Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

1st attempts at ponies

Geminii

Scanner having issues but here is my 3rd attempt. I always play the tank role in mmorpgs so this tank pony was my first inspiration as an OC. For now I am calling him D-Block, which can be left to interpretation. A happily married pony who wishes only to protect the one he loves and defend those in need from the terrors of The Everfree Forest.  The thubnails can be ignored as they are just conceptual ideas, I need more practice in drawing poses and angles. I managed this one from watching a tutorial on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302KXlpagA0

When I get my scanner working again I'll post the first two I drew.

I made a mistake when I saved this one on the cutie mark! I will re upload the fixed images soon I hope!

post-18887-0-09366900-1377797149_thumb.png

Edited by Geminii
  • Brohoof 8

For a first try is this awesomely good. My first try was barely identifyable as a pony. How long did this take you to make? Just curious.

(edited)

Ok, here is the tank pony again without the obstructed cutie mark. The following pic is my first two drawings. The one on top has a hair style I used to use when I drew comics (super heroes)

@TwistedShadow  I think I spent over an hour on it making tweaks here and there on the tank pony. Still not finished, I'd like to ink and color it. The first two were kinda rushed.

Thank you for the compliment!

post-18887-0-79329400-1377798325_thumb.png

post-18887-0-20316100-1377798713_thumb.png

Edited by Geminii
  • Brohoof 1

Wow! These are really good for your first ponies. :)
You might want to bring the back legs in a little bit, and make the front legs slightly bigger (roughly the same size as the back legs.) The stomach could be rounder as well. :)
I'd like to see more from you!

Thanks for the input, I will definitely be working on improving. I have plenty of ideas I'd like to sketch. That reminds me, I need coloring pencils!

Looks amazing for your first time sketch.

I like the third attempt with the pony in armor and the cutie mark with a pony knight emblem.

Keep up the great sketches  :derp:

Since my first piece of advice was already said, I'll say that maybe you should try making the chest a little less round, as well as making the legs flow a bit more, making them bigger at the bottom than at the top. :) Other than that, awesome job! My first few ponies were really bad, so this is amazing for a first time! ;)

Her skin color did not translate through the scanner very well. The original is more orange-y. :huh:  I used only colored pencils with the cover of the season one dvd as a reference.

post-18887-0-62875800-1378240747_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Using another dvd... I improvised on her body, the original picture shows her behind Rarity. I am not sure how I am going to finish this one yet so Pinkie is a party of one. :lol:

Her belly seems fat, probably the sweets.

post-18887-0-90708900-1378241713_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Love the armour on your OC, might steal the helmet design.

Have you thought about adding warding?

Her skin color did not translate through the scanner very well.

Yeah, orange and scanners are not on good terms with each other. The snout should be angled a bit more upwards.

Pinkie

Hindlegs are a bit too long, body is a bit too stretched.

Overall, very good, though I'd recommend drawing up your own poses instead of working of a reference.

Also, take this:

post-3492-0-29785400-1340238296_thumb.jpg

Love the armour on your OC, might steal the helmet design.

Have you thought about adding warding?

Yeah, orange and scanners are not on good terms with each other. The snout should be angled a bit more upwards.

Hindlegs are a bit too long, body is a bit too stretched.

Overall, very good, though I'd recommend drawing up your own poses instead of working of a reference.

Also, take this:

Thanks for the input, Silverwisp! I know I need to work on original poses, thank you also for the anatomy sketches! By all means, use the helmet design and work your magic on it, I've seen your work, you're amazing! Warding? I'm afraid I don't know what this is. I'll upload more in a new thread as my sketching progresses.   :P

Warding? I'm afraid I don't know what this is. I'll upload more in a new thread as my sketching progresses. :P

Argh, should have read what I typed. I meant "barding" as in armor protecting a horses' legs.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for more of you.

Your first attempt is *waaay* better than mine ever was.

Nah, but, your first attempt was quite well done. And it looks like your later works improved quite a bit. Well done! :3

• Brohoof 2

Argh, should have read what I typed. I meant "barding" as in armor protecting a horses' legs.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for more of you.

Barding/warding, I wouldn't have known either way, but now I do! :yay:  I wanted to keep it simple for now while I develop my basic pony drawing skills.