Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe'

ProjectRKA

Forcing A mobile/Tablet interface on PC gamers is probably not going to be good. I'd imagine it isn't going to look entirely pretty on a 21" Screen either. But I think he is mostly pointing that gamers might be lured away by Windows own store. Any sane PC gamer already knows that Games for Windows is... Not that great. But the usability and integration of that product may tempt some people to use it as an alternative to steam.

I strongly doubt that microsoft would be willing to add in the sales that make steam so damn popular in first place. Without them, steam isn't even half what it currently is.

I'd really prefer if Microsoft would just let it remain the way it is now. I think a lot of people would still prefer Steam and stay on Windows 7/Vista.

If they plan on connecting it to Xbox LIVE though, that'd probably be a fairly big factor.

(and ugh, i prefer the regular desktop much more than than the new interface)

As a long-time Linux user, I was really excited to read this:

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

My 1st reaction is to think, “Yes! Finally! It's about time already!!” My 2nd reaction is cynicism. I really hope that this isn't just a strategy that Valve is using to scare Microsoft enough to keep Windows 8 an open platform.

Frankly, as much as I love Linux, the idea of Linux “hedging” against Windows 8 is kind of unlikely. The fact of the matter is that Linux is only a marginal player as a desktop operating system. Just take a look at these stats:

http://www.statowl.com/operating_system_market_share.php

Do you see that tiny little slice of the pie chart? Yeah, that's Linux with 0.78% of the desktop operating system market. That's not nearly enough to offset any loss of Windows 8 customers. Even if Valve goes all out with its Linux support, I still have my doubts about their ability to make a lot of money by doing so.

• Brohoof 1

I strongly doubt that microsoft would be willing to add in the sales that make steam so damn popular in first place. Without them, steam isn't even half what it currently is.

Without Microsoft Steam wouldn't exist at all as Gabe Newell decided to create steam while working at Microsoft after seeing a fellow employee leave the company to find success in his own ventures

(edited)

They've worked so hard making Episode 3 built on Windows 7 that when 8 comes out they will have to start over.

After Left 4 Dead 3, Portal 3 and Team Fortress 3 over course.

Edited by Jammo

They've worked so hard making Episode 3 built on Windows 7 that when 8 comes out they will have to start over.

After Left 4 Dead 3, Portal 3 and Team Fortress 3 over course.

If they want the games on Windows 8 that is. And I don't think that will happen any time soon after Newell's statement. ^^
  • Brohoof 1

stuff

I used Ubuntu for a while before I ran into software issues with it which resulted in the kernel not booting or something but it was the smoothest and most enjoyable experience I have had with an OS, and if I didn't have to keep going back to windows to play TF2 and the like, I would've never touched windows again. The idea of this coming into play really excites me.

(edited)

If they want the games on Windows 8 that is. And I don't think that will happen any time soon after Newell's statement. ^^

Wouldn't it be priceless if after Ep 3 came out they announced Ep 4, 5 and 6 as the next trilogy?

Man there would be a price on his head.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 2

I have used the developer preview of Windows 8, so I can vouch for this: it really is a catastrophe. Everything from the UI to the performance is just awful.

• Brohoof 1

If they do port all the games to Linux I might have to change OS.

Fuck Windows 8, man. What the hell where they thinking. Didn't they learn their lesson with Vista?

If they do port all the games to Linux I might have to change OS.

Fuck Windows 8, man. What the hell where they thinking. Didn't they learn their lesson with Vista?

Based on Microsoft's track record, every second OS is awful.

XP-good.

Vista-awful.

7-good.

8-awful.

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't think anybody that is going to play PC games and are knowledgeable about them will even think about buying Windows 8. I'm just not looking forward to Windows 8 being a standard anywhere.

Closed platform?

But that's why Apple isn't as good as Windows. Windows was meant to be open. To allow the user to be free.

Honestly, no one cares about the true gamers anymore. From Bethestia's force feeding games that have little creative quality, to the age of consoles, PC gameing is being ignored. If Microsoft plans to do this, fuck them. They need to keep it at open platform. Don't fix what isn't broken just because EVERYONE else wants it.

I'd totally agree with that statement. I appreciate Microsoft's efforts, but this isn't a step in the right direction for them. What Microsoft needs is someone who has a clear vision of what Microsoft will be in the future, to consumers, to the world, and as a company. Steve Ballmer obviously doesn't possess that vision, because his motto right now is "We will leave no stone unturned in this battle against Apple." To me, that translates to getting into every market (and then some) Apple gets into by creating subpar products that ultimately flop. What kind of business plan is that?

Really, Microsoft needs to slash its products across the board and really focus their energy on one really great product. To me, Windows Phone is too late in the game to compete with Android and iOS, Windows 8 is a hybrid operating system that seems to have one foot in the door, yet with another outside the door, and Surface will be yet another attempted 'iPad Killer' that ultimately kills nothing but itself. The problem right now is that no one wants these products because they belong to a beleaguered brand ('Microsoft' does not hold nearly as much power as 'Google' and 'Apple') and because they feel like knock-offs; why have a knock-off when you can have the real thing?

Microsoft must either create a new category or revolutionize an existing one to the point where it's not recognizable. At this point, it seems it's waiting to see what Apple/Google will do, waiting a few years to create their version, and then releasing it, only to be very behind the competition.

I think this Kotaku article outlines the main problems with windows 8, It is quite an interesting read:

http://kotaku.com/5897763/three-killer-problems-that-threaten-windows-8

I don't think Valve will have much of a choice, the adoption of Linux is still nowhere near enough for them to abandon the Windows 8 Platform. When Windows 8 comes out most new computers will be shipped with it, so it will still be necessary for them to develop for it, no matter how disgruntled they may be about it.

I think this Kotaku article outlines the main problems with windows 8, It is quite an interesting read:

http://kotaku.com/58...eaten-windows-8

I don't think Valve will have much of a choice, the adoption of Linux is still nowhere near enough for them to abandon the Windows 8 Platform. When Windows 8 comes out most new computers will be shipped with it, so it will still be necessary for them to develop for it, no matter how disgruntled they may be about it.

The problem is, that windows 8 comes with an integrated windows store. And Steam/Valve don't want their games to end up on that store. Newell says that they've always been free riders, and that they want to stay that way.

In my opinion, they shouldn't add the windows store to the PC version of windows 8. It should stay on the mobile version.

• Brohoof 2

If Valve were to go to Linux and very few people were impressed with Windows 8, don't you think that other companies and developers may start developing for Linux too? This would potentially convince more people to come to Linux, as it doesn't cost as much as a Mac and is a good alternative to 8.

A full version of this cherry-picked interview with Gabe Newell can be viewed here: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/25/valves-gabe-newell-talks/

I'm a mac gamer so Steam will always be my home :D

Maybe with the inability to make PC games on windows 8 the mac will rise to power :D (one can only dream)

I'm a mac gamer so Steam will always be my home :D

Maybe with the inability to make PC games on windows 8 the mac will rise to power :D (one can only dream)

Mac will rise to power ? Mac, and/or Apple for that matter, is already the most overrated piece of shit, in my opinion. :P
  • Brohoof 2

Mac will rise to power ? Mac, and/or Apple for that matter, is already the most overrated piece of shit, in my opinion. :P

You wouldnt be wrong with that opinion my friend. I just meant getting games for the mac rather than having to resort to using a shitty ipod with apps that cost more than theyre worth.

I never choose my Mac I got it for my birfday :)

• Brohoof 1