Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ableton 8 Tips

Stallionslaughter

To any recording bronies, the fact that I RCA out into the headphone jack of my computer to record guitars, drums, and vocals is seriously laughable. The fact that I was able to create anything worthwhile with that set-up has amazed even myself, but I was recording on an extremely tight budget and that was the cheapest way to do it.

I just bought a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface and Ableton 8. I have been mastering my music in Fruity Loops 8 for years, and I was wondering if I could get some tips from fellow Ableton users. I fear change, but fruity loops for metal mastering was proving to be difficult and always left me dissatisfied.

I've read tutorials and watched youtube videos, but they invariably use colloquial terms that end up just confusing me. Does anypony have any tips that will expedite my recording experience?

(Attached is a deathcore song that was recorded, mixed, mastered in Fruity Loops 8 through the headphone jack of my PC.)

What does this sound like..mp3

The Scarlett 2i2 is an excellent pro-audio interface, although Ableton 8 is a little dated as 9 has been out for a while and Ableton is public beta-testing 9.2 now, if I recall. Good stuff though.

There's nothing necessarily wrong or bad about using your PC headphone jack, as long as the headphones you were using have a relatively flat frequency response. You get in trouble when you master your music to sound good in your headphones and then it ends up sounding weird coming out of anything else.