How much make up do you wear?

Reverie

None, guys don't need make-up do they? Maybe they do, but I wouldn't look good with make-up. :P

Make up suits everyone, it's just about figuring out what best works with your features.

i've pondered about how purple lipstick would look on me. that's probably the only thing i want to try, though, as i generally see make-up as a waste of money, but hey, whatever makes you happy, do it!

You'd probably have a heart attack at my credit card bill then! I can't go a week without buying new make up and brushes. It adds up to hundreds a month.

And deep plum/purple lipstick is divine; it used to be my go to lip colour when I was around 15/16.

You'd probably have a heart attack at my credit card bill then! I can't go a week without buying new make up and brushes. It adds up to hundreds a month.

And deep plum/purple lipstick is divine; it used to be my go to lip colour when I was around 15/16.

you see? YOU SEE???

lol jkwhere would you

find that shade of lipstick, anyway? seems unusual and i can't find it anywhere ghpasegnesgiegweg.

you see? YOU SEE???

lol jkwhere would you

find that shade of lipstick, anyway? seems unusual and i can't find it anywhere ghpasegnesgiegweg.

From cheaper brands, I'd recommend Rimmel - the Kate Moss collection has a fantastic purple lipstick as do their permanent collection. For a less dark purple shade that's still intense, Rimmel's Electric Plum from their moisturising range. L'Oreal also a great one, I believe it's number 214 but I may be wrong. Revlon has a couple as well, I believe it's called Plum or maybe it's Mauve it Over. Mauve it over may be a bit pale though.. My personal favourite is Sleek's Mulberry but I believe that can be hard to get in some places.

Yes, I am a make up geek.

WELL SAID.

But yeah guys don't normally wear make up anyways. (Unless you are goth.) I'm not saying its bad if you are a guy that wears make up, but that most guys just don't because it isn't their style.

Guys don't normally watch my little pony.

There, logic has been made.

Guys don't normally watch my little pony.

There, logic has been made.

If guys don't normally watch MLP, then where did the brony fanbase come from?

Mascara. Sometimes eyeshadow/eyeliner, but only on special occasions.

And if I don't wear any makeup on a particular day I'm not one of those girls who's like "I'M SO UGLLLLY!" I just wear a little anyways.

The only time I've "used" makeup is at sleepovers.

If everyone else falls asleep (at the sleepovers I go to), that person gets to trace hot pink makeup and eyeliner all over the sleepers. I happened to be one of the people to fall asleep first.

I find it unfair that girls can make themselves look prettier with makeup and stuff, but there's not really anything guys can do to make themselves look better...

reminds me of a south park joke. Why do girls wear make-up and perfume? because they are ugly and they stink. lol. pretty immature but funny nevertheless
  • Brohoof 1

But yeah guys don't normally wear make up anyways. (Unless you are goth.) I'm not saying its bad if you are a guy that wears make up, but that most guys just don't because it isn't their style.

These guys aren't goth and they are wearing plenty of make-up:

Posted Image

I think it worked out for them. :)

Ha ha, yes, make-up is not for everypony. Some will like it and some will not - just find your own style and enjoy being yourself. :D

I find make-up to be extremely creepy and discussing.

so... yeah.

I don't do makeup.

Can I ask why? Dw, I'm not going to attack you or anything. I'm just writing something on the importance of fashion, make up, image etc and why people disregard it as an art form even though it's the one form of art that it is impossible to avoid being a part of. I find that quite ignorant and want to unravel it as best I can.

Besides concealer when my skin gets a breakout, I don't wear makeup. Thankfully I don't get breakouts too often, but when I do it's really just red and not too bad. So I tend to forget. Otherwise, I don't.

Can I ask why? Dw, I'm not going to attack you or anything. I'm just writing something on the importance of fashion, make up, image etc and why people disregard it as an art form even though it's the one form of art that it is impossible to avoid being a part of. I find that quite ignorant and want to unravel it as best I can.

First off, I'm not saying that it's not an art form. I'm just saying that I strongly dislike said art form.

As for why I dislike make-up, it's is a combination of 2 things that I don't like.

1. It has to do with the human body and skin, and I find human's bodies and skin, especially closeups of it, to be quite disgusting.

2. It has to do with the modification of the human body for aesthetic purposes, which I dislike.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't find make-up to be morally wrong or anything, I just don't like it myself.

I'm unsure of wut you mean when u said that it's impossible for me not to be a part of the art form of make-up.

(edited)

First off, I'm not saying that it's not an art form. I'm just saying that I strongly dislike said art form.

As for why I dislike make-up, it's is a combination of 2 things that I don't like.

1. It has to do with the human body and skin, and I find human's bodies and skin, especially closeups of it, to be quite disgusting.

2. It has to do with the modification of the human body for aesthetic purposes, which I dislike.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't find make-up to be morally wrong or anything, I just don't like it myself.

I'm unsure of wut you mean when u said that it's impossible for me not to be a part of the art form of make-up.

When I said that I was referring to more as fashion/make up/image as a whole. Fashion is something we cannot avoid. Whether we want it to or not what we put on our bodies when we get ready will say something about us. It may identify us with a a certain type of culture, as following fashion or not following fashion, as working somewhere etc. People will judge us and make assumptions on us as they pass us in the street as your outer appearance is a way to tell the humans we pass by something about ourselves and it will say something about us whether we want it to/are aware of it or not. Different people will react differently to the same look of course, while to some a goth may appear rebellious to others they are merely conforming. Make up is of course an integral part of this, by not wearing make up or appearing to care about it we are giving a certain impression of ourselves while wearing a lot of makeup or certain style of make up will reflect upon an individual in a different way. Moreover, you can never truly disregard fashion because every item of clothing you own was effectively chosen for you by the people who dictate the trends whether you chose to follow them or not, all clothing/make up manufactured is a reflection of that. For this reason aside from music, I believe fashion to be the highest and powerful form of art. Image does matter and it is impossible to get around that. It's a shame because it is often disregarded as such.

