Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord Breaking the Fourth Wall?

LavastormSW

So in the most recent episode with Discord (Keep Calm and Flutter on), at around 7:40 he snaps his tail-hand and four beavers turn evil and get red eyes. Then, he directly turns to the camera and says "oopsies."

So I'm thinking he's at least aware of the fourth wall, if not totally aware that he's in a TV show. I think this is a really cool idea. Since he's the master of chaos, it would make sense that he's aware of the fourth wall. I really hope the director(s) utilize this more, as I personally like it when characters break the fourth wall and the others just look at them like they're crazy.

Thoughts?

On a slightly different note, I think it would be really funny if Pinkie Pie was aware of it too and brought it up for comedic effect, like along the lines of "Such-and-such already happened in Season 1, don't you remember?" and the others would be all "season what?" and then she'd say "nevermind!" and bounce off. This probably won't ever happen, but it's just funny to think about.

Edited by Feld0
Fixing two spelling errors.

I love fourth wall references, but I don't think that MLP needs to increase the density of these jokes.  Part of the charm of these references is that they are so rare and you never know when to expect them.  If they were to appear more often I feel like something would be lost.

Also, Pinkie Pie has already made quite a few fourth wall references, starting way back in Friendship is Magic Part 2 (right before the end credits, Pinkie appears and starts saying to the audience, "Are you excited, because I'm excited.  I've never been so excited, well, except for the time that I went *dramatic gasp*...").  There was also the point in Magic Duel when mouthless Pinkie interrupts the credits and starts yelling at us.  She's also had slightly more subtle references, like in Too Many Pinkie Pies when the clone is talking with Fluttershy and the camera zooms in on the clone, who then says, "Walls closing in!" to which Fluttershy responds, "But we're outside."  Discord is far from the first to break the fourth wall, and I'm certain that he won't be the last.

I don't mind the "looking at the screen" fourth wall incidents, but I wouldn't want somepony to explicitly mention it.

In my books, Discord and Pinkie Pie are allowed to break the fourth wall on occasion, but nopony else!

• Brohoof 2

Discord, like Pinkie, wields a lot of cartoon antic powers that the other characters do not have, because they're not meant to be the comic relief characters. Makes perfect sense that Discord is aware of the Fourth Wall, he's more powerful than Pinkie and we've seen her do it lots of times.

• Brohoof 4

Meh I've seen lot of cartoon characters act that way but it appears more like they're talking to themselves to me. Breaking the fourth wall is more like when the characters know they're in a cartoon and start talking about the script and how the story that is unfolding isn't the way it should be.