Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How big would a Ursa major be?

majorly awesome

(edited)

Well at the end of Boast Busters we've seen the Ursa Minor to be quite big compared to a pony. Perhaps 50x the size of a average pony. The average pony size would be about Twilight's height or so (really all the mane 6 since they are the same size roughly.) 

At the end of the episode the Ursa Major was quite huge. I'd say it's roughly the same size as Spike was during his rampage in Secret to my Excess. So I dunno..........50x the size of an Ursa minor so it's 2,500 size of a regular pony.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn
  • Brohoof 2

Well at the end of Boast Busters we've seen the Ursa Minor to be quite big compared to a pony. Perhaps 50x the size of a average pony. The average pony size would be about Twilight's height or so (really all the mane 6 since they are the same size roughly.) 

At the end of the episode the Ursa Major was quite huge. I'd say it's roughly the same size as Spike was during his rampage in Secret to my Excess. So I dunno..........50x the size of an Ursa minor so it's 2,500 size of a regular pony.

well, I think it's eye is at least as big as a wall, so i'd say it's much bigger than spike in greed mode

Considering the size of an Ursa Minor (essentially a juvenile Ursa Major):Twilight_soothes_the_Ursa_S01E06.png

And the Ursa Major itself:

Ursa_major_holding_an_ursa_minor_S1E06.p

The Major's size is to the Minor as the Minor is the to pony. 

Yep, from the looks of it, the Ursa Major is pretty damn big. At least a thousand times larger than a pony, by volume. Probably far more. If we go by Rainicorn's approximations, and the Minor is 50x bigger than a pony, then the Major should 50x bigger than the Minor. That makes it 2500 times bigger. 

From an astronomical perspective, however, the stars in the constellation span a few thousand light years :P 

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I'm really bad at Math, so I'm just gonna say it's freaking HUMONGUS!!!! I mean, a pony next to Ursa Minor was as tall as it's foot maybe, and Ursa Minor was as big as Ursa Major's forearm. So maybe Burj Khalifa size relative to a human. The Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world, in case you don't know. I didn't know. I had to look up 'tallest building' on Google. But that big, maybe bigger. Who knows?

(edited)

That's strange, I've never heard of someone being a fan of an Ursa Major x) I'm gonna have an estimate at about 30-40 times the size as an Ursa Minor and about 1000+ times the size of a regular pony, but I can see Rainicorn and Twilight's estimate being more accurate.

200px-Ursa_Major.jpg

It's bloody huge...I don't even know how big their habitat is but it was to be the biggest cave in the universe of something if it can fit a family of Ursa Minors and Majors.

Edited by Rainbow Dash Loyalty

After over an hour of math, I think I have come to the conclusion that an Ursa Major would be about 1683.03435 times bigger than Twilight Sparkle. So really about 1683 times larger. Twilight is around 58 pixels tall on my screen and the Ursa Minor next to her is334 pixels tall which after a long equation makes the Ursa Minor 5.7586205895... times larger than Twilight. The Ursa Major is 5.39025 times larger than the Ursa Minor. So then I took 58 times 5.7586205895..., which is the height of the Ursa Minor 334 so take that times 5.39025 and you get 1683.03435 which is approxamately how many times larger (In height) an Ursa Major is than Twilight Sparkle. 

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, I don't own a calculator so all of this was done by hand.

@majorly awesome I hope this is what you were looking for because I wasted a long time trying to figure that out. Well I guess it wasn't a total waste considering I know how large an Ursa Major is compared to Twilight :P

• Brohoof 1

After over an hour of math, I think I have come to the conclusion that an Ursa Major would be about 1683.03435 times bigger than Twilight Sparkle. So really about 1683 times larger. Twilight is around 58 pixels tall on my screen and the Ursa Minor next to her is334 pixels tall which after a long equation makes the Ursa Minor 5.7586205895... times larger than Twilight. The Ursa Major is 5.39025 times larger than the Ursa Minor. So then I took 58 times 5.7586205895..., which is the height of the Ursa Minor 334 so take that times 5.39025 and you get 1683.03435 which is approxamately how many times larger (In height) an Ursa Major is than Twilight Sparkle. 

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, I don't own a calculator so all of this was done by hand.

@majorly awesome I hope this is what you were looking for because I wasted a long time trying to figure that out. Well I guess it wasn't a total waste considering I know how large an Ursa Major is compared to Twilight tongue.png

Well, after multiplying 1683.03435 to 120 cm (the size of an average pony), I found out that it was 201,964.122 cm. I then converted that to km and got 2.01964122 km.

HOLY. FREAKING. SHAT.  ohmy.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm sorry, but is it just me or does the Ursa Major look more like a giant hairy mole rat than an actual bear ursa?

Well I guess its possible that ursas aren't that closely related to bears, but Ursa Major does translate from Latin as the Great Bear. It just doesn't look like much of a bear to me.  huh.png

But yea they're damn huge and considering the size of the Ursa Minor relative to Ponyville alone its quite possible they can grow to be well over 3 times the size of a minor easily larger than over half of Equestria and rivaling adult dragons in size.

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 1

@majorly awesome I hope this is what you were looking for because I wasted a long time trying to figure that out. Well I guess it wasn't a total waste considering I know how large an Ursa Major is compared to Twilight tongue.png

I suggest you get a calculator, as your math is wrong. Doesn't your computer have one? From the pictures, Twilight is 88 pixels tall. Ursa Minor is 534 pixels tall, approximately 6.1 times taller. The measurement was taken from the bottom of his foot to the highest part of his back. It looks as though he is crouched slightly, so he would be taller. Judging the height of Ursa Major is more difficult because she is sitting down. Being consistent, I estimate her height as if she were on all-fours. I measured from the bottom of her foot to her back. I also have to guess at where Minor's back would be, since he partially hidden by Major's arms and curled, but he is approximately 100 pixels tall. Major is approximately 340 pixels tall. This makes Major 3.4 times taller than Minor. This means that Major is 3.4 x 6.1 = 20.74 times taller than Twilight. If a pony is 120 cm tall then Major is 2489 cm = approximately 25 m

• Brohoof 1

I suggest you get a calculator, as your math is wrong. Doesn't your computer have one? From the pictures, Twilight is 88 pixels tall. Ursa Minor is 534 pixels tall, approximately 6.1 times taller. The measurement was taken from the bottom of his foot to the highest part of his back. It looks as though he is crouched slightly, so he would be taller. Judging the height of Ursa Major is more difficult because she is sitting down. Being consistent, I estimate her height as if she were on all-fours. I measured from the bottom of her foot to her back. I also have to guess at where Minor's back would be, since he partially hidden by Major's arms and curled, but he is approximately 100 pixels tall. Major is approximately 340 pixels tall. This makes Major 3.4 times taller than Minor. This means that Major is 3.4 x 6.1 = 20.74 times taller than Twilight. If a pony is 120 cm tall then Major is 2489 cm = approximately 25 m

It was very late at night, so I can see why I got some math wrong. Thank you for correcting me, and I do not have a computer to use, so I do not have a calculator on my computer.

• 1 year later...

By my horrible calculations, an Ursa Minor would stand up to 10m tall and weigh something around 30 tons.

An Ursa Minor would be at least 6x taller, so 60 m and around 1800 tons.

Seems accurate, even though I've pulled this out of nowhere.