movies/tv General Disney Discussion

The Taxman

Aside from Disney being kind of a terrible company, I really do love a lot of the movies.  Some of the Disney Pixar stuff is top notch, but I have a soft spot for the classic animated movies.  My favorites are Aladdin, Mermaid, Hunchback, and always coming in at number one, Beauty and the Beast.  That's not only my favorite Disney movie, but easily in my top list of favorite movies period.  Maybe not top ten, but definitely top twenty.

I was just comparing Disney songs to MLP songs the other day.  They're both great, but overall I prefer MLP, but I think that the Disney characters tend to have stronger vocals.  I.e. Ariel or Quasimodo would probably beat the Mane 6 if they were all on American Idol, but I like the music in MLP the best.

I would love to see Disney vs MLP on American Idol! :lol: 

@Clarissa, Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of kind, and we'll probably(unfortunately) never see that type of Disney movie again. That movie was so dark, full of mature themes, and had complex moral themes that kids probably wouldn't understand. It was a Disney movie for adults...and it was amazing. Now they just seem content with playing it safe, like with the new string of TinkerBell movies that came out,which are all stuck at a 5 year old comprehension level.

(edited)

Having the Hunchback of Notre Dame as favourite is quite exceptional. I thought that this movie was one of the least favourite ones.

I guess some people might not like that but the dark and sad moments in the movie served an important purpose. I like The Hunchback of Notre Dame because othe crucial issues it raised about the treatment of the poor and those who are seen as different. It has a very positive affirming message about accepting people for their differences and how important it is for all of us to do our part and take a stand.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

Another section of Disney that's underrated-the Winnie the Pooh movies. They have really good soundtracks and handle surprisingly mature themes- in the Heffalump movie, they even handled Xenophobia and outright racism, all through the eyes of Roo, the youngest character. It's surprising how well made that movie was, while still appealing to a young audience.

I don't know about you but Disney has fallen far since it's golden age. I mean yes they came out with Frozen, but I think people received it too well. Honestly if I hear Let it go one more time I'm going to flip my lid! What happened to the oldies like Treasure Planet (yes I'm a fan too), Lady and the Tramp (such a heartwarming story), and the jungle book? I'm not hating because they have come out with good ones like Bolt recently. But they just are falling. even Pixar blew it with the Cars 2.

I...didn't like Frozen. Even putting the music aside, the movie felt empty. Ana, as a princess, is boring, her only defining features are an obsession with boys and her sister, we know nothing else. Elsa is worse; she literally causes all the problems in the movie, and the only thing that stopped her from having a body count is luck; she would've murdered those men in the castle if that ice chandelier hadn't fallen, and she nearly killed Ana three times in the same movie, the third time on purpose if you count the ice golem. Christoff is...pointless, he doesn't add anything to the movie. The only character I liked was Hans, and he would've make an amazing prince... until Disney went all M. Night Shyamalan on us and turned him into a villain because the movie needed someone to be mad at, and apparently the message of you're your greatest enemy is too much for kids, and... ugh...rant over.

1. 'The Lion King' is my favorite Disney movie.

2. I have never seen 'The Little Mermaid'.

3. I didn't like 'Frozen'.

4. "Reflection" and "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" are my favorite songs from 'Mulan".

5. My favorite character from 'Aladdin' is the genie.

6. I can recite all the songs from 'Tarzan'.

7. My favorite line from 'The Emporer's New Groove' is:

"Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall".

"Yup".

"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"

"Most likely"

"... Bring it on".

8. 'Finding Nemo', Minsters Inc., 'WALL-E', 'Enchanted', 'Ratatouille', and 'Chicken Little' are my least favorite Disney movies.

9. 'Toy Story 3' made me cry.

10. Maximus from 'Tangled' is too adorable.

I...didn't like Frozen. Even putting the music aside, the movie felt empty. Ana, as a princess, is boring, her only defining features are an obsession with boys and her sister, we know nothing else. Elsa is worse; she literally causes all the problems in the movie, and the only thing that stopped her from having a body count is luck; she would've murdered those men in the castle if that ice chandelier hadn't fallen, and she nearly killed Ana three times in the same movie, the third time on purpose if you count the ice golem. Christoff is...pointless, he doesn't add anything to the movie. The only character I liked was Hans, and he would've make an amazing prince... until Disney went all M. Night Shyamalan on us and turned him into a villain because the movie needed someone to be mad at, and apparently the message of you're your greatest enemy is too much for kids, and... ugh...rant over.

I didn't like 'Frozen', either. I felt that the story had so much more potential.

@Clarissa, Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of kind, and we'll probably(unfortunately) never see that type of Disney movie again. That movie was so dark, full of mature themes, and had complex moral themes that kids probably wouldn't understand. It was a Disney movie for adults...and it was amazing. Now they just seem content with playing it safe, like with the new string of TinkerBell movies that came out,which are all stuck at a 5 year old comprehension level.

