Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chivarlry is dead?

Stealth

I hold doors open for people regardless of sex. I'm being polite. Hell, back in high school when I was a lowly betafag, I'd hold doors open for dozens, sometimes hundreds of people a day. I mean, I still do it when the opportunity arises, but not at that level. 

• Brohoof 2

Support of “chivalry” also has many technical troubles.

1) It’s not an either-or where men view you as either beneath them or on a pedestal.

2) Wanting only sex is not disrespectful in itself because sex is not a disrespectful or negative thing. Sex is a natural desire that adults should be free to seek outside of the confines of a committed relationship. Treating a human being as an object or a tool – without boundaries or feelings – is bad.

3) What about women who only want sex? They exist. Is that okay while it's wrong for men to be that way? If so, why and does that place women above or below men?

4) What are women to do to prove to men that they don’t only want sex?

5) What are women to do to prove to men that they don’t just want a meal ticket or to use them in some way?

6) Are women not required to prove their intentions to men? If so, why? Does that place women above or below men?

Questions, questions…

Edited by Cygnus

I guess the issue here lies in how different people perceive things.

On an example which is being processed here constantly:

If I held a door for somebody and got scolded for it, I'd just shut them tight in front of their faces instantly without saying a word. If somebody understands my act of politeness as an implication of their weaknesses, it's not me offending them, but them, *in my understanding*, having some kind of self-insecurities or complexes.

Let's be honest here, would I be normal if I assumed that a healthy, grown person cannot open doors by themselves? I really doubt so, how ridiculous is that? I'm holding doors quite often, both for men and women alike, and never yet had I encountered a scolding.

If a person sees such deed as a devaluation of their social image, it's more of this persons' problem than mine. Majority of people see it only as an act of kindness, so that person implies social awkwardness and/or emotional instability at themselves. By trying to protect their image, they only damage it by making a needless scene in front of others.

If they want to be blank, closed, emotionless and gray pedestrians in a community which ignores everyone around minding only their own business, they're free to go. But I refuse becoming that kind of person.

professor_layton_splash.jpg

I think chivalry isn't dead, but rather... sleeping.

In all sincerity, I think chivalry in itself isn't entirely as glorious as we make it out to be, if for no other reason than the endeavor that it's "rules" really only seem to apply to men. In fact, men are encouraged to treat a woman as though they deserve special treatment. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll hold a door open for a girl; I'll also hold it open for a guy, or a transvestite. And at the risk of sounding selfish, I expect the same treatment. For the sake of courtesy

But yes, "chivalry", for all the good it is, is most certainly going down the drain. Nowadays, guys seem to only want sex and a girl to brag to their friends about. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather rub girls' feet for the rest of my life over using them as mere objects of sex appeal and bragging rights. I don't think it's quite as bad as people make it out to be, but yes, the quality of true "chivalry" is just about out.

That's how I see it, anyway.

There is a little bit of chivalry left. You could hold the door for a woman out of kindness, and they could act rudely towards you. On the other hand, you could use opportunities to get in their pants. Either way, it isn't dead.

I think chivalry isn't dead, but rather... sleeping.

In all sincerity, I think chivalry in itself isn't entirely as glorious as we make it out to be, if for no other reason than the endeavor that it's "rules" really only seem to apply to men. In fact, men are encouraged to treat a woman as though they deserve special treatment. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll hold a door open for a girl; I'll also hold it open for a guy, or a transvestite. And at the risk of sounding selfish, I expect the same treatment. For the sake of courtesy

But yes, "chivalry", for all the good it is, is most certainly going down the drain. Nowadays, guys seem to only want sex and a girl to brag to their friends about. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather rub girls' feet for the rest of my life over using them as mere objects of sex appeal and bragging rights. I don't think it's quite as bad as people make it out to be, but yes, the quality of true "chivalry" is just about out.

That's how I see it, anyway.

I get the feeling people would be anywhere from pissed to confused to uncomfortable if someone went out of their way to hold a door for them and them alone because they were black, asian, gay, transgender, Generation Z, or pretty much any other form of social or group identity. However, in a society that's mostly abandoned old gender norms which might give purpose to it women are still expected to stay in their place relative to men with chivalry in spirit... and like it! (or else it's our fault plain old respect is going down the drain and bad things are happening)

The fact that people miss the implications of this kind of thinking entirely suggests a lot of uncomfortable things. I can't wait until it's dead.

Edited by Cygnus

Yeah I would have to agree as well... 

There have been many times in which I have opened a door for someone and the person either just walked on by or looked at me oddly.... 

Its not completely dead but not many seem to practice it nowadays.

Seems like chivalry is well and alive in Canada! In all seriousness, its actually pretty common practice up here (I live in Toronto). This is more of a serious topic for us Canadians: 

jj2.png

Granted for what it is, Chivalry by its term is a bit sexist in origin, but we are talking about a 19th/20th century definition which is exclusive for men giving preferential treatment to women. However, if you practice kindness without regard to whatever gender, but just simply because of kindness, we really don't need chivalry anymore. It's also why Kindness is an element of Harmony and NOT Chivalry, rolfmao 

• Brohoof 4

I just don't see how valuing a womans life over mine is sexist

*facepalm*

It is considered sexist because it implies that women are weak or in need of protection, as if they can't manage on their own compared to men. On the flip side, it's sexist because it implies men are "expendable".

If you want to hold the door for people that's fine. But to do it for women and not for men is most definitely sexist.

Edited by Static Electricity
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I'd like to think that chivalry is dying and being replaced with general kindness and respect for other people, no matter what their race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. 

I don't treat women any differently just because they're women. Since it is the popular example being used, I would hold the door open for anyone (granted, if they are in a reasonable distance behind me). Plus, I just really don't like the thought of being nice to somebody just to get something from them. 

I'm a firm believer in the phrase "Be the change you wish to see in the world". So even if some people are rather snarky at times, I still tell them "Thank you, I hope you have a good day". Not sarcastically though, because I legitimately hope they have a good day. I just see no reason in continuing the chain of negativity. 

Anyway, this was my first "rant post". Hopefully I stated everything eloquently enough. 

• Brohoof 1