I have many more points and could go on for a lot, lot longer but I am writing an entire piece on this for my blog so I think that's a little unnecessary. That was longer than I intended it to be anyway.

Also the large aim of make up is to make up close ups of the skin look a lot more appealing.

Edited by Reverie

When I said that I was referring to more as fashion/make up/image as a whole. Fashion is something we cannot avoid. Whether we want it to or not what we put on our bodies when we get ready will say something about us. It may identify us with a a certain type of culture, as following fashion or not following fashion, as working somewhere etc. People will judge us and make assumptions on us as they pass us in the street as your outer appearance is a way to tell the humans we pass by something about ourselves and it will say something about us whether we want it to/are aware of it or not. Different people will react differently to the same look of course, while to some a goth may appear rebellious to others they are merely conforming. Make up is of course an integral part of this, by not wearing make up or appearing to care about it we are giving a certain impression of ourselves while wearing a lot of makeup or certain style of make up will reflect upon an individual in a different way. Moreover, you can never truly disregard fashion because every item of clothing you own was effectively chosen for you by the people who dictate the trends whether you chose to follow them or not, all clothing/make up manufactured is a reflection of that. For this reason aside from music, I believe fashion to be the highest and powerful form of art. Image does matter and it is impossible to get around that. It's a shame because it is often disregarded as such.

Also the large aim of make up is to make up close ups of the skin look a lot more appealing.

Okay, I thought by not being able to avoid make-up you meant I have to use make-up or something. TY for clarifying.

Well, again, the reason I find make-up to be useless to me is that I think that it makes closeups look worse than skin without makeup.

Different people will react differently to the same look of course, while to some a goth may appear rebellious to others they are merely conforming.

Conforming? Ouch. I thought we no longer had this problem since Hot Topic stopped being goth and the rise of other things like Steampunk, hipster and Emo.

While jokes have been made on the subject of conformity within the culture (I immediately think of Jhonen Vasquez's "Anne Gwish"):

Posted Image

I do not think most Goths want to be mainstream in any way. And, precisely because of the desire to be different, Goth really is constantly evolving. What is Goth music? Ask 10 different Goths and get 10 different answers. Go to a Goth club - you'll see romantigoths, rivetheads, cybergoth, maybe some steampunk and gravers (ravers with a gothic twist). Plenty of goths do not even like being called goth, go figure.

I remember talking to a friend of mine and I asked her, "Can you look goth and wear white?" This was her answer:

Posted Image

Notice how make-up is a big part of her answer. :)

Edited by DrOphthalmos

Okay, I thought by not being able to avoid make-up you meant I have to use make-up or something. TY for clarifying.

Well, again, the reason I find make-up to be useless to me is that I think that it makes closeups look worse than skin without makeup.

Just one of a few examples I could give:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZm3vwrF8Q

Conforming? Ouch. I thought we no longer had this problem since Hot Topic stopped being goth and the rise of other things like Steampunk, hipster and Emo.

While jokes have been made on the subject of conformity within the culture (I immediately think of Jhonen Vasquez's "Anne Gwish"):

Posted Image

I do not think most Goths want to be mainstream in any way. And, precisely because of the desire to be different, Goth really is constantly evolving. What is Goth music? Ask 10 different Goths and get 10 different answers. Go to a Goth club - you'll see romantigoths, rivetheads, cybergoth, maybe some steampunk and gravers (ravers with a gothic twist). Plenty of goths do not even like being called goth, go figure.

I remember talking to a friend of mine and I asked her, "Can you look goth and wear white?" This was her answer:

Posted Image

Notice how make-up is a big part of her answer. :)

But you are identifying yourself with a subculture. Surely that in and of itself is conforming? Even though of course there are many differences between each individual Goth in what they consider that to be.. It's still taking on a particular style, that is whether you like it or not, a popular subculture style/identifiable with a particular fashion tribe.

But you are identifying yourself with a subculture. Surely that in and of itself is conforming? Even though of course there are many differences between each individual Goth in what they consider that to be.. It's still taking on a particular style, that is whether you like it or not, a popular subculture style/identifiable with a particular fashion tribe.

And that's why plenty of goths do not like being called goths saying they can't stand "labels." You are correct - there is a catch22 here. You want to be non-conformist and yet in doing so you are conforming to other non-conformists. There is no way to win so I do not mind the "label." :)

I guess my point is that no goth wants to be seen as "conforming" even if it is partially true.

And with that, I'll stop talking about goths - I am trying hard to keep to the topic of make-up. Guess I brought them up in the first place since many goths love make-up. :)

Edited by DrOphthalmos

And with that, I'll stop talking about goths - I am trying hard to keep to the topic of make-up. Guess I brought them up in the first place since many goths love make-up. :)

Yes, I've noticed topics here often get hideously sidetracked then get deleted for 'arguing' haha. So probably best to steer it back to make up :)

Yes, I've noticed topics here often get hideously sidetracked then get deleted for 'arguing' haha. So probably best to steer it back to make up :)

On that note, what did you think of the gothic-in-white girl's make-up? I love that black swirly off her eye thing she has going.