Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A S4 meta-episode that criticizes us bronies for hating change

Commander_PonyShep

(edited)

You know how Pound Puppies did a meta-episode that commented on bronies, and even the way they never develop a fandom for some of the Hub channel's other shows, like Pound Puppies itself?

What if the writers do a Season Four meta-episode of MLP that subliminally criticizes us for hating on Alicorn Twilight, Equestria Girls, or any other perceived changes to not only My Little Pony, but also any other form of pop-iconography?

You know?  Like an episode where Rainbow Dash reads a Daring-Do novel that changed the entire franchise by disposing of its trademark elements for new ones, like space-aliens akin to the ones in Kingdom of The Crystal Skull.  Then, outraged, Rainbow goes to the author of Daring-Do, hoping to protest against him/her for changing Rainbow's favorite novel.  By the end, she learns a valuable lesson: That Daring-Do does not belong to her, but rather the author, and that the author is the one who can do whatever he/she wants with Daring-Do.

Granted, I'm as much apprehensive about Equestria Girls as you are, and even wrote a thread about this, loaded with swear-words I've received a warning on.  But right now, I've moved on.  EqG is not out yet, and I cannot judge it until it comes out on DVD, Netflix, or Amazon Prime.  Also, it will not be Season Four, nor even the S4 premiere, just an individual one-hour special that will have no bearing on the actual show itself.  Twilight will just enter the human-world, grab the crystal crown, possibly befriending those humans resembling her friends along the way, and very soon she'll be back in Equestria with her real pony friends.

But as for the writers themselves, they're probably making an S4 meta-episode about us -- the bronies -- and our inability to accept plot-twists, changes, and bold risks that are made merely to reduce stagnation.  They still care for us, but by now they're so pressured by us to make MLP to our exacting specifications, that they just want to criticize us in any way possible, even make an episode about it.

But, do you think the writers will make an S4 meta-episode that criticizes the audience for hating change, like the way Stephen King wrote Misery to criticize his fans for wanting him to go back to horror after writing a fantasy novel?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 19

...I would actually love that.

I mean, they probably won't since the fandom would literally set itself on fire over it, but I think that'd be amazing.

• Brohoof 14

That would be...kinda neat, actually. It would a nice jab at the particular bronies who just cannot stand any type of change, even if that change is character advancement of any kind.

It just feels that the hatred lately is unbelievably absurd. I can kinda see maybe some justification for the hate towards Twilicorn, but still, it is not has horrible as many made it out to be. Luckily, that has died down a lot. (Now stick with it Hasbro!) Now though, the new target is Equestria Girls. This has seen some incredibly deep hate and I honestly cannot figure out why. I myself am not fond of it, but come on! It is not even canon! It is just a friggin' spin-off that does not effect the actual show in any way! Why the hell are people being so negative about it all? If you do not think it will be good, don't see it! It isn't like the fate of FiM is resting within the success of this movie.

I will see it, but I am going to wait until season 4 starts. I will entirely hold my judgement until then. It could be good, it could be bad. Either way, it doesn't really matter. This is really just a marketing gap filler. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the real show is not affected by it. It really is as simple as that.

In terms of the episode, that is up in the air on how they could do it, if they did. I honestly think that some 'bronies' need something like that, because it is getting old.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I don't think it's worth it.

I mean, it'd be neat from a "I see what you did there" thing, but other than maybe a little wink to the nature of fandom, this would only serve to piss more lunatics off. While normal people would be fine, I'd rather not live through that shitstorm.

And to be honest, if not done perfectly, this episode may come off as..."smug", for want of a better word. While it's important to respect the creators of the things you enjoy, the creators have to have some level of respect for fans. Not give into their every whim, mind you, but as long as fans act civil, they shouldn't feel like they are at the mercy of whatever the author feels like.

I can actually think of numerous occasions where the author should not have been in charge after a while...

Freaking Lucas.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

This episode would be amongst one of stupidest ever conceived in the show from a conceptual level for two reasons:

1. It's a lame strawman. It's not about "hating change." It's about reviewing the change critically and concluding if it genuinely works or not.

Changes like having all of the characters write friendship reports to Celestia instead of just Twilight (beginning in Lesson Zero) is a bold but excellent change, for it allows all of the characters to share screentime without shoving Twilight needlessly into the plot.

