why shouldn't other background characters have their time in the spotlight? Look how well The Simpsons did with its extended cast; there's no reason why the mane six and a select few others should be the only ponies in ponyville with personalities.

I think a single episode focusing on some of the background ponies would be a fantastic idea, though I doubt very much one would ever come about. I'd be happy just for some defined character traits to appear. The fan's ideas for the personalities of the characters fine, and they aren't going to go anywhere, so let the show's creators do something creative too.

I've never agreed with that sentiment. Being anonymous with no defined personality does not make a character interesting. Derpy I can understand the fans not wanting to have speaking rolls anymore, because she is the sort of character who is really intended for background jokes. But why shouldn't other background characters have their time in the spotlight? Look how well The Simpsons did with its extended cast; there's no reason why the mane six and a select few others should be the only ponies in ponyville with personalities.

I think a single episode focusing on some of the background ponies would be a fantastic idea, though I doubt very much one would ever come about. I'd be happy just for some defined character traits to appear. The fan's ideas for the personalities of the characters fine, and they aren't going to go anywhere, so let the show's creators do something creative too.

The Simpsons is very different. MLP: FIM has only had 2 seasons so far. If this were to happen, it would happen far down the line. We have already made personality's for all of the background characters (Videos, comics, or fanfics). Not all of them would be appropriate or in tune with the show.
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, this reminds me of the webcomic idea I've been kicking around in my head for months now, that focused on 5 background characters and Trixie. A sort of "subordinate six" who would live outside of ponyville and have their own stories. I even got as far as defining the personalities and backstories for all the characters, intentionally trying to make them a bit different from how most fans portray them. But I have no artistic skills, and it's hard to find artists/cartoonist who wouldn't rather draw comics based on their own ideas.

• Brohoof 1

The Simpsons is very different. MLP: FIM has only had 2 seasons so far. If this were to happen, it would happen far down the line. We have already made personality's for all of the background characters (Videos, comics, or fanfics). Not all of them would be appropriate or in tune with the show.

I didn't say I wanted the fan personalities to make it into the show, I said I wanted the show writers to come up with their OWN personalities. This is their show after all, not ours. And nothing they do can take away from what we, the fans, have created, so let the writers have their share of the fun too.

I didn't say I wanted the fan personalities to make it into the show, I said I wanted the show writers to come up with their OWN personalities. This is their show after all, not ours. And nothing they do can take away from what we, the fans, have created, so let the writers have their share of the fun too.

You do understand that if they made the background characters have different personality's than what we, the fans, have made, then they would receive a lot of hate.

(edited)

You do understand that if they made the background characters have different personality's than what we, the fans, have made, then they would receive a lot of hate.

Then we would be pretty shitty fans to hate on the people who are providing us this wonderful show, wouldn't we?

We don't own this show. We have no say what goes into it. It's one thing to get angry over excessive censorship, like with the Derpy debacle. But if fans were crying foul for Lyra not being obsessed with humans in the show? That'd have to be the day I leave the fan circle. I can't deal with stupidity like that.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Brohoof 1

Then we would be pretty shitty fans to hate on the people who are providing us this wonderful show, wouldn't we?

We don't own this show. We have no say what goes into it. It's one thing to get angry over excessive censorship, like with the Derpy debacle. But if fans were crying foul for Lyra not being obsessed with humans in the show? That'd have to be the day I leave the fan circle. I can't deal with stupidity like that.

I wouldn't say that we would be "shitty" fans. We would just be unappreciative. I think that you should realize that not every fan can agree with you. We don't own this show, but it wouldn't be anything without it's fans. If we didn't watch it, it would be canceled.

Actually, this reminds me of the webcomic idea I've been kicking around in my head for months now, that focused on 5 background characters and Trixie. A sort of "subordinate six" who would live outside of ponyville and have their own stories. I even got as far as defining the personalities and backstories for all the characters, intentionally trying to make them a bit different from how most fans portray them. But I have no artistic skills, and it's hard to find artists/cartoonist who wouldn't rather draw comics based on their own ideas.

I've done the exact same thing, except I created an entirely original six and given them all names, background stories, ect. I have all this stuff written about them, but I have no artistic skills either.

New Twilight Sparkle: Dr. Whooves

New Spike: Derpy

New Applejack: Octavia

New Rainbow Dash: Vinyl Scratch

-Dr. Whooves, assuming he is reminiscent of the Doctor in personality, would be a clever replacement to our purple braniac. I see Derpy with him a lot in fan media so she'd be his assistant, like a new Spike.

-Octavia and Vinyl are opposites and could easily have frequent arguments over their vastly different music tastes, but at the end of the day, are still good friends. Just like AJ and RD and how they fight, but fight playfully as friends.

Too lazy to try and think of the rest, srrz :P

• 9 years later...

I had the idea for a similar topic, so I'm glad that it exists, even though it's a decade old!
Two users from here are still active in the forum! :pinkie: And some others until 2020.

Here are my picks!

Unicorns:
1. Minty Bubblegum, the main mane character!
2. Minuette, the happy, funny and cute one! She promised Pinkie to watch over her sisters.

Pegasi:
3. Blossomforth. The creative flyer who is very acrobatic.
4. Inky Rose. She is the cool fashion designer who is misunderstood.

Earth Ponies (Pie sister duo):
5. Marble Pie as the shy, friendly and caring one.
6. Limestone Pie, the one with fire in her blood! Hurt her friends and she will hurt you.

♡ ♡ ♡ Bonus ♡ ♡ ♡

Spike replacement:
7. Cinder Glow. As Kirin she also has unique abilities. Loves art, nature and is well-balanced.

Princess
8. Cadance would be the princess who watches over them.

The 3 kid characters (Earth Ponies):
9. Petunia Paleo. Smart & adventurous.
10. Lily Longsocks. Very strong and kind.
11. Scribble Pad. The special one with an creepy obsession.

P.S.: No one turns into an alicorn. :Daydreaming:

Twilight: Amethyst Star

Pinkie Pie: Minty (the G3 reboot, not the bubblegum mare)

AppleJack: Nurse Redheart

Fluttershy: Junebug

Rarity: Sunshine Smiles

Rainbow Dash: White Lightning

As a bonus, here's my explanations:

- Amethyst is very organized and smart like Twilight. In fact, she was the organization icon in Ponyville until Twilight took over that role.

- Both Minty and Pinkie are silly, love sweets, and always want to make ponies happy (assuming that Minty acts the same as she did in G3).

- Both Nurse Redheart and AppleJack are caring and practical in their professions and place a high value on the livihood of others.

- There isn't much known about Junebug but she seems very sweet and shy.

- Sunshine Smiles appears to be very enthusiastic about fashion and creativity just like Rarity.

- White Lightning most likely works in a weather job and she seems pretty agile like Rainbow if you spot her flying around in the background.