Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Our solar system is a vortex...cool video...science and stuff

Silverhoof

(edited)

our solar system is a vortex

Why you ask? Watch the video, and know this: our solar system is a vortex.

If you learn nothing else today, learn this: our solar system is a vortex.

What if other planets replaced the moon? well. take a look.

Look its science, OK? Back off, man. some people's kids. Sheesh!

What if other planets replaced the moon?

sorry, said that already.

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 3

YAY FOR SCIENCE! Though this is actually very interesting, this has caused me to develop a theory...... the sun is a snail that was set in a race by a group of a intergalactic super species.................... :P.....

try_science_shirt_300.jpg

Oh my go this is amazing. I never knew this before. I was under the impression that we our solar system orbits the black hole in the middle of the milky way. Or does it do both orbit and race through space creating vortex? :o

(edited)

I though there would be more science :( This was just some cool music and some cool animation with a few little lines of science. Not even very in depth or anything, just "the solar system also moves this way and it would look really cool if the sun and planets left trails".

Oh my go this is amazing. I never knew this before. I was under the impression that we our solar system orbits the black hole in the middle of the milky way. Or does it do both orbit and race through space creating vortex? :o

Our planet is moving in a about a million different way at the same time. It orbits the sun, which is pulled around with star clusters in the Galaxy, which are all influenced by the black hole in the center of the galaxy. The Galaxy is part of a galactic cluster and moves accordingly (The Milky Way is actually going to crash into the Andromeda Galaxy in about 4 billion years unless something drastic happens that changes the course. They'll merge into a new galaxy and it will be super cool and we won't be around to see it :(). The cluster is part of a super cluster, which is part of a filament. All of these are in constant motion, because in our universe everything is always moving.

Edited by Evilshy

looks pretty cool. definately not what i expected anyway. but hey, there is a lot of crazy stuff in the universe. like one particle that can actually be at 2 places at the same time and particles that can collide with themselves and stuff.

To answer your question: Both.

Here is a comparison of stars by size. rather dramatic.

generic science talk. science, science. science.110

@Evilshy ahhh cool thanks I didn't know about our galaxies coliding. It is a shame we won't see it ;( and @Silverhoof thanks :) and that video is mint. Except it's wrong at the end about us not being the centre of the universe. If you were to focus on one point, planet, universe, atom, bowl, house, moon, anything in the universe (not just the known unvirse, difference being we know of so much of the universe and then there is that beyond what we know because we're still waiting for the light to reach us from beyond our visible universe) and measure the rate of expansion in the unvirse it is equal on whatever you focus on thus you are technically the centre of the universe :) learnt that off of Vsauce on youtube. If you like science you should totally check it out! :D

Here is an even better comparison of the sizes of the planets, stars, solar systems and even galaxies, this neat little scale even goes as far as the known universe to the smallest nanofiber.

http://www.htwins.net/scale2/

@Ty5142 awww sweet thanks :) unfortionately I can't look at it right now as I'm on my iphone :( plus my laptop broke a while ago so... Thinking of buying myslef a gaming one amyway :D oh here's something cool about science. YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE... Pauli exclusion principle :P

The inclination of Sol's orbital plane is about 30 degrees off from being completely perpendicular to the Galactic plane so that animation is accurate in making it look like we orbit "sideways" around the sun.

However, most if not all diagrams depicting the solar system and details therein are far more easily understood from a visual relative standpoint of the Sun or the Earth, since travel to other star systems and other practical connotations of using a Galaxy-relative viewpoint aren't real yet.

We also understand things from a earth-surface expectation, with our brains far more easily understanding concepts projected with an "Up" and "Down" vector, when these do not exist in space. "Normal" and "Anti-normal" are far more complicated.