Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Please help! I am in crisis

Foxx

As you know, my little pony is absolutely AWESOME hands down. I can't seem to pull myself away. But there is one problem that I am certain a lot of you have also encountered: How to tell everyone that you're a fan of show aimed at "younger" children. I am afraid my friends my will think of me as a weird freak and abandon me. Right now the only indication that I am a pegasister to them is a picture of Fluttershy with a caption saying "Deal with it" that I texted them. Not only that but my parents will probably take me to a mental asylum if I say I need to go shopping for the new princess Celestia figurine. Right now the only memorabilia I have are 15 G3 ponies from when I was little. The only way I've been able to watch the series is hidden behind my bed in my room. This needs to stop but I don't know to put it out there without ruining my social life.

This question has been asked many times and I always give the same answer: why do you need to tell anybody? if you buy some merchandise or whatever and someone says "what's with the ponies?" or similar question then tell them "oh it's the new MLP show it rocks" or whatever it is that you would say to explain it. But I don't see why you have to have a big announcement that your a pegasister.

The merchandise was what gave me away: but I didn't tell everyone "I'm a brony now" or anything

smile.png

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 4

I suppose you could just say that you like the newer My Little Pony. If your friends make an extremely big deal about it then they aren't your friends. If they're confused at first, they'll eventually get used to it. A lot of people are scared to tell people they're a fan but usually the end result is that people don't care. It's just a cartoon, it being made for little girls shouldn't change anything. A majority of beloved things such as Disney, Spongebob, Pokemon, etc.. are made for kids as well, but no one bats an eye at older people enjoying those. Personally, I came out of the Pegasister "closet" by walking right up to my mother and saying, "I love My Little Pony", she could have honestly cared less. Most of my interests are rather "unusual" to begin with. Seeing as how you're both a girl and were a fan of the older generations, it shouldn't be so surprising to see you being into the show. 

If your friends are going to abandon you because you like a kids show, then they are not your real friends unless proven otherwise. You could try not telling them at first until your more comfortable to tell them.

• Brohoof 2

I know the feeling. I mean, when I told all my college buddies that I liked My Little Pony, I knew they would be cool with it. But I grew up with a very, very conservative family. We live in a small town. Everyone knows everyone. I never told anybody outside of my closest friends who I knew would never betray me that I like ponies. My parents actually figured out when they went through the history on their internet account before I moved off to college. My mom confronted me with it and my first reaction was to ask her who she got it from. When she asked me why I watch a show for little girls, I blabbed off the reasons why the show is awesome. But I was 19 years old when she found out about it. There wasn't anything she could do about it since I was a legal adult. 

I don't know what you're parents are like, but if they're normal, reasonable people, they won't go that far. I mean, you see stories about people who do send their kids off to mental asylums for liking MLP, but I'm sure that if your parents are normal people, they'll be uncomfortable with it, but they won't condemn you for it. I mean, I'm sure they love you like any parent would love their kid. So it might worry them that you like MLP but it did so with my mom too. But when I got off to college and showed her I can live a normal, productive life AND enjoy ponies, she never brought it back up.

I really don't know what to tell you other than don't tell your parents if you don't know how they'll react. And if you just need an outlet where you can talk about ponies, well, you've come to the right place.

I really wish you the best. It's tough being a brony when you don't know how people are gonna take it. sad.png

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 1

a real friend wouldn't abandon you or dislike you if you did like the show, or they really wouldn't be your friend, personally you could hint about it, saying at time to time you like it, but not going over the top, but personally myself I don't mention I like the ponies just the music itself, the fans and the show makes.

Welcome to the club, my friend. I haven't told anyone yet either. I've been spending a lot of time hidden away in my room. My room mates wonder what I do all the time, and I don't really have much of an answer. :P

I'm not worried they'll abandon me, because I have other friends who do like the show, but I'm really self conscious of it, I know I shouldn't be, but.. well, small towns and reputations tend to make or break your presence in a community. For me, I'd probably get made fun of quite a bit at work. Which would really suck for me.

I can't really give you much advice here aside from.. well, try hinting at it a bit more with your friends. If your parents and/or friends know you watched it when you were younger, they probably wouldn't think much of you keeping up with the newest generation. You could just pass it off as nostalgic value.

• Brohoof 1

I am so glad I took your advice, I told my mom and she was fine! I didn't have the nerve to walk up to her and tell her so I sent her an email and she just took it from there! Thank you guys, I am so relieved I have finally gotten it off my chestbiggrin.png