movies/tv General Disney Discussion

The Taxman

Hey, guys! So I'm pretty sure I'm not the only big Disney fan here (right? Right?). Anyway, this is the place for Disney fans to talk about their movies and stuff  :lol:

My favorite Disney movie would have to be Treasure Planet, it's quite underrated IMO. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I really like Pirates of the Caribbean and also the Lone Ranger. I believe both of them are Disney movies. I don't really watch Disney Cartoons though. 

Aw, why don't you watch the cartoons?

My favorite would have to be Aladdin.  Iago was obnoxious to most but I liked him. 

Edited by mcpon14

My favorite would have to be Aladdin.  Iago was obnoxious to most but I liked him. 

I loved Aladdin as well :lol: Iago is probably the last annoying sidekick along with Mss. Potts and Olaf IMO. He's actually pretty funny.

@boitparte-MC's right! Why don't you watch the cartoons? People may say they're too imature for adults but there are actually a lot of dark ones (like The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan) that come off really well.

• Brohoof 1

I find them far too immature for adults. Even the darkest ones are still quite childish. I just don't really like the Disney Universe when it comes to cartoons.

I don' t really watch cartoons (except MLP, lol), but if I had to choose, I would probably choose Pixar over Disney.

P.S : boitparte :lol: 

I love Disney, my favourite has always been the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Wreck it Ralph and Tangled are close behind too, ah who am I kidding? I love most of them how can I choose? :lol: Brother Bear is another underrated gem IMO.

I find them far too immature for adults. Even the darkest ones are still quite childish. I just don't really like the Disney Universe when it comes to cartoons.

I don' t really watch cartoons (except MLP, lol), but if I had to choose, I would probably choose Pixar over Disney.

P.S : boitparte :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Implied rape. Also, in Treasure Planet there's a montage of Jim's father leaving-we see his mother crying really hard, Jim realizing what's happened, and him trying to run and stop his father from leaving but ultimately failing. (yeah, his father just decided to leave bc he was tiered of married life) And lot's not forget that the song 'Reflection' has a sllight suidicial tone.  The Black Cauldron also had sexisim in it. But your opinion is your opinion :P

I love Disney, my favourite has always been the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Wreck it Ralph and Tangled are close behind too, ah who am I kidding? I love most of them how can I choose? :lol: Brother Bear is another underrated gem IMO.

WHOO YES! Hunchback is my second favorite with Beauty and the Beast. I also like Brother Bear, it was the last good Disney movie in the Oughties IMO.

Frozen... FOREVER!!! I mean really who can resist Anna?

I do love Frozen, but I have a slight issue on how it handles depression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Implied rape. Also, in Treasure Planet there's a montage of Jim's father leaving-we see his mother crying really hard, Jim realizing what's happened, and him trying to run and stop his father from leaving but ultimately failing. (yeah, his father just decided to leave bc he was tiered of married life) And lot's not forget that the song 'Reflection' has a sllight suidicial tone.  The Black Cauldron also had sexisim in it. But your opinion is your opinion :P

WHOO YES! Hunchback is my second favorite with Beauty and the Beast. I also like Brother Bear, it was the last good Disney movie in the Oughties IMO.

I do love Frozen, but I have a slight issue on how it handles depression.

I still haven't seen Treasure Planet :( 

Quasimodo is a seriously underrated hero, and that film is waaay mature in parts (read that in Maud's voice :P ) Definitely true, its a shame it got stuck in the reputation of those other movies from around that time :(

What are your favourite scenes everypony?

Here's a few off the top of my head :D

I still haven't seen Treasure Planet :(

Quasimodo is a seriously underrated hero, and that film is waaay mature in parts (read that in Maud's voice :P ) Definitely true, its a shame it got stuck in the reputation of those other movies from around that time :(

What are your favourite scenes everypony?

Here's a few off the top of my head :D

Woops, I spoiled things a bit, didn't I? Anyway, you should try to watch it. It has one of the best animation scenes in movie history, and they really add a lot of personality to the characters.

There were three good Disney movies in the Oughties. Brother Bear, Lilo and Stitch, and Treasure Planet. I do enjoy The Emperor's New Groove and Atlantis, but I don't think I can consider them 'good'. And Dinosaur was...no. Not sure if you count Fantasia 2000 but I liked it.

