Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Britney Spears

Certainly a pioneer of pop music as we know it today. I recently became obsessed with her earlier material (particularly In the Zone and anything prior) and she's addictive. Her recent songs are still catchy and nice to listen to, but lack a certain element that I can't pinpoint.

My personal favorites include, "Hit Me Baby One More Time" "Lucky" "Toxic" "Everytime" "Crazy" "Oops... I Did It Again" and "Me Against the Music."

Toxic is my favourite.

Am I bad for LOVING her? ;) ~

My personal favorites include, "Hit Me Baby One More Time" "Lucky" "Toxic" "Everytime" "Crazy" "Oops... I Did It Again" and "Me Against the Music."

These plus 'Circus' are all my faves o.o no joke ~
  • Brohoof 1

Britney Spears was a favorite during my elementary school years, then I started to not like it so much anymore.

• Brohoof 1

The music industry tends to go about just picking up talent instead of producing it now a days.

What I mean is, back when music as it is today started to get popular, music labels would pick up bands and help them flourish into something huge. Look at some of the biggest stars today and their bands. Aerosmith, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen; these are prime examples of this. Their starting music wasn't really all that good. Even their beginning albums had mixed reactions to fans and the public. But time was spent to let these bands flourish under the right conditions and we now have huge music stars through it.

Now, in today's market, the industry just wants to make a quick buck without all the work. So they pick up anyone that can produce music people will dribble over and sell it. We get poor quality in music through that. Seriously, tell me the last time an actual good rock album came out. Heck, even pop rock! The last full album I genuinely liked was Mumford and Sons. I listened to that album at least 300 times by now. And they had a great deal of time to produce their music.

Britney Spears a pioneer of pop music? No. I agree she contributed to a great deal of pop music, but she only continued its road to how it is today. She didn't contribute anything to help its genre overall at all. Heck, Offspring which is a pop punk band had more contribution to their genre with their last album and that was what, three years ago?

Once again, this isn't me bashing on Spears. I agree she made some music I even enjoy. But she did really help do much in the industry as a whole.

Just as a cool bit, here's A Static Lullaby's version of Toxic. It's weird, but interesting.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Toxic is my favourite.

Am I bad for LOVING her? ;) ~

These plus 'Circus' are all my faves o.o no joke ~

Oh, yes, I forgot that one. I liek that one too. :3

I like quite a few songs off of Circus, and I think the hidden message in "If U Seek Amy" is hilarious.

Edited by Dylan

she was popular when i was in elementry school in the 2000's but i didnt care at the time because that was when i hated music, i still dont care for her because i hate pop music

Certainly a pioneer of pop music as we know it today. I recently became obsessed with her earlier material (particularly In the Zone and anything prior) and she's addictive. Her recent songs are still catchy and nice to listen to, but lack a certain element that I can't pinpoint.

Pioneer? That might be a little much. If she hadn't gone all "Skank" and imploded, I think she may have made a much bigger impact on the industry.

The biggest issue I had with he over the years is how she took herself from a pop queen and hero to tweens to a skanky tramp that made you feel dirty for watching her videos. That and she had the odd monotone nasal way of singing that sounded the same way in almost all of her hits.

I do hope that she can put herself back at the top and I hope that continues to climb out of the trailer park.

Pioneer? That might be a little much. If she hadn't gone all "Skank" and imploded, I think she may have made a much bigger impact on the industry.

I think prior to "Blackout, yes, she was a pioneer. I mean, she'd been taking on more writing responsibilities, and then "In the Zone" was written almost entirely by her. I think she would've continued that way had her personal life not taken a down turn. Of course, everything prior to that was explosive in the industry and definitely established her.

• Brohoof 1

I used to be all over the pop scene when I was in Elementary School. Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, etc.

I know it's hard to believe, me, Raronoopa, a known metalhead on these boards, used to (and still does) like Nsync and Britney Spears!

Used to have two of her albums, Oops...I Did It Again and whatever one had You Drive Me Crazy on it (The one with the pink background and Britney looked really young and innocent. lol)

That was basically my image of Britney and then Toxic came out and I was like O_O

The music industry tends to go about just picking up talent instead of producing it now a days.

