Why does everyone have to swear all the time?

Alicorn Fluttershy

I agree, Star-Lord. I mean, it's their choice, but it's really stilted when someone tries to replace curses with less taboo words. It disrupts the conversation and it personally makes me raise a brow. It's just doesn't fit for the occasion, so it bugs me.

Honestly...people in this culture that are oh so offended by these words really need to get over this. This society acts like it's all tough but when someone says a friggin word that is considered a 'swear word', even if it is not in a hostile context whatsoever, people freak out and get offended as if you told it to them directly. Words are words, any word can be bad if it is in the right context. That's what matters, context. How the words are used.

Take for example:

"Damn it!"

Compared to;

"Damn you!"

See the difference? One is in a totally different context than the other, one is attacking someone. I could easily replace the word "damn" with "screw" as in "Screw you!" yet screw is not considered a curse word so to speak, but it is the CONTEXT that offends people on that case.

So if someone comes up to you and insults you with a swear word, yeah, be offended, but if they just use a word like that in casual speak or whatever, then what does it matter?

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand why people have problems with swearing. The only words I have a problem with are words that are offensive, you'know like racist and homophobic ones. Words like shit and fuck don't bother me. and sometimes words that aren't "swears" can be just as offensive as "swears".

• Brohoof 1

I really don't swear at all unless I am very VERY upset, I rally don't understand why some people have to swear every other word they say. Swearing used to be something that would get you popped in your mouth my your mom, but now its just completely accepted. I'm 16 and I know that if I swore accessivly my mom would still pop me in my mouth. It really makes no sence to me but if some people really feel they need to swear then its whatever by me. I know that when I have kids they won't be swearing AT ALL. They will find that out I'll tell you that.

I think I win.

http://youtu.be/Dd7dQh8u4Hc

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I win.

Nope. Biased, in your face, opinions don't win. The thing is, swearing isn't all black and white as religion wants you to think, let alone closed minded people. If your refuse to swear, your refusing to admitting to your true emotions inside yourself. You can sit behind the oppressive rule of those who shake their fingers at people for swearing if you want but preaching that swearing is bad and evil is like saying that moral code itself is bad and evil. Oh wait, I got a phone call from someone... mhm... oh yes of course... so do you know who I was talking to on the phone? It was none other than Free Will! That is the problem with society, people choose to follow status quo then just forming their opinions about issues and topics.

So in the question of you being right. No, no your not.

Nope. Biased, in your face, opinions don't win. The thing is, swearing isn't all black and white as religion wants you to think, let alone closed minded people. If your refuse to swear, your refusing to admitting to your true emotions inside yourself. You can sit behind the oppressive rule of those who shake their fingers at people for swearing if you want but preaching that swearing is bad and evil is like saying that moral code itself is bad and evil. Oh wait, I got a phone call from someone... mhm... oh yes of course... so do you know who I was talking to on the phone? It was none other than Free Will! That is the problem with society, people choose to follow status quo then just forming their opinions about issues and topics.

Okay, first, the grammatical errors in your post are simply appalling, and are worse than actual cursing to me.

Second, this video contains no opinions on swearing. Michael simply states facts, studies, and historical importance leading to the modern-day cursing. He does not go to religion to explain why you should not swear.

I feel that you did not even watch the video.

Please, in the future, form your counter-opinion much more properly.

Okay, first, the grammatical errors in your post are simply appalling, and are worse than actual cursing to me.

Second, this video contains no opinions on swearing. Michael simply states facts, studies, and historical importance leading to the modern-day cursing. He does not go to religion to explain why you should not swear.

I feel that you did not even watch the video.

Please, in the future, form your counter-opinion much more properly.

Okay I get I may of been quick to respond to the topic but grammar nazi much? No one is a perfectionist.

Okay I get I may of been quick to respond to the topic but grammar nazi much? No one is a perfectionist.

It's not being a grammar nazi when the amount of 'your's instead of 'you're's are excessive.

So you are saying that if I don't swear I can't show my true emotions? Well I can show my true emotions without cursing or swearing. So you people are limited showing your emotions only via curses or swears? I think you people should find other ways to express yourselves. Maybe you are cursing because you want to sound tough maybe you are afraid to cry.  I mean you can curse if u want there is nothing wrong with it but you may reflect the wrong image from yourself. I personally find that people who use curses don't cry or show as much soft emotions as people who don't curse.

It's not being a grammar nazi when the amount of 'your's instead of 'you're's are excessive.

Well the way you approached mentioning it to me was like that of a grammar nazi. As I said I was quick to to respond to the topic and it often happens when I type fast. I tend to make errors here and there, everybody does.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

MLPF does not issue or require the Chicago Manual of Style to post here. Come to think of it, the CMS actually addresses swearing so it's grammatically canonical.

Hmm. I think I win now. :D

So you are saying that if I don't swear I can't show my true emotions? Well I can show my true emotions without cursing or swearing. So you people are limited showing your emotions only via curses or swears? I think you people should find other ways to express yourselves. Maybe you are cursing because you want to sound tough maybe you are afraid to cry.  I mean you can curse if u want there is nothing wrong with it but you may reflect the wrong image from yourself. I personally find that people who use curses don't cry or show as much soft emotions as people who don't curse.

Well, I could of explained that better. I was in a rush to type a post so it ended up sounding a but off. Again, apologies to anyone else that is somehow appalled by my rant wall of anger.

As for what I ment, cursing can be used to vent negative emotions. I wasn't saying you have no emotion if you don't curse. It's just a matter of opinion I guess. Anyway, I'm going to stop now before my mind goes for another loop. God I need a good cold tea right now...

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer