Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Site Running Slowly

Shadowking58

the site acts like that because of the thousands of other members online at once the more people connected to the site the slower it runs there has been some moments where the site is just completely down for me and I have to find other things to do to kill time

• Brohoof 1

In most cases a simple refresh or one minute wait on either a timeout or server reset will resolve it. That is the first I have heard that the site was inaccessible. Can you elaborate please?

I have had this happen once where I would type the websites URL and I would be greeted with the 504 even when I searched on Google it still timed out I couldn't access the forums for the entire day but that has only happened to me once. Other then that I have had a few threads go down I simply ignore that and move on to the next one and I have had one where I was making a thread and the moment I posted it I got the 504 and lost the entire thread

• Brohoof 1

In most cases a simple refresh or one minute wait on either a timeout or server reset will resolve it. That is the first I have heard that the site was inaccessible. Can you elaborate please?

I don't know if he will elaborate soon, but while he doesn't, I will,  for I have been having the very same issue.

Sometimes when I try to access the forums, it just says the page doesn't exist, if I try to do it from my tablet mainly, but it happened on the computer before, and doesn't say what kind of error is occurring, it just goes blank

and usually it takes some time for it to start working again for me

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if he will elaborate soon, but while he doesn't, I will, for I have been having the very same issue.

Sometimes when I try to access the forums, it just says the page doesn't exist, if I try to do it from my tablet mainly, but it happened on the computer before, and doesn't say what kind of error is occurring, it just goes blank

and usually it takes some time for it to start working again for me

By any chance are you using iOS and OSX?

I have had this happen once where I would type the websites URL and I would be greeted with the 504 even when I searched on Google it still timed out I couldn't access the forums for the entire day but that has only happened to me once. Other then that I have had a few threads go down I simply ignore that and move on to the next one and I have had one where I was making a thread and the moment I posted it I got the 504 and lost the entire thread

Hmm ... I do know that there were times - particularly early when it first started - that that was an issue. I know one thing I noticed you need to avoid when replying and creating is to not close out the tab. Let it hang and just open a new one. Most of the time it goes straight to the database even though it doesn't look like the post saved. It you close the tab though - it won't always save

• Brohoof 3

By any chance are you using iOS and OSX?

Hmm ... I do know that there were times - particularly early when it first started - that that was an issue. I know one thing I noticed you need to avoid when replying and creating is to not close out the tab. Let it hang and just open a new one. Most of the time it goes straight to the database even though it doesn't look like the post saved. It you close the tab though - it won't always save

thanks for the advice I will test it next time 504 shows his ugly face

also what I found pretty funny is 504 said hello when I came here to type this

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if this is really relevant or not, but I notice that accessing things like statuses, blogs, and profiles all seem to be working fine with no signs of a slowdown. It's just the actual forum topics that seem to be running slow for me.

• Brohoof 3

Thank you for the explanation @SCS. It has gotten better since last week, all I need to do is refresh and the page will load properly. I am sure it hiccups more during more active times for most users. However, I am wondering, having only 2 (busy) people keeping up a forum with thousands of active users must be overwhelming. Have you thought about getting 1 or 2 more IT people?

• Brohoof 4

Yes for both, I'm using iOS 8 right now, it hasn't happened since the update, and yes to the OSX as well.

Is that the reason I was having this issue occasionally?

No, buy it does explain why your screen is blank when getting a 504 on the tablet. I was hoping you would say that you use iOS because it makes sense. Safari on iOS7 and iOS8 will display a blank screen for many server responses like a 504 (or lack of a response in that case). Actually, it it lags on your tablet ... sometimes just hitting home to return to the iOS home screen, waiting 10 seconds, and then relaunching Safari will pull up with you already on the page you are trying to access. Note this is purely anecdotal as I haven't measured the effectiveness of this yet. :P

I rarely browse MLP Forums on OSX since that is purely a work machine and I have to keep it 100% business on it, but I can easily replicate a 504 on it and see if I get the same specific error. I'm almost positive I will though.

Basically, all of these are tied to the same thing, but each browser will relay the problem to you differently.

• Brohoof 3

Running blessedly great for me ma'am :D

Status Update: As you have already noticed, the 504 errors have not occurred today, and the site is in line with its expected response time. The issue was diagnosed and Feld0 made the necessary adjustments very early this morning and ran several stress tests. We all appreciate you dealing with the annoyance with calmness and patience during this. I will go ahead and leave this thread open for another day in case you re-experience the 504's again.

Fillies and Gentlecolts, this situation is here forth considered resolved. :D

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have confirmed the issue and were able to resolve it quickly. We will be marking this as closed.