What I mean is, back when music as it is today started to get popular, music labels would pick up bands and help them flourish into something huge. Look at some of the biggest stars today and their bands. Aerosmith, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen; these are prime examples of this. Their starting music wasn't really all that good. Even their beginning albums had mixed reactions to fans and the public. But time was spent to let these bands flourish under the right conditions and we now have huge music stars through it.

Now, in today's market, the industry just wants to make a quick buck without all the work. So they pick up anyone that can produce music people will dribble over and sell it. We get poor quality in music through that. Seriously, tell me the last time an actual good rock album came out. Heck, even pop rock! The last full album I genuinely liked was Mumford and Sons. I listened to that album at least 300 times by now. And they had a great deal of time to produce their music.

Britney Spears a pioneer of pop music? No. I agree she contributed to a great deal of pop music, but she only continued its road to how it is today. She didn't contribute anything to help its genre overall at all. Heck, Offspring which is a pop punk band had more contribution to their genre with their last album and that was what, three years ago?

Once again, this isn't me bashing on Spears. I agree she made some music I even enjoy. But she did really help do much in the industry as a whole.

Just as a cool bit, here's A Static Lullaby's version of Toxic. It's weird, but interesting.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwXOj55nIY

Whatchoo talkin' about, Disturbed just came out with Asylum like a year ago. Good rock/metal album ish good. </Disturbed fanboying>

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think prior to "Blackout, yes, she was a pioneer. I mean, she'd been taking on more writing responsibilities, and then "In the Zone" was written almost entirely by her. I think she would've continued that way had her personal life not taken a down turn. Of course, everything prior to that was explosive in the industry and definitely established her.

But, how is writing her own music make her a pioneer? Artists have been doing that forever. Madonna (which I am not a big fan of) is a pioneer. Brit was just a popular star that was starting to take control of her career, which is great, but not a pioneer.

Was she a huge rising star, sure. But I fail to see one thing that she pioneered. Not hating on her, just sayin' ;)

Edited by Ol' Sarge
  • Brohoof 1

I used to be all over the pop scene when I was in Elementary School. Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, etc.

I know it's hard to believe, me, Raronoopa, a known metalhead on these boards, used to (and still does) like Nsync and Britney Spears!

Used to have two of her albums, Oops...I Did It Again and whatever one had You Drive Me Crazy on it (The one with the pink background and Britney looked really young and innocent. lol)

That was basically my image of Britney and then Toxic came out and I was like O_O

Whatchoo talkin' about, Disturbed just came out with Asylum like a year ago. Good rock/metal album ish good. </Disturbed fanboying>

I will always regard Disturbed's greatest album as Believe. God was that a good album. Not arguing here but, why bring that band up when Spears was the topic here? Gonna go listen to some Believe now.

Well you said to tell you the last time an actual good rock album came out so I told you. :P

I actually tend to think Disturbed only gets better with every album and I think Believe is their worst one (though I still like it obviously)

Ahem, I'm not trying to change the subject or anything or be off-topic. Was merely responding to what you said. I'll stop talkin' about Disturbed now. :P

But, how is writing her own music make her a pioneer? Artists have been doing that forever. Madonna (which I am not a big fan of) is a pioneer. Brit was just a popular star that was starting to take control of her career, which is great, but not a pioneer.

Was she a huge rising star, sure. But I fail to see one thing that she pioneered. Not hating on her, just sayin' ;)

She was a pioneer of bubblegum pop, something that became huge in the 90s and was made big primarily by her. It was contributed to by others, like Christina Aguilera, but she was the ringleader.

• Brohoof 1

She was a pioneer of bubblegum pop, something that became huge in the 90s and was made big primarily by her. It was contributed to by others, like Christina Aguilera, but she was the ringleader.

But she wasn't the first. Bubblegum Pop has been around for quite sometime, she just caught the wave that the boy bands like NSYNC and Backstreet Boys had started thanks to Disney.

Look back over the decades and every one has had their own version of a Brittany and Bubble Gum pop.

But she wasn't the first. Bubblegum Pop has been around for quite sometime, she just caught the wave that the boy bands like NSYNC and Backstreet Boys had started thanks to Disney.

Look back over the decades and every one has had their own version of a Brittany and Bubble Gum pop.

As someone that listens to musics from all time frames I disagree.

There is a huge distinction between the pop in the 90s than any other time period.

She is a pioneer.

Also about your earlier comment about her going all 'skank',

I think that's really nasty.

