technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

My build has a gold-rated supply. More efficient power than a bronze-rated one. Also, that supply's power output is over-rated by 100W (it's only capable of outputting 450W, not 550W) and uses Chinese-built caps rather than Japanese caps, which are nowhere near as durable. Also, the case does not have front-panel USB 3.0 ports. I'd rather my own build, not because it was designed by me, but because it has a better power supply, APU and includes the OS.

I calculated the efficiency and turns out an 80+ bronze 550 is still going to yield better power output than a 450 80+ gold also the difference between these two apu's isn't big enough to effect performance also my power supply is cheaper and allows more expansion for the future not to mention that the mother board I choose will allow crossfire.

Edited by Simcity11100

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

okay guys i'm getting a 2 year old Cooler master tower for free~! lol it needs a new motherboard/RAM and CPU (the old one was fried) what CPU/mobo combo do you think for it.

seeing as i'm getting it 80% finished i'm thinking of 16gb of DDR4 *ripjaw*and a 5960X 

thoughts complates alts like a 4790K or 2 4790K's  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :squee:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

there are 2 gpu in it already but i'll most likely get one 980 and as a backup a 970 or cheaper 

*yes i plain on overclocking to 4.5 60% of the time* as a stable level 

Edited by Jora

I don't think you can buy a dual-socket LGA1150 board?

I calculated the efficiency and turns out an 80+ bronze 550 is still going to yield better power output than a 450 80+ gold also the difference between these two apu's isn't big enough to effect performance also my power supply is cheaper and allows more expansion for the future not to mention that the mother board I choose will allow crossfire.

Interesting.

Yeah, the only dual socket motherboards are lga 1366 or lga 2011 motherboards meaning they only support xeon's.

Ops, don't know where lga 1135 came from.

Edited by Simcity11100

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

Yeah, the only dual socket motherboards are lga 1135 or lga 2011 motherboards meaning they only support xeon's.

There are also LGA1366 and LGA2011 Core i7s, but I don't think I've ever heard of a dual i7 setup.

There are also LGA1366 and LGA2011 Core i7s, but I don't think I've ever heard of a dual i7 setup.

They don't exist, the i7 ones are only single socket, I think it's probably because the i7 doesn't support dual cpus or something.

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

They don't exist, the i7 ones are only single socket, I think it's probably because the i7 doesn't support dual cpus or something.

They use the same chipset afaik, X79 (or now X99).

They use the same chipset afaik, X79 (or now X99).

That's a kind of motherboard, but those only have 1 cpu slot, I'm talking about server motherboards and stuff since their like the only ones I've seen with 2 cpu slots or more on them.

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

Heads up, really cool bundle up on BS for only $2.50:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/resurrection-bundle/

• Brohoof 1

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

where there is a will there is a way and i'll find a way Kappa.

You could always go for the Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL, which allows for a dual MicroATX/MiniITX build, although those are two separate PCs.

If he wants to go SMP, no choice but to go with a workstation/server platform at this point in time.

okay guys i'm getting a 2 year old Cooler master tower for free~! lol it needs a new motherboard/RAM and CPU (the old one was fried) what CPU/mobo combo do you think for it.

seeing as i'm getting it 80% finished i'm thinking of 16gb of DDR4 *ripjaw*and a 5960X

thoughts complates alts like a 4790K or 2 4790K's :ph34r::ph34r::squee::ph34r::ph34r:

there are 2 gpu in it already but i'll most likely get one 980 and as a backup a 970 or cheaper

*yes i plain on overclocking to 4.5 60% of the time* as a stable level

If you are interested in dual 4790s, why not a single 5960X? It is an unlocked eight-core CPU about equivalent with the Xeon E5-1680v3 albeit without ECC and at a significant cost savings.

Quick question, what the hell is a GTX-745?

The Alienware PCs Wal-Mart now sells has them and I could barely pull anything up on Google. 

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

The Alienware PCs Wal-Mart now sells has them and I could barely pull anything up on Google.

It is an OEM-only card similar in performance to a 750 non-Ti.

Probably the equivalent to a 7500 r7 240 from amd or something

Wow, can't think properly while doing art lol

Edited by Simcity11100

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

It is an OEM-only card similar in performance to a 750 non-Ti.

So I'm guessing it's not that good then(because I'm assuming it has only 1GB of VRAM)

-Duncan McLeod.

So I'm guessing it's not that good then(because I'm assuming it has only 1GB of VRAM)

It's not a terrible card and is probably well matched with a gig, but nothing too impressive, no.

that is true i have thought of getting a 5960X and i'm leaning about 70% in its favor

Two 4790s in the same system/board is an impossibility so if you need/want eight cores and can do without ECC memory, it's your best bet.

Well that amount of vram will probably be good for 720p gaming.

TheMoon_banner4_sm.jpg

I don't see how people can say that consoles are objectively better than PCs, when the opposite is clearly the case. Better graphics, better controls, a wider selection of games, and not having to be tied down by one company or one digital storefront. PCs are just OBJECTIVELY better.

"For every loud and idiotic kid in front of a computer, there's a quiet and passionate kid in front of a computer."

--Einstein on Video Games,2014

I don't see how people can say that consoles are objectively better than PCs, when the opposite is clearly the case. Better graphics, better controls, a wider selection of games, and not having to be tied down by one company or one digital storefront. PCs are just OBJECTIVELY better.

Consoles are good for people that just want to game quick, easy, and somewhat cheaply. 

There's also console exclusives to consider. 

-Duncan McLeod.