Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Canterlot unicorns vs Ponyville unicorns

Riverleaf Breeze

I have watched Sweet and Elite last night,and I'm now pondering over the differences between the Canterlot unicorns and the Ponyville unicorns.

Many of the unicorns seen in Canterlot,seemly look down upon the unicorns in Ponyville.

Is it odd that Twilight Sparkle who lived most of her life in Canterlot,seems to fit right in Ponyville. And Rarity who was born and raised in Ponyville,is right at home in Canterlot?

• Brohoof 1

Twilight was a reclusive shut in. She never tried to fit in with the nobility and upper class snobs. We don't know much about her parents, but they seemed rather down to earth. She fits in in Ponyville because she acts like herself.

Rarity wants to be rich and famous, and to be one of the Canterlot elite. All her life, she wanted a better life. She looks down on Ponyville, and is a little ashamed of her small town heritage. She learned everything she could about Canterlot life. After all, the fasion world probably revolves around Canterlot and Manehatten.

• Brohoof 3

I've actually pondered over the same question as well. I agree with everything Slendermane said, however I feel that she fits into Ponyville too well. She did not really seem surprised by the customs and behaviors of the Ponyville inhabitants when she first arrived.

Twilight was a reclusive shut in. She never tried to fit in with the nobility and upper class snobs. We don't know much about her parents, but they seemed rather down to earth. She fits in in Ponyville because she acts like herself.

Rarity wants to be rich and famous, and to be one of the Canterlot elite. All her life, she wanted a better life. She looks down on Ponyville, and is a little ashamed of her small town heritage. She learned everything she could about Canterlot life. After all, the fasion world probably revolves around Canterlot and Manehatten.

I don't think Rarity looks down on or is ashamed of Ponyville. I think that she's just small town girl with big town dreams so she glamorizes Canterlot. When the Canterlot unicorns seemed to think that Ponyville is bad, I think that Rarity gets embarrassed, but I don't think that she truly looks down on it. I agree with your analysis of Twilight. There have to be misfits in every town.

Canterlot seems like it is expensive to live in, so maybe one of the differences is money? Maybe they are old money unicorns, descendents of the original settlers of the city. The Ponyville unicorns left Canterlot to maybe save money and get in touch with what was truly important.

I think it probably also has to do with the fact that she wasn't born in Canterlot (Cutie Mark Chronicals all but flat-out tells you this). She just goes there because she wants to enroll in that Magic School place.

Slendermane got it just about right though I wouldn't say Rarity looks down on Ponyville, just is a bit embarrased by her heritage.

She doesn't. Rarity can best be described as a MLP version of Glinda from Wicked. It's just the kind of character she is.

Edited by SBaby

It's like when you're part of a condo community in Florida. Everyone there has a nice place but there's the basic-level condos that most middle to upper-middle class people can afford, then there's the top of the line, nice villas that the upper class can afford. For unicorns, they are all powerful and magical but the Ponyville ones are of the simpler kind and the Canterlot ones are of the higher end kind.

Canterlot Unicorns believe they're, as the current terminology goes, the 1%. They're basically the stereotypical snobbish rich ponies, much like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Ponyville Unicorns are just common folk who can use magic. They live their life normally without acting better than everybody else.

Really, I think the Canterlot unicorns are Unicorn Supremecists but maybe not because they still seem to show some regards to the Wonderbolts, who are Pegasi. Still, they are annoyingly snobbish. But don't talk to be about being a snob. I'm the guy who outright refuses to buy the hip new brands because it costs more than $20.

As for Twilight Sparkle. Well she's sheltered and I don't think the Palace is very snobbish, lest they be sent to the Moon.

The only reason Rarity is in Ponyville and not in Canterlot would be because of her heritage, friends and family. Sure, she dreams of going to Canterlot and being a star, but she is loyal to her friends, and nearly would refuse to leave them... Well, with the exception of the episode Sweet and Elite... That, and she's met three big-shot ponies in Ponyville, who actually came for her! I mean, Photo Finish, Hoity Toity and Sapphire Shores can't be wrong, can they? Sapphire Shores even states that she came to Ponyville looking for Rarity's fashions for her concerts!

Similar reasons to Rainbow Dash being too loyal to abandon her friends for the Wonderbolts! She's met and impressed them, having done the Sonic Rainboom whilst rescuing them and Rarity, as well as hung out with them...

Might I add that the reason they actually have a chance to impress the Canterlot ponies is because they are friends with Twilight? When you think about it, RD only managed the sonic rainboom because Rarity and the Wonderbolts were falling... And the only reason Rarity was falling is because Twilight conjured her wings!

Twilight is a book nerd that always has her head in a book, whilst Rarity craves high society and cares about garden parties and stuff like that. Canterlot is the richest area of equestria, and has much more wealth than ponyville and with wealth comes status. Compare new york to some small town (less then 5000 people) and see the difference. ~