Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nopony has been out of character, period

Buck Testa

Many people and reviewers alike believe that some writers do not know how to characterize members of the mane six and throw around buzz words like "flanderization" and "mary sue." I am here to say they are just plain wrong on a number of levels.

First; Just because you do not like how a character acted in a certain episode does not mean that they were written wrong. Fluttershy was not out of character in putting your hoof down, she was revealing another aspect OF her character. Pinkie was not out of character in season four, there are just times when she is lost in her own noggin and banging her head inside a bell. This does not take away from their character, but shows more about them. People and pony alike are allowed to express a wide variety of feelings and behavior whether you like it or not.

Second, look to fanfiction if you want to see REAL flanderization. Most fanfic writers including myself at times do not fully grasp a character, and the end result is horrid. By only using the superficial surface elements of a characters personality you are doing the equivalent of trying to replicate a dish by only using the ingredients you think you can identify. The end result is nothing like the food you tried to mimic. If you write off episodes and scenes you do not like this will keep happening.

third, they are paid to know the characters. Whether you like some of the scenes or not, the writers will know the characters in ways you will not be able too because they work with them on a professional level. Trust that they know what they are doing.

Do you think I am wrong? Do you agree that the idea that the writing staff not knowing how to write a character is flawed thinking?

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 6

I agree that people don't understand how characters are written and at other times, there seems to be genuine concern. I do see times that an aspect of a character's personality is "stripped" in a way and isolated which leads to it being inflated until it's out of proportion. Pinkie Pie's spontaneity and innocence has turned into something different which takes her clearly out of the overall picture. I at least feel that the show writers know the characters more but they weren't very successful in the writing for Equestria Girls so fans should question what is being created and if it makes genuine sense.

• Brohoof 2

There have been some things here and there that did feel a little out of character. But that's understandable. People are complicated and trying to keep developing characterization across many writers consistent is a challenge at best and nightmarish at worst.

I think though, more or less, they've managed to keep the Mane Six pretty consistent.

• Brohoof 1

No one understands there characters like applejack. She is overprotective of applebloom that is cannon it was in Bridle Gossip but her being overprotective in Somepony to watch over me was bad writing. And they go farter and say that episode was out of character as well if a character consitantly does something it is in character. And bronies all so say the character are better written in the comics than in the show no there are not if the comics don't match the show than the comics are wrong not the show  

• Brohoof 1

Some people have their own perceptions over how someone should act, usually in line with their own thinking and how they themselves would act in a particular situation. They don't consider that actions and words spoken in the show are more often than not driven entirely by where the writers need the story to go, or they have an insight into the characters that is beyond our understanding as an outside observer, both as writers and animators. When Stuby was commenting about the drama surrounding Pinkie in Filly Vanilli, his response was that it was funny because it's Andrea talking to herself. He didn't see it from some nutter's position that Pinkie was somehow being mean, nor should he because then you have AKR clearing everything up by saying that Pinkie was voicing Fluttershy's own internal thoughts and fears. 

I wish some fans would give the creators a bit more respect and latitude when it comes to what the characters say, and their intent. 

couple more things. It should be a credit to the show that viewers are able to vicariously live through the characters so well, that they feel they know how a character should act. It's just unfortunate that it sometimes blinds some fans to all objectivity.

Also, if you feel Pinkie has become too shrieky, that's something that falls on Andrea Libman's delivery, and the acceptance of voice director Terry Klassen. Unfortunately, the popular thing to do is to always blame McCarthy. I guess I can agree that there are times that Shriekie Pie needed to be toned down, but Andrea is an unbelievably good voice actress, and Klassen a voice director, so I guess they can be forgiven if not 100% of their work meets my oh-so-important approval. 

• Brohoof 3

I have on many occasions used the term that art is usually (and should be) a collaborative process. By defining to others what a character is and isn't, what the character should or should not be, is an artistic anathema. For art to be collaborative it must allow for multiple interpretations. None of these are incorrect. Let me hit closer to home - if someone says that Rarity is greedy - I will disagree with much energy. However through their own personal filter and interpretation, how can they be wrong? If another says that Pinkie was out of character, I will personally disagree and explain my position. However, my position - no matter how cogent I make it - is not the only correct answer on how to look at a character. This is why the great works of art are still debated many years after the artist can no longer divulge his or her intent. Which brings me to by next point.

Authorial intent is great at understanding how and why a theme, action, or bit of prose come to find it self in a story. Guess what, it is a weak substitute for the audiences own imagination and personal experience adding depth or seeing its flaws. If all we had was authorial intent, why is the general question after listening to a new piece of Classical music the following, "What did you feel?" It never names the emotion does it. NO. Guess what guys, the author is not God of the universe he or she creates ... you are. That is how it should be.

