Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mlp flash animation tutorials?

Cast

(edited)

Hi all its Cast,

I'm looking into the animation process of Friendship is magic, and was wondering if any fellow animators or anyone really knew of a few good tutorials or articles on animating in their style, even an inside the studio video would help understand it.

Or had any advice on starting a flash animation, still rather new to it.

I would love to start drawing up some animated pony shorts, just need some tools you know.

I'm currently using adobe flash pro CS4 just encase it makes a difference.

I have been all over youtube and not really ran into a lot of information about the production of mlp so I figured the community would be aware of resources others didn't know of.

Thanks everyone ^_^

Edited by Cast
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm also a noob at Flash (although I'm trying to improve). But from what I heard they use Flash 8 (not sure why they would use such an old version but hey ;) ) with some other third party programs. I'm not sure whether the animation is done frame by frame or with tweens... I think it's a little bit of both.

You might want to check out those videos, it might give you an idea of the subtleties of how the animation is done.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhGGy3i6aA

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbCWkXNIP1g

You might also want to read these Q&As with one of the show's animators. It might answer a few of your questions.

http://images3.wikia...Pan_QandA_1.png

http://images3.wikia...Pan_QandA_2.png

But yeah I suggest you watch tons of tutorials about Flash animation in general. Start with some smaller animation projects and then slowly move on to bigger projects as you progressively get better and more accustomed with Flash.

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 1

I've actually been thinking of looking up something like this.

I don't think I'd go for some big pretentious project or anything, but animating Ponies would be a cool thing to learn to REALLY appreciate the show even more!

(edited)

-Marshmallow- Thanks alot for that one I simply thought they would be using the latest versions for production, I will have to look into that and see what happens, I to have been using multiple programs for what works I have done, but not been able to get Flash till now lol

-ScottishUnicorn- O ya I intend to start out small with Flash, only would do some very short, shorts and play with techniques. But ya I'm not new to animation, or really flash I did go to collage for this just was a few years ago, need to relearn some stuff and figure out their style but flash it self is not that scary.

-Colton and Tootsie- Ya I'm not planning a giant film or anything, just want to learn for more animation research then anything, and ya would be a lot of fun to make shorts for people. They really do a lot of work on that show, sad they don't get a lot of credit for it, but ya if you even just study the show, like turn off audio you will get a much better understanding of the work involved. But I would be happy to share with you any useful information I find about animating these pony's if you'd like?

I'm also a noob at Flash (although I'm trying to improve). But from what I heard they use Flash 8 (not sure why they would use such an old version but hey ;) ) with some other third party programs. I'm not sure whether the animation is done frame by frame or with tweens... I think it's a little bit of both.

You might want to check out those videos, it might give you an idea of the subtleties of how the animation is done.

Thank you very much for posting the videos, I will definitely watch them.

You might also want to read these Q&As with one of the show's animators. It might answer a few of your questions.

http://images3.wikia...Pan_QandA_1.png

http://images3.wikia...Pan_QandA_2.png

But yeah I suggest you watch tons of tutorials about Flash animation in general. Start with some smaller animation projects and then slowly move on to bigger projects as you progressively get better and more accustomed with Flash.

If your new to animation, don't even bother trying to start with mlp. Learn the program, and then start small and work your way up.

I've actually been thinking of looking up something like this.

I don't think I'd go for some big pretentious project or anything, but animating Ponies would be a cool thing to learn to REALLY appreciate the show even more!

Edited by Cast

Personally, I don't know anything about Flash, but someone on DA created an "Animator's Kit" of sorts. You can download the FLA file, and it has a couple of animation sequences you can look at, deconstruct, etc. It's mostly walking cycles, but you can see how the elements are all setup, ordered, etc. There's a download link in the description of this deviation.

(edited)

I dont know much about animating ponies but to start out with flash you shuld try lynda.coms video tutorials. Their essentials series goes all thr way from just using the intrerface to advaced animation. It took me about 1 week to learn flash there but it migth have helped me that im alredy fimiliar with vectoring and keyframe animation^^

Edited by Robojot

Robojot- thank you so much for that link, been working through tutorials for about an hour now. Ty Ty Ty Ty

joeyh3- Thanks a million for the help, and getting a pony walk out thanks to the information ty!

I dont know much about animating ponies but to start out with flash you shuld try lynda.coms video tutorials. Their essentials series goes all thr way from just using the intrerface to advaced animation. It took me about 1 week to learn flash there but it migth have helped me that im alredy fimiliar with vectoring and keyframe animation^^

Personally, I don't know anything about Flash, but someone on DA created an "Animator's Kit" of sorts. You can download the FLA file, and it has a couple of animation sequences you can look at, deconstruct, etc. It's mostly walking cycles, but you can see how the elements are all setup, ordered, etc. There's a download link in the description of this deviation.

-ScottishUnicorn- O ya I intend to start out small with Flash, only would do some very short, shorts and play with techniques. But ya I'm not new to animation, or really flash I did go to collage for this just was a few years ago, need to relearn some stuff and figure out their style but flash it self is not that scary.

Also if your interested in animation, I recommend this book "The Animator's Survival Kit" it's a good read and can assist you quite a bit. http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571202284

I took courses back in High School on Flash and it's definitely powerful when it comes to creating complex animation sequences. If you're just starting out, I do recommend getting the hang of tweening and Keyframes, after that it isnt too bad.

• 10 months later...