As for favorite scene; SON OF MAN LOOK TO THE SKY LIFT YOUR SPIRIT, SEND IT FREEE, SOMEDAY YOU'LL WALK TALL WITH PRIDE SON OF MAN A MANNN IN TIME YOU'L BEEEE

I personally view Disney as pure evil but I will admit they have some good movies like pirates of the caribbean and a few others but Disney channel is complete crap now days they used to have good shows but now more than 90% of what they have on there sucks and don't even get me started on the terrible celebrities they endorse and here are a few prime examples: Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, the Jonas brothers and that's just to name a few. But like I said they actually do have good movies although I don't really like the some of the ones people seem to obsess over.

Woops, I spoiled things a bit, didn't I? Anyway, you should try to watch it. It has one of the best animation scenes in movie history, and they really add a lot of personality to the characters.

There were three good Disney movies in the Oughties. Brother Bear, Lilo and Stitch, and Treasure Planet. I do enjoy The Emperor's New Groove and Atlantis, but I don't think I can consider them 'good'. And Dinosaur was...no. Not sure if you count Fantasia 2000 but I liked it.

As for favorite scene; SON OF MAN LOOK TO THE SKY LIFT YOUR SPIRIT, SEND IT FREEE, SOMEDAY YOU'LL WALK TALL WITH PRIDE SON OF MAN A MANNN IN TIME YOU'L BEEEE

I will, I'm off to town in a bit to go Disney DVD hunting :D 

I LOVED Lilo and Stitch :D I was in Florida when they were making it and got a behind the scenes preview :) 

Oh my goodness, you picked great scene there! Tarzan is amazing !!! The opening sequence is incredible too :D

I will, I'm off to town in a bit to go Disney DVD hunting :D

I LOVED Lilo and Stitch :D I was in Florida when they were making it and got a behind the scenes preview :)

Oh my goodness, you picked great scene there! Tarzan is amazing !!! The opening sequence is incredible too :D

It shouldn't be that hard to find, a Blue-Ray was released a year and a half ago :D . If not, I do know a safe place where it's available for watching online, but I'm not sure if I have the permission to URL it. 

I loved Lilo and Stitch! I always get annoyed when people say Frozen was the first Disney movie about sisters, it was Lilo and Stitch LOL. 

Two worlds, one family...Phil Collins is amazing :D

(edited)

It shouldn't be that hard to find, a Blue-Ray was released a year and a half ago :D . If not, I do know a safe place where it's available for watching online, but I'm not sure if I have the permission to URL it. 

I loved Lilo and Stitch! I always get annoyed when people say Frozen was the first Disney movie about sisters, it was Lilo and Stitch LOL. 

Two worlds, one family...Phil Collins is amazing :D

The hunting turned out as a bit of a fail, my local HMV is rather poor, amazon will be the way to go :) I don't think you can but I don't use such websites anyway (I'm rather paranoid! :P) thank you though! Yer people forget that one, they think only of Stitch for better or worse :s As much as I love Frozen, I still think Tangled is a better film.

Phil Collins is gold! I loved No Way Out (?) in Brother Bear also :D

Edited by Guest

Am I the only one terrified at the prospect of the future being nothing but an endless series of Disney's gritty reboots? Alice in Wonderland was eh, and Maleficent was gah, and supposedly they're planning to mess with another Disney princess...i'm scared.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ah, I see. The thing is while I do think treasure Planet is a superb movie, the steampunk setting may pull a few people off. So I think you'd better look at some scenes on YT to see whether you wanna buy it or not :)

I like Tangled more as well. I think Frozen is sort of becoming annoying, I mean how many people credit it for doing things that's been done before?

Sisters has been done in Lilo and Sitch.

You can't marry a man you just met was done since the 80's. 

True love's kiss was subverted since The Little Mermaid.

Depression has been done in Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

Awkward lead has been done in Mulan. 

XD

I do like the song but I have issues with when it's played :P

@Shimmer-Yeah, I'm scared of that :o They're making Beauty and the Beast, and it's one of my favorite Disney movies and it would be a shame if it was ruined ;-; I hope The Little Mermaid rumors aren't true...I just had a terrible idea, what if they remade Snow White?