Changes like the Twilicorn, on the other hand, came way too soon and was just way too big of a concept to fit in Magical Mystery Cure; I've already written why the Twilicorn was such a stupid concept for the season finale already here.

While season four has the chance to be well-written, you can't help but feel skeptical about what will happen, even though DHX has a great track record for producing high-quality material.
  2. It comes off as a smug response towards not just the brony fandom, but the family-oriented target audience altogether. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with your fans. It's important to communicate with them constructively, even if the criticism from the audience tends to get blunt. Half-baked morals like those are very divisive, very snide, sending a dangerous implied message to generations that thinking critically with high standards is a bad idea, and not worth it to be published on the professional level. It comes off as a betrayal, which you can't do. Meta-esque stuff like your concept, Commander, never worked in fan-made material (I've seen shit like this in fanfiction and fan-comics, and they're NEVER written well), and they don't work professionally, either.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

This has happened before: Big Mac taking the Smarty Pants doll, Spike playing with the wedding cake figures...

I always wonder how meta the episodes are

Like Too Many Pinkie Pies - I saw it as a commentary on flanderization of TV characters, how they go from deep and interesting to shallow and insipid. By trying to please everyone, Pinkie basically 'sells out' and loses what made her so lovable in the first place. Her friends want the real Pinkie, not a cheap substitute or bland characterization.

It's pretty much confirmed Suited for Success is about struggling in the creative field and dealing with problematic clients.

• Brohoof 6

I don't think it's worth it.

I mean, it'd be neat from a "I see what you did there" thing, but other than maybe a little wink to the nature of fandom, this would only serve to piss more lunatics off. While normal people would be fine, I'd rather not live through that shitstorm.

And to be honest, if not done perfectly, this episode may come off as..."smug", for want of a better word. While it's important to respect the creators of the things you enjoy, the creators have to have some level of respect for fans. Not give into their every whim, mind you, but as long as fans act civil, they shouldn't feel like they are at the mercy of whatever the author feels like.

I can actually think of numerous occasions where the author should not have been in charge after a while...

Freaking Lucas.

Well, think back to Stephen King when he wrote Misery.  When he switched from horror to medieval-fantasy, tons of Stephen King fans wrote hateful letters to him, some of which even contain death-threats.  So, he outright criticized them with the book Misery, by portraying them in the body of the psychotic fan-girl of the Misery Chastain book series, Annie Wilkes.

In the book, and eventually movie, Annie threw a temper tantrum and attacked her favorite author after learning that Misery dies at childbirth.  So, she holds him hostage and forces him against his will to write a new Misery novel that resurrects the title character.  Annie is a metaphor for not only Stephen King's fans, but also fans of other popular franchises and genres, who always throw temper-tantrums and act self-entitled every time they see changes to their favorite franchises.

So surely, the writers will also do what Stephen King did with Misery, and write a meta-episode that subliminally criticizes us bronies for throwing temper-tantrums over things like Alicorn Twilight and Equestria Girls.  And, also like Stephen King (and Joss Whedon when he wrote Cabin in The Woods to criticize horror fans for wanting the same thing with no differences), the writers will be as brutal with their criticisms, too, even if it'll be misdirected at children at the same time.

Wouldn't that basically be fan service? I'm not sure about that. I mean I'm interested in the fact that one lesson should be to accept change, but I'm not so sure about it relating to bronies.

Besides I don't HATE Equestria Girls: I'm just not particularly fond how they presented the trailer. Oh and I support Twilight being an Alicorn but I don't think she should be a princess just yet, it is too soon.

• Brohoof 1

Well, think back to Stephen King when he wrote Misery. When he switched from horror to medieval-fantasy, tons of Stephen King fans wrote hateful letters to him, some of which even contain death-threats. So, he outright criticized them with the book Misery, by portraying them in the body of the psychotic fan-girl of the Misery Chastain book series, Annie Wilkes.

In the book, and eventually movie, Annie threw a temper tantrum and attacked her favorite author after learning that Misery dies at childbirth. So, she holds him hostage and forces him against his will to write a new Misery novel that resurrects the title character. Annie is a metaphor for not only Stephen King's fans, but also fans of other popular franchises and genres, who always throw temper-tantrums and act self-entitled every time they see changes to their favorite franchises.

