Can anyone give me some tips on shading?

CommadorTheCyborgPony

I consider myself to be a decent artist, most of my works are atleast semi-good, but there is one thing missing from the majority of my artwork; shading. I find it very difficult to shade and or imagine shade. Since shadeing ass emotion to the piece I would like to find out if anyone could give me tips on this topic.

Thank you in advance, Commadore

(keep in min it'd not Commander, Commadore has no N)

I was actually thinking of making an advanced Photoshop shading tutorial soon, but seeing as you probably don't use that, I can give you some basic tips.

First of all, pick your lighting perspective. This is the point where all light comes from. Simply, if you have a buldge, the highlights go towards the dot and the shadows on the other side of the buldge.

Do shading under your lines, not over them.

Highlights always go on largely exposed parts, while your shading goes in more cramped spaces. Shading should also be the same color as your lines.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Firebolt

I was actually thinking of making an advanced Photoshop shading tutorial soon, but seeing as you probably don't use that, I can give you some basic tips.

First of all, pick your lighting perspective. This is the point where all light comes from. Simply, if you have a buldge, the highlights go towards the dot and the shadows on the other side of the buldge.

Do shading under your lines, not over them.

Highlights always go on largely exposed parts, while your shading goes in more cramped spaces. Shading should also be the same color as your lines.

Hope that helps!

It does, thank you very much! I do plan to get Photoshop *cough*pirateslife*cough* so i will be most pleased if you could notify me once your tutorial is uploaded.

It does, thank you very much! I do plan to get Photoshop *cough*pirateslife*cough* so i will be most pleased if you could notify me once your tutorial is uploaded.

Sure thing! It probably won't be too soon, but it's the next thing I'm doing. So I'll make sure to message you upon completion. Hopefully before exams finish.

It depends: Do you draw digitally or traditionally? I can help you with traditional, but I haven't used a tablet in years, so...

If you need help to shade an entire area, I just stroke diagonal lines very lightly (or whatever darkness you need). Like so:

Example:

Edited by Vallo