Edited by Clarissa

(edited)

Ah, I see. The thing is while I do think treasure Planet is a superb movie, the steampunk setting may pull a few people off. So I think you'd better look at some scenes on YT to see whether you wanna buy it or not :)

I like Tangled more as well. I think Frozen is sort of becoming annoying, I mean how many people credit it for doing things that's been done before?

Sisters has been done in Lilo and Sitch.

You can't marry a man you just met was done since the 80's. 

True love's kiss was subverted since The Little Mermaid.

Depression has been done in Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

Awkward lead has been done in Mulan. 

XD

I do like the song but I have issues with when it's played :P

@Shimmer-Yeah, I'm scared of that :o They're making Beauty and the Beast, and it's one of my favorite Disney movies and it would be a shame if it was ruined ;-; I hope The Little Mermaid rumors aren't true...I just had a terrible idea, what if they remade Snow White?

My ex actually cited Treasure Planet as her favourite Disney film , I've only heard good things so far :)

I know what you mean, I love Frozen and all but it has become rather overrated IMO.

Very well said! 

I know what you mean, poor Koda :( Major case of the feels every time I watch that :(

I really don't like these 'gritty' remakes at all, give me the originals any day! I just wish they would stop trying to make the gritty live-action remake happen. Put the creative energy into making a new 2d animated classic instead :P

Edited by Guest

My ex actually cited Treasure Planet as her favourite Disney film , I've only heard good things so far :)

I know what you mean, I love Frozen and all but it has become rather overrated IMO.

Very well said! 

I know what you mean, poor Koda :( Major case of the feels every time I watch that :(

I really don't like these 'gritty' remakes at all, give me the originals any day! I just wish they would stop trying to make the gritty live-action remake happen. Put the creative energy into making a new  2d animated classic instead :P

Woah, that's pretty cool! I'e met only one other person who likes Treasure Planet (not counting some Internet reviewers), and she hasn't seen it in a long time. 

There are a lot of good things in the movie. The characters (the major ones, anyway) are very well done. Jim in particular is a nice take on the rebellious teenager, you expect him to be annyoing but he actually has a lot of depth to him (helps that he has an awesome theme song). Silver is a really good villian (Yeah...it's Treasure Island, I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I'm saying that), he manages to be both ruthless and sympathetic. Sort of like Frollo, though ultimately Frollo is more awesome XD) Captain Amelia is AWESOME. And Doctor Doppler isn't as well developed but he still manages to get some pretty good moments in ('Dang it, Jim, I'm an astronomer, not a doctor!! Well, I do have a doctorate, but it's not the same thing! With a doctorate, you just sit there and you're useless!' *cries with laughter*) The animation in particular is really good, they used the same method that they did with Tarzan and they pulled it off well.

I don't like the remakes either. I heard some of my classmates saying that maleficent was better than Sleeping Beauty and my reaction was 'WTF'. 

(edited)

Woah, that's pretty cool! I'e met only one other person who likes Treasure Planet (not counting some Internet reviewers), and she hasn't seen it in a long time. 

There are a lot of good things in the movie. The characters (the major ones, anyway) are very well done. Jim in particular is a nice take on the rebellious teenager, you expect him to be annyoing but he actually has a lot of depth to him (helps that he has an awesome theme song). Silver is a really good villian (Yeah...it's Treasure Island, I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I'm saying that), he manages to be both ruthless and sympathetic. Sort of like Frollo, though ultimately Frollo is more awesome XD) Captain Amelia is AWESOME. And Doctor Doppler isn't as well developed but he still manages to get some pretty good moments in ('Dang it, Jim, I'm an astronomer, not a doctor!! Well, I do have a doctorate, but it's not the same thing! With a doctorate, you just sit there and you're useless!' *cries with laughter*) The animation in particular is really good, they used the same method that they did with Tarzan and they pulled it off well.

I don't like the remakes either. I heard some of my classmates saying that maleficent was better than Sleeping Beauty and my reaction was 'WTF'. 

You're making this even easier for me to buy :) As someone thinking of doing a PHD, this made me laugh endlessly! :lol: Frollo is awesome = the original Mother Gothel! Tarzan's animation was amazing (and award winning if I recall) as it was the first to use digital watercolour backgrounds or something like that. What is your impression of Atlantis by the way? 