So surely, the writers will also do what Stephen King did with Misery, and write a meta-episode that subliminally criticizes us bronies for throwing temper-tantrums over things like Alicorn Twilight and Equestria Girls. And, also like Stephen King (and Joss Whedon when he wrote Cabin in The Woods to criticize horror fans for wanting the same thing with no differences), the writers will be as brutal with their criticisms, too, even if it'll be misdirected at children at the same time.

Firstly, I have seen and love both of those examples (Misery in particular is one of my favorite movies, haven't read the book yet), and I agree that this can be done well.

But I personally don't think a satire like this fits with the style of FiM. It's not that I sympathize with the angry fanboys, I just don't think it's worth stirring the pot, and something like this is more Adventure Time's style. Ever seen the episode where Finn finds miniature versions of all the characters and proceeds to ship everyone with everyone else? It was horrific.

• Brohoof 2

This is the best idea ever. 

When it comes right down to it, the changes that have been added to the show are more often than not a good thing, I would even go so far as to say a necessary thing, because it's incredibly difficult to make a show interesting when every episode has to return status quo by the end. The only reason a change should be criticized is if it's handled poorly, or harms the series overall, and none of the changes thus far have fit either of those criteria. Frankly I'm getting sick of people whining about it, and I would love to see an episode addressing this.

Assuming the episode is up to standard, writing-wise, of course. 

(edited)

I'm entirely expecting something similar to this to happen, honestly. The writers even did a playful jab at the concept on April Fools Day, by "leaking" an episode title and concept.

408: “Don’t You Dare” Rainbow Dash threatens to leave the Daring Do fandom when they turn her hero into an Earth Pony.

I'm normally a fan of meta episodes, but as someone who feels like I have been generally pretty welcoming of change in MLP, but also have legitimate concerns regarding Alicorn Twilight, this could come off as somewhat annoying. If anything like this happens, I think it'll be more along the lines of everypony treating Twilight differently, and the moral being that she's still the same character. I'd hope that the writers would refrain from taking jabs at portions of their fanbase as much as possible, even though some of those portions haven't shied from taking cannonball-sized shots at them blush.png

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

I think it would be cool to see. I think it would be fair. Giving the hate that is being given on Equestria Girls, I think this would help..or not.

Point is: if we can embrace a show about talking, magical, candy colored horses, then why is something like Twilicorn or EqG so difficult?

• Brohoof 2

While I understand the motivation behind this theoretical episode, I think that all the producers need to do to shut down change-haters is keep producing high quality episodes and prove definitively that Alicorn Twilight can, will, and does work.  Pretty sure that alone will do it, at least in my opinion. smile.png

I think this would be a great episode. Not just to tell some bronies to go fuck themselves, but also as a way to teach kids that change isn't a bad thing. I like this idea, I wanna see it happen.

• Brohoof 1

To me, this brings to mind ATLA's "Season 4" sketch:

And yes, that was actually made by the real creators using fanart.

Would be a laugh.

• Brohoof 1

While I think the idea of something like this addressing the whole issue of bronydom and "change" in a veiled way is pretty amusing, I'm not sure about the approach taken here, as it's a little too on-the-nose and may come off as mean spirited.  And the "lesson" itself comes off as rather arrogant and self centered ("This isn't your property, it's MINE!  So I can do what I want, ha!").

• Brohoof 3

The problem with this idea is it's not what the MLP:FIM crew wanted to do. If the crew was independent, it might have worked but they’re not. It will be seen as giving up all creative control to Hasbro. I don’t think artist will like the message that they should surrender their creative freedom.

(edited)

I think this would be a great episode. Not just to tell some bronies to go fuck themselves, but also as a way to teach kids that change isn't a bad thing. I like this idea, I wanna see it happen.

Now hold up, Mr.Spicy-pants, it's one thing to tell people to chill out and another to tell them to go fuck themselves. That's just arrogant for a creator to say to their fans, regardless of how annoying they are.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

While I think the idea of something like this addressing the whole issue of bronydom and "change" in a veiled way is pretty amusing, I'm not sure about the approach taken here, as it's a little too on-the-nose and may come off as mean spirited.  And the "lesson" itself comes off as rather arrogant and self centered ("This isn't your property, it's MINE!  So I can do what I want, ha!").