If you say character x was OOC, and I say, "No. I believe character x was completely within the realm of saying that", congrats on both of us being 100% correct. Rarely happens.

1) Audience owns the art in their own imagination. Infinite possibilities.

2) Audience > Author

So yes, characters can be out of character. Happens all the time. Happens in FiM. :D

• Brohoof 2

My simole take on this is that it's their show, and a character can not be out of character according to the fans, only the WRITERS who MADE the characters are the judge of whether they are in, or out of character.

See my post directly above yours. 

Also, this

• Brohoof 2

Some people have their own perceptions over how someone should act, usually in line with their own thinking and how they themselves would act in a particular situation. They don't consider that actions and words spoken in the show are more often than not driven entirely by where the writers need the story to go, or they have an insight into the characters that is beyond our understanding as an outside observer, both as writers and animators. When Stuby was commenting about the drama surrounding Pinkie in Filly Vanilli, his response was that it was funny because it's Andrea talking to herself. He didn't see it from some nutter's position that Pinkie was somehow being mean, nor should he because then you have AKR clearing everything up by saying that Pinkie was voicing Fluttershy's own internal thoughts and fears. 

I wish some fans would give the creators a bit more respect and latitude when it comes to what the characters say, and their intent. 

Just thinking about the verbal abuse on Twitter that Amy Keating Rogers got for Filli Vanili still makes me sick. :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 5

The term "OOC" and "Mary Sue" seem to be buzzwords thrown around the fandom lately used to critique a character. There are times when I don't like how a character acts but it's still a trait of them. I could say, not like how that trait was presented but I wouldn't say OOC. Though this fandom seems to get the most angry whenever a characters acts how they say is OOC. You all know what happened to Amy Keating Rogers after Filli Vanilli aired? Yeah.

• Brohoof 2

Whether they can or not (not going to get into this and goat more responses from you, Jeric ;3) people bitch about it way more than they need to, even by this fandom's standards of bitching about things, which is a lot. In four seasons, I've only been bothered three times by characters' portrayals, the top one being Spitfire and Fleetfoot's pointless villanization in Rainbow Falls. But even in those three instances, I didn't have such a chip on my shoulder about it to go whining and ranting from then on every time it became relevant to do so, or making twenty-minute long anaylsis videos or topics about it.

I don't see the point; the characters aren't at fault, the writers are. I'll sooner pass it off as bad writing and just move on.

• Brohoof 3

Just thinking about the verbal abuse on Twitter that Amy Keating Rogers got for Filli Vanili still makes me sick. :okiedokielokie:

Oh that was freaking garbage! No Author should ever need to deal with that hate. Passion is one thing, but damn it man ... criticize politely ... not threaten.

• Brohoof 5

I have on many occasions used the term that art is usually (and should be) a collaborative process. By defining to others what a character is and isn't, what the character should or should not be, is an artistic anathema. For art to be collaborative it must allow for multiple interpretations. None of these are incorrect. Let me hit closer to home - if someone says that Rarity is greedy - I will disagree with much energy. However through their own personal filter and interpretation, how can they be wrong? If another says that Pinkie was out of character, I will personally disagree and explain my position. However, my position - no matter how cogent I make it - is not the only correct answer on how to look at a character. This is why the great works of art are still debated many years after the artist can no longer divulge his or her intent. Which brings me to by next point.

Authorial intent is great at understanding how and why a theme, action, or bit of prose come to find it self in a story. Guess what, it is a weak substitute for the audiences own imagination and personal experience adding depth or seeing its flaws. If all we had was authorial intent, why is the general question after listening to a new piece of Classical music the following, "What did you feel?" It never names the emotion does it. NO. Guess what guys, the author is not God of the universe he or she creates ... you are. That is how it should be.

If you say character x was OOC, and I say, "No. I believe character x was completely within the realm of saying that", congrats on both of us being 100% correct. Rarely happens.

1) Audience owns the art in their own imagination. Infinite possibilities.

2) Audience > Author

So yes, characters can be out of character. Happens all the time. Happens in FiM. :D

While I agree on some of your points and the vid you posted they are not quite the same as what is going on in this fandom.

There is a difference between reading into fiction and coming up your own derivative interpretations and holding onto the delusion that a writer has sullied a character by not pandering to their viewpoint is therefore unfit to write for fim.

There has to be a point when you have to take off the colored lenses of your head canon and see the story the way the author intends you to see it. I love to write fanfiction and head canons and there are times when the story takes a turn I did not expect, and that is okay. What is not okay is verbally accosting the writers because they took the story in said direction because "you flanderized the character" or "you turned twilight into a mary sue!"

I am pointing out that the writers know what they are doing and they have made dynamic characters if you are willing to look at the whole picture and not nitpick (and make threats ) for everything you do not like.

• Brohoof 2