Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

King Sombra in the comics [spoilers]

Forlong

Okay, so Sombra has appeared twice in the comics.  In issue #4 of Friends Forever and in the Reflections arc (issues 17-20).  We've actually found out a lot about him:

• He liked to read.
  • He was a bit of a gear-head.
  • His appearance in the show was unnatural.
  • He was unknown to Celestia before his rise to power.
  • He rose to power early in Luna's turn to darkness.
  • He was not a proper king.  He assumed that title after taking over the Crystal Empire.
  • Most importantly: HE'S STILL ALIVE!

138582__safe_wallpaper_spoiler-s03e01_gl

SOON!

• Brohoof 3

I thought I saw somewhere that one of the show writers confirmed that he was dead. I do t think his appearance in the comics contradicts that, unless it missed something.

Where was it implied that evil Sombra is still alive? I don't think the two universes are so closely connected that evil Sombra's death would automatically cause good Sombra's death. That said, the rules of how this universes interact are so murky right now it's hard to tell what exactly is going on right now.

Unfortunately the comics aren't really "canon." Though I do prefer the way Sombra is being dealt with in the comics as opposed to how he was handled in the show. It's nice to see him say something else besides "Crystals". 

Where was it implied that evil Sombra is still alive? I don't think the two universes are so closely connected that evil Sombra's death would automatically cause good Sombra's death. That said, the rules of how this universes interact are so murky right now it's hard to tell what exactly is going on right now.

The problem with dealing with evil Celestia is the fact that her life-force is connected with good Celestia.  So yes, if good Sombra is still alive, so is evil Sombra.

Unfortunately the comics aren't really "canon."

Actually they are.  The comics writers work closely with the show writers and there are no major contradictions between the two.

• Brohoof 1

Actually they are.  The comics writers work closely with the show writers and there are no major contradictions between the two.

The comics seem as if they're secondary canon. They don't contradict the show, and they remain canon until something in the show proves them wrong. The comics to the show are kind of like an anime movie to the anime itself. It may not be referenced in the show, but it still is part of the universe. 

I just got comic #19 the other day, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the "good sombra" arc so far. I can't wait to see how it ends. 

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I saw somewhere that one of the show writers confirmed that he was dead. I do t think his appearance in the comics contradicts that, unless it missed something.

It was a quote by one of the writers at a Q&A convention. She said something along the lines of "who cares about him, he'd dead anyway" while laughing a little.

I really doubt that it's the final word on Sombra in the show. I certainly hope not. :(

But I LOVED Sombra in the Reflections arc, and I appreciated the little bit of backstory of him in the Twilight/Shining FF comic.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...