I was talking about how Frozen handled depression but didn't handle it correctly (appearantly one song will get rid of a lifelong problem FOREVAH). You are probably right about that, though. I love The Heffalump Movie.

I don't know about you but Disney has fallen far since it's golden age. I mean yes they came out with Frozen, but I think people received it too well. Honestly if I hear Let it go one more time I'm going to flip my lid! What happened to the oldies like Treasure Planet (yes I'm a fan too), Lady and the Tramp (such a heartwarming story), and the jungle book? I'm not hating because they have come out with good ones like Bolt recently. But they just are falling. even Pixar blew it with the Cars 2.

TREASURE PLANET FAN WHAT *BEN hug*

I agree with you that what they're pulling out now is better than that crap between Brother Bear and Bolt, but still, it doesn't reach Renaissance caliber that much. Hence I refer to this as the 'Second Revival' rather than the 'Second Renaissance'

Yeah, it's a pretty underrated film. Though the reason why I love it may be because I'm obsessed with Sherlock Holmes  XD

Same here. I've read all of the original stories several times. To this day I refuse to watch "Young Sherlock Holmes" because Holmes and Watson met as ADULTS, not as children! Oddly, I do love the BBC's "Sherlock".

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So, Big Hero 6 posters have been released! What do you guys think of them?

From a first impression, I like Honey Lemon and Go Go Tomago the most so far :)

1405130757000-GOGO-TOMAG-BIG-HERO-6-MOV-

1405131071000-HONEYLEMON-BIG-HERO-6-MOV-

Edited by Guest

From a first impression, I like Honey Lemon and Go Go Tomago the most so far :)

1405130757000-GOGO-TOMAG-BIG-HERO-6-MOV-

1405131071000-HONEYLEMON-BIG-HERO-6-MOV-

I like Honey Lemon's best as well. Though her superhero mode sort of looks like Rapunzel. Hopefully this is the last time they use a similar character model :) . She still looks pretty unique in some ways though. 

I received both Hercules and Tarzan from the Disney Movie Club today. I remember seeing them in theaters, but the blu-rays look fantastic! So far I am very glad I bought these.

I received both Hercules and Tarzan from the Disney Movie Club today. I remember seeing them in theaters, but the blu-rays look fantastic! So far I am very glad I bought these.

I like Hercules very much, and Tarzan is in my Top 10 c: . You'll have a fun time watching them, trust me! I wanted to buy the Little Mermaid Platinum edition last sunday, but my dad wouldn't let me D:

Treasure Planet has got to be my favorite Disney movie. Who would have thought that setting Treasure Island in space would be a cool idea? I don't know who thought that up, but Treasure Planet pulled that off in a great way.

And this:

Treasure_Planet_1.jpg

...isn't Treasure Island, it's Treasure Planet. What a mess of awesomeness Treasure Planet is. I like it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey, guys, we've got to keep this thread active :P

What's everyone's favourite Disney song? Mine is Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid.

Edited by Clarissa
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Disney was one my favourite company. It brought emotions into our life the best way possible for the needs of happiness. That's all what Walt Disney wanted, the happiness of children. And I love him for that.

To the Topic.

My favourite Disney Movies?

10. The Black Cauldron

Definetely the worst animated Disney movie, but only because it's the darkest and did not satisfied critics or fans. Even though the main author from the book based off the movie recomended the movie.

The highlight is the main villain, The Horned King. How do I put it? HE'S BAD-ASS. MOST HORRIFYING THING EVER! Also, John Hurt voices him. Pure awesomeness, I fainted from fangasming the first time I saw him.

9.Treasure Planet

Taking the classic tale of Treasure Island into the future? Awesome. And that's basically what this movie is. Pure futuristic awesomeness.

I do think that they probably could have done something better with the entire movie, but that's just me.

8.Bambi

Very mature and dark movie, I love it.

7.Aladdin

A bit for everything for this movie, give props, it's really good.

6.Sky High

One if not the best Superhero movie outside of Marvel or DC.

5.Pirates of the Caribbean

One, or probably the best movie about pirates I've ever seen.

4.Beauty and the Beast.

Just...Beautiful...

3.The Jungle Book

While still being nothing like the book, it manages to stay smooth to a great story, with great characters, smooth villain, catchy songs and everything naturalistic giving atmosphere to the movie.

2.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

This is STILL the most beautiful movie I have ever seen, in every way possible, visually and in story-telling. It doesn't need very precise or very developed, everything works perfectly because it feels like a fairy tale come to life. Marvelous film.

1. The Lion King

THIS.IS.A.FRIGGIN.MASTERPIECE.

There hasn't been any animated movie like this.

The story, the characters, the music, the songs, the villain, the enviroments, the cult-following, the box-office success, the atmosphere, the morals, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.

And this is my list without including sequels. Or Pixar movies. Or CGI Disney movies.

Hey, guys, we've got to keep this thread active :P
What's everyone's favourite Disney song? Mine is Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid.

Mine, the Circle of Life from The Lion King and Heigh Ho from Snow White.

• Brohoof 1