Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My theory on Earth Ponies, Pegasi, Unicorns, and Alicorns

Slendermane

This is an idea I had a while back. It probably is completely wrong, but for some reason, I decided to waste your time with it.

It is often said that humans are made up of three parts: the body, the heart/soul, and the mind. I think that Earth Ponies symbolize or connect with the body. They are stronger, are hard workers, and live with nature. They are athletic. Pegasi are emotion, and connect with the source of emotion, the metaphorical heart. They value freedom and are creative. They control the weather and are part of nature itself. Unicorns value the mind. They are magic and science. They value wit and intelligence. Alicorns represent the elightened self. They harmoniously bring together body, heart, and mind.

What do you think? I'm sure I could have explained the idea better, but I'm not even sure of what it is. :lol:

Edited by Slendermane
  • Brohoof 3

This is an idea I had a while back. It probably is completely wrong, but for some reason, I decided to waste your time with it.

There's no such thing as a "completely wrong" idea when Hasbro/The Hub/Studio B never really elaborated on the meanings and values of each pony race.

I actually think your interpretation of the races is quite interesting (and accurate, too). But I would like to add that there are exceptions to every rule - while Twilight is an information-obsessed genius, most unicorns don't appear to approach her level of intelligence, and there are even some that I'd say are downright idiotic (Snips and Snails).

I was just generalizing about their culture. It doesn't really hold up for individual ponies. For example, wouldn't Pinkie Pie's element of laughter be more emotion than body? (Then again, she was originally concieved as a pegasus, so who knows?)

Nice, I really wish Lauren Faust would release some kind of MLP bible that detailed the entire world. I do agree with your ideas though.

I would totally buy that. But I don't think there's much of a chance we'll ever see Lauren Faust's bible. Which I can kind of understand. I'd want to keep something as personal as that private too.

Anyway, this is an awesome theory and I think I'm subscribing to it now. Of course there are always exceptions, you'll find unicorns that are more feeling, earth ponies that are wiser, and so on, but this theory is mostly generalization. More along the lines of a racial bonus than finalized stats.

I would totally buy that. But I don't think there's much of a chance we'll ever see Lauren Faust's bible. Which I can kind of understand. I'd want to keep something as personal as that private too.

Anyway, this is an awesome theory and I think I'm subscribing to it now. Of course there are always exceptions, you'll find unicorns that are more feeling, earth ponies that are wiser, and so on, but this theory is mostly generalization. More along the lines of a racial bonus than finalized stats.

When I said bible I meant a complete guide tot he world. Bioware has one for their mass effect and dragon age series, as does Interplay for Fallout. Just a comprehensive guide that they reference when they need to look into the lore of a universe.

When I said bible I meant a complete guide tot he world. Bioware has one for their mass effect and dragon age series, as does Interplay for Fallout. Just a comprehensive guide that they reference when they need to look into the lore of a universe.

Yeah. Lauren Faust wrote one for the series after she was put in charge of it. Some of the stuff has changed since then via word of Hasbro (AKA Queen Celestia becoming Princess Celestia), but it's mostly comprehensive. Even has Discord, according to what she's said. She hasn't released it, though, and I don't think she ever will. No word on whether or not she left it with the Thiessen and all them, though.

I like it OP, and I can't think of any devastating counterexamples off hand, but the fact that Pinkie Pie is definitely much more emotional (Slendermane) and Dash more physical -- as can be seen by her frequent associations with AJ -- might upset your theory a bit.

But in regards to this kind of thinking in general. I think it's definitely NOT reading too much into it to infer these kinds of categories, since FiM is fundamentally a show about ethics as most shows intended for younger children are. Furthermore, it's a particular brand of ethics: one associated with virtue and harmony.

This might seem like a truism, but what if MLP didn't highlight virtues but instead something else like, I dunno, utilitarianism. Would every episode then be a kind of economics lesson? Think about how different that would be? Supposedly in a different kind of society, that is how MLP would be like... ... thank Celestia?

In short, I think there is definitely something uniquely Aristotelian about MLP that you have latched onto.

Edited by planet news

A lot of the background unicorns, such as Seafoam, don't really seem to do much thinking, but more action or attending events, tho I guess that's what background ponies are for. Maybe if we ever got to speak to her she'd be more thoughtful and philosophical... I'd like to see who uses Twilight's library and what books they get out :)

• Brohoof 1