You couldn't even fathom what it's like to be her, and live as she had to live.

She was a child.

Just remember, that's a human being you're talking about.

Don't be so quick the judge.

~

• Brohoof 1

There is a huge distinction between the pop in the 90s than any other time period.

She is a pioneer.

She was a child.

~

I definitely agree with what Shankveld said, and I think it brings up the point that even if some don't believe she was a pioneer (obviously I do), she was a female in an otherwise male-dominated genre, with a huge amount of boy bands. She really did pioneer a genre that evolved into the pop we know today.

• Brohoof 1

She is a pioneer.

She was a child.

~

I'll concede the point of the "skank" comment.

But just because you listen to music from different time periods doesn't make you an expert on pop culture. I have lived through the different time periods and managed a music store when Brittany's first CD came out, so I am very familiar with her rise to fame. Brittany was certainly a force during the '90's but how much of that was because she got her album out there first? Christina was right behind her and is arguably a better singer.

I definitely agree with what Shankveld said, and I think it brings up the point that even if some don't believe she was a pioneer (obviously I do), she was a female in an otherwise male-dominated genre, with a huge amount of boy bands. She really did pioneer a genre that evolved into the pop we know today.

You are certainly correct, her success was primarily because of the boy bands, they were the ones who were promoting her on tour when she first arose from Disney. Disney is the real puppet master here in regard to pop culture in the '90's.

Again, I'm really not a Brittany hater. I just don't think that she is a pioneer, that's all.

Thank you for a spirited discussion, but you will have your feelings as I have mine. I fear we will be at this doing a point-counter point all night, if we don't agree to disagree and respect each other's opinion.

I'll concede the point of the "skank" comment.

But just because you listen to music from different time periods doesn't make you an expert on pop culture. I have lived through the different time periods and managed a music store when Brittany's first CD came out, so I am very familiar with her rise to fame. Brittany was certainly a force during the '90's but how much of that was because she got her album out there first? Christina was right behind her and is arguably a better singer.

You are certainly correct, her success was primarily because of the boy bands, they were the ones who were promoting her on tour when she first arose from Disney. Disney is the real puppet master here in regard to pop culture in the '90's.

Again, I'm really not a Brittany hater. I just don't think that she is a pioneer, that's all.

Thank you for a spirited discussion, but you will have your feelings as I have mine. I fear we will be at this doing a point-counter point all night, if we don't agree to disagree and respect each other's opinion.

Oh great, the age card.

I can't discuss with someone who is going to look down on my knowledge because of their age.

-discussion end-

• Brohoof 2

I really think (and I am not playing an age card) that pop was pioneered in the 1980's. Look at Micheal Jackson, Paula Abdul, Madonna, and the massive host of pop artists. I am not saying Britney is bad, but I think if we want to look at pop's pioneering days I gotta go with the 80's

• Brohoof 1

Oh great, the age card.

I can't discuss with someone who is going to look down on my knowledge because of their age.

-discussion end-

*coughIagreecough*

Er, I mean, yes! Let's agree to disagree!

*coughIagreecough*

Er, I mean, yes! Let's agree to disagree!

et tu Dylan? Wow, right after you sent a friend request too :angry:

For the record, it wasn't age, but experience and knowledge that was being referred to.

Well you said to tell you the last time an actual good rock album came out so I told you. :P

I actually tend to think Disturbed only gets better with every album and I think Believe is their worst one (though I still like it obviously)

Ahem, I'm not trying to change the subject or anything or be off-topic. Was merely responding to what you said. I'll stop talkin' about Disturbed now. :P

I found that album a bit bland compared to their earlier stuff. Still and more than likely will always regard Believe as their best.

As for a good album, I was just stating that since their really aren't any out in the last so odd years. Most bands are now producing singles in regards to albums because the change of market. Most people just want the one good song and go to iTunes for that now instead of an album; why should a band go out of their way to produce a great album when they can just do great songs and have fill ins for the rest of an album.

No, I haven't actually seen a great rock album in a very long time. Mumoford and Sons was a curve ball though, that came from nowhere and am glad someone had something of a full good album out.

et tu Dylan? Wow, right after you sent a friend request too :angry:

For the record, it wasn't age, but experience and knowledge that was being referred to.

Yes, I would like to be friends. :) I enjoy discussions like this one.

• Brohoof 1