That actually killed me a little inside, I love Sleeping Beauty :(

Edited by Guest

You're making this even easier for me to buy :) As someone thinking of doing a PHD, this made me laugh endlessly! :lol: Frollo is awesome = the original Mother Gothel! Tarzan's animation was amazing (and award winning if I recall) as it was the first to use digital watercolour backgrounds or something like that. What is your impression of Atlantis by the way? 

That actually killed me a little inside, I love Sleeping Beauty :(

Yeah, Frollo is awesome! :D He's my favorite Disney villain. 

Atlantis eh? Hoo boy this is a though one. I watched it on Fox Family a year ago. Well, first of all, the animation is superb. No denying that. The music score, despite having no songs, is also pretty good. The scene where Kida *SPOILERS* becomes the Heart of Atlantis is one of my favorites. I also liked some f the characters, especially Milo and Kida and Audrey, despite the fact that they didn't have much development.

Now for the bad stuff...there are a lot of one-dimensional characters everywhere. Rourke in particular is worse than Clayton, and at least Clayton had this mustache and was voiced by BRIAN BLESSED. The exploration team, while fun, aren't really memorable as a whole. The plot does drag on some times, and the ending was somewhat of a Deus Ex Machina IMO.

Overall? I certainly did enjoy it, but I'm not sure whether I'd consider it a good movie XD. It is definetly an improvement over Dinosaur, though. Also Atlantis was the first Disney movie that came out while I was born (or it was Lilo and Stitch if you use my English birthday). Something worth noting. 

(edited)

I'm very much a Disney fan, having enjoyed the princess movies, I gre up with the movies and even some of the TV shows. Now that doesn't mean I like every disney movis or that any of the movies are perfect.

Take Frozen for example. This is a wonderful movie that I greatly enjoyed but I felt turning Prince Hans into the villain was forced and it nearly ruined the movie for me.

The Pirates of the Caribbean were at times also hit and miss.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

My favorite Disney villain is Maleficent without a doubt, she is just a badass.

http://youtu.be/RYnfm_1El20

Yes, Maleficent is without a doubt one of the best villains Disney ever created... which they then messed up in the live action movie that came out.

They don't even stay true to her turning into a dragon at the end of the movie, no they have her raven servant become the dragon.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

Yeah, Frollo is awesome! :D He's my favorite Disney villain. 

Atlantis eh? Hoo boy this is a though one. I watched it on Fox Family a year ago. Well, first of all, the animation is superb. No denying that. The music score, despite having no songs, is also pretty good. The scene where Kida *SPOILERS* becomes the Heart of Atlantis is one of my favorites. I also liked some f the characters, especially Milo and Kida and Audrey, despite the fact that they didn't have much development.

Now for the bad stuff...there are a lot of one-dimensional characters everywhere. Rourke in particular is worse than Clayton, and at least Clayton had this mustache and was voiced by BRIAN BLESSED. The exploration team, while fun, aren't really memorable as a whole. The plot does drag on some times, and the ending was somewhat of a Deus Ex Machina IMO.

Overall? I certainly did enjoy it, but I'm not sure whether I'd consider it a good movie XD. It is definetly an improvement over Dinosaur, though. Also Atlantis was the first Disney movie that came out while I was born (or it was Lilo and Stitch if you use my English birthday). Something worth noting. 

Great choice! Mine is either him or Hades :lol:

Thats a great scene and I too liked Audrey, she reminded me of Spinelli from Recess for some reason. This is all very true, I certainly didn't care much for the background cast like Mole etc but Helga was cool, wouldn't have minded more of her. I must admit I always get lost halfway through the film and can never explain why by the end :s Its a strange film hence why I asked your opinion :P

I know what you mean, I'm so confused about what I think about it! Dinosaur was just a copy of Land Before Time I always thought,( and LBT was much better :) ) Ah thats not a great one to be born into :lol: Lilo and Stitch is though!  The first one I saw at the cinema was Hunchback actually, when I was about 6. I used to have a doll of Quasimodo :lol: Whats your other form of birthday by the way? :)

Yes, Maleficent is without a doubt one of the best villains Disney ever created... which they then messed up in the live action movie that came out.

They don't even stay true to her turning into a dragon at the end of the movie, no they have her raven servant become the dragon.

I'm so glad I didn't watch this then! I completely agree, Maleficent is fantastic!

Fun fact: the name comes from the combination of two Latin terms "malus" (wicked/evil) and the verb "facere" (to do/make) ergo 'evil-doer' :)