technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Okay, after reinstalling a processor of mine in my old eMachine, I get this...

-------------------------

Award Bootblock Bios V1.0

Copyright © 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media ...

Drive A error. System halt

------------------------

Followed by a nonstop steady ring of beeps. Now this processor I installed worked just fine before, even without having to reset/flash the Bios, but now it does this and hangs, I can't even access the Bios setup or anything. However, if I install my old puny one, the computer boots without problem.

I am at a loss at what to do as there are no solutions online, I am turning to you guys. I don't want to stick with the old puny processor, as it does not fulfill my needs; I just want to know is there anything possibly wrong with the stronger one?

It'd be a good idea to identify the beep code so you can begin troubleshooting. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/award-beep-codes.htm

It'd be a good idea to identify the beep code so you can begin troubleshooting. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/award-beep-codes.htm

I can't imagine why the CPU would be overheating, it's using the same fan and said fan is still functioning properly while snugly attached with a adequate amount of thermal paste.

Would this overheating be related to the Bios error I am receiving?

I can't imagine why the CPU would be overheating, it's using the same fan and said fan is still functioning properly while snugly attached with a adequate amount of thermal paste.

Would this overheating be related to the Bios error I am receiving?

I'm guessing you don't actually have a floppy drive installed.

Can you try reseating the memory? If that doesn't work, try clearing the CMOS with the motherboard jumper pin.

I'm guessing you don't actually have a floppy drive installed.

Can you try reseating the memory? If that doesn't work, try clearing the CMOS with the motherboard jumper pin.

I do not.

I tried both, no luck. Maybe there's something wrong with the CPU itself?

Remember how the Dreamcast did horrible because people distrusted Sega after how fast and violently they dropped the Saturn for the Dreamcast. even going as far calling it a "stillborn console" that they regret releasing in the first place?

I wonder if the PS5 is going to be Sony's reenactment of that.

What makes it sadder is that the Dreamcast is Sega's best console. I'll hate the PS5 for not being a gaming console, however.

Biscuit.

I do not.

I tried both, no luck. Maybe there's something wrong with the CPU itself?

Possible. Assuming your heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU and the old one works just fine, the other thing I'd check for is the possibility of any bent pins on the CPU itself. Barring that, it might just be a bad chip -- more and more likely since you have another CPU that works in the same machine.

Possible. Assuming your heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU and the old one works just fine, the other thing I'd check for is the possibility of any bent pins on the CPU itself. Barring that, it might just be a bad chip -- more and more likely since you have another CPU that works in the same machine.

You're probably right about the first part, I appreciate the help a lot.

• Brohoof 1

What makes it sadder is that the Dreamcast is Sega's best console. I'll hate the PS5 for not being a gaming console, however.

The Dreamcast is awesome, I recently picked one up for my collection cheap (System, Cords, Two Gamepads, a VMU Unit, and three games for around $30) but I sadly haven't come across anymore games for it aside from a disc-only copy of Crazy Taxi that was tucked in with some computer games in a junk-shop.

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

The Dreamcast is awesome, I recently picked one up for my collection cheap (System, Cords, Two Gamepads, a VMU Unit, and three games for around $30) but I sadly haven't come across anymore games for it aside from a disc-only copy of Crazy Taxi that was tucked in with some computer games in a junk-shop.

I was going to get one, but decided not to. Picked up some good games after that. I'll be saving up for one now along with SHENMUE

Biscuit.

I was going to get one, but decided not to. Picked up some good games after that. I'll be saving up for one now along with SHENMUE

I only four:

Rainbow Six

MMA

Guts: Sword of the Berserk

Crazy Taxi.

Kicking myself because I saw games EVERYWHERE for good prices before I found an actual system, but they all went *POOF* the minute I had one in my hands.

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

I only four:

Rainbow Six

MMA

Guts: Sword of the Berserk

Crazy Taxi.

Kicking myself because I saw games EVERYWHERE for good prices before I found an actual system, but they all went *POOF* the minute I had one in my hands.

HAH. Shenmue's the main reason I'm buying it

Biscuit.

HAH. Shenmue's the main reason I'm buying it

There's a few things I have my eye with it.

Mainly the Sonic Adventure games some of the obscure horror stuff on it like the licensed game based loosely on The Ring. 

-Duncan McLeod.

Fun fact about the Xbox: the prototype was built out of Dell laptops in 1998 by four Microsoft DirectX engineers, Kevin Bachus, Seamus Blackley, Ted Hase and Otto Berkes, then presented to Ed Fries, the leader of Microsoft's game publishing business at the time, as the "DirectX Box", as a pitch for a Windows-based, DirectX-based games console. By the time it got to Bill Gates, its name was shortened to simply the Xbox.

That is why it uses a lot of standard PC parts; if you look at the motherboard you can even see the CPU is a straight-up Pentium III, even.

"$10???? Holy shi-

TzH6I03.png

YJ093lo.png

Oh..."

Well, back to looking...

Problem is people gouge for this stuff on eBay due to the resurgence of interest in vintage computing. Pick it up cheap or free and flip it for hundreds. Same thing that happened to mechanical keyboards which could be found for a couple bucks at a Goodwill.

Assuming your local thrift stores aren't just full of old clothes like the ones around here are, you might get lucky and find something like that for virtually nothing.

"$10???? Holy shi-

TzH6I03.png

YJ093lo.png

Oh..."

Well, back to looking...

"Being sold for parts/repair."

Sometimes, people just don't know what is wrong with their items when they sell them. I purchased a good vehicle from someone who thought the thing was done for. You're really tech savvy, you could probably fix it. To me, I'd say it'll be worth it spending the fifty dollars.

You may never know when something like it will pop up again, there are plenty of people who are looking for this old stuff.

"Being sold for parts/repair."

Sometimes, people just don't know what is wrong with their items when they sell them. I purchased a good vehicle from someone who thought the thing was done for. You're really tech savvy, you could probably fix it. To me, I'd say it'll be worth it spending the fifty dollars.

You may never know when something like it will pop up again, there are plenty of people who are looking for this old stuff.

To be honest, I'm not as familiar with laptop hardware as I am with desktop hardware. Which is odd as laptops were my daily driver devices for five years.