I've watched two episodes of Game Overthinker regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, as well as an episode of another one of MovieBob's shows, The Big Picture, where he commented on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles becoming aliens.  In both those cases, Bob "MovieBob" Chipman, the creator and host of those two shows, criticized fans for throwing temper-tantrums over changes in beloved franchises, and told them that properties like Mass Effect and TMNT does not belong the fans, but rather to the original creators and producers.

To him, what mattered more than bad ideas, is the execution of certain ideas, regardless if they're good or bad.  If a bad idea is actually well-implemented, then it can be forgiven.  However, if any time even the best ideas are handled badly, then there's something to be concerned over.

This is why it would be appropriate for the writers to subliminally comment on their spoiled, tantruming fanbase, telling them to chill out and act maturely over changes to their favorite franchises, especially something as popular and beloved as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  I mean, sure, as you said, they can't insult their audience.  However, they need to be as up-front with their audience as possible, like Stephen King when he wrote the novel, Misery, or Joss Whedon when he wrote Cabin in the Woods.

Part of me wants to rant and tantrum over Equestria Girls.  But even then, the one-hour special is not even out yet, and that it will have no bearing on the main show itself, and will just be stand-alone.  The only way I can judge it is if I see it for myself (or get spoilers to it on Equestria Daily, the MLP wiki, or this message board itself).  Which is why, for me to retain my sanity, I need to reserve my judgement.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

Now hold up, Mr.Spicy-pants, it's one thing to tell people to chill out and another to tell them to go fuck themselves. That's just arrogant for a creator to say to their fans, regardless of how annoying they are.

...alright, you don't know me too well, so I'll be nice.

I have a tendency to exaggerate things.

And swear. It's a habit, I'm trying to break it.

• Brohoof 1

I think that would be really good for the fandom, actually - to hear from the staff about how they feel regarding all the drama. I've heard that the staff has been receiving threatening letters and hate mail, and some of them are considering leaving the show for it. Apparently there's a Twitter campaign going on, too.

923292_589200074431785_1896246992_n_zpse

I'd love to hear more from the staff about how they feel about the issue.

Snip

I suppose at the end of the day, I think it would be a better use of the writers' energy to concentrate on executing the controversial concepts to the best of their ability, rather than flipping the bird to anyone who had a problem with them in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've watched two episodes of Game Overthinker regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, as well as an episode of another one of MovieBob's shows, The Big Picture, where he commented on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles becoming aliens. In both those cases, Bob "MovieBob" Chipman, the creator and host of those two shows, criticized fans for throwing temper-tantrums over changes in beloved franchises, and told them that properties like Mass Effect and TMNT does not belong the fans, but rather to the original creators and producers.

To him, what mattered more than bad ideas, is the execution of certain ideas, regardless if they're good or bad. If a bad idea is actually well-implemented, then it can be forgiven. However, if any time even the best ideas are handled badly, then there's something to be concerned over.

This is why it would be appropriate for the writers to subliminally comment on their spoiled, tantruming fanbase, telling them to chill out and act maturely over changes to their favorite franchises, especially something as popular and beloved as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I mean, sure, as you said, they can't insult their audience. However, they need to be as up-front with their audience as possible, like Stephen King when he wrote the novel, Misery, or Joss Whedon when he wrote Cabin in the Woods.

Part of me wants to rant and tantrum over Equestria Girls. But even then, the one-hour special is not even out yet, and that it will have no bearing on the main show itself, and will just be stand-alone. The only way I can judge it is if I see it for myself (or get spoilers to it on Equestria Daily, the MLP wiki, or this message board itself). Which is why, for me to retain my sanity, I need to reserve my judgement.

To be fair to those fans, the TMNT script that featured them being aliens truly was horrendous and insipid, and the Mass Effect 3 ending was a mediocre and cheap way to end a series built on the idea of taking your avatar to a satisfying conclusion (I know for damn sure my Shepard deserved better). I usually don't disagree with Moviebob, but I had to in that case.

I'm not saying the fans who are harassing other fans and the staff are in the right, because that behavior is terrible. But in general, fans have a right to complain, and not everything the creator does is golden and immune to criticism.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2