Arctofire

Has MLP Gone Downhill Over The Years  

113 users have voted

1. 1. Has MLP Gone Downhill Over The Years

• No, it's stayed the same
    • No, it's got better
    • Yes, a little bit
    • Yes, by miles

It's kind of a rollercoaster. Seasons 3 through 5 showed a consistent decline in quality, with 3 being short and ending poorly, 4 not progressing the show a whole lot, and 5 often taking itself too seriously and reaching farther than it's capable of. I found season 6 surprisingly entertaining in comparison, but season 7 is not so good anymore, so we're back to where we were pre-season 6, which is very frustrating to me. I'm not sure how much I'd call season 7 stale though, because it does seem to be consistently trying to push the show forward... I'm just not sure how I feel about its direction. 

No way! MLP has been going UPHILL since its inception! :o

G1 - awful voice acting, bad writing, annoying villains, stupid barbie/ ken wannabie humans throwing their weight around overshadowing the ponies >.< (although, I'll admit I like the more "fantasy" inspired setting)

G2 - better writing for character interactions but extremely stupid plotlines with an "Idk my BBF Jill" kinda vibe (if thats not too abstract for ya'll o,o)

G3 - braindead writing, but very VERY heartwarming plotlines and character interactions. awesome show for escapism~

G3.5 - moving towards G4's style of more "mature" narratives, more relatable roster of characters, but with very lackluster animation

G3.5 Newborn Cuties - https://youtu.be/H07zYvkNYL8?t=2s

G4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MC0G-Lbuuk  - Awesome witty writing never before seen in MLP. Great fluidity in character interactions and just a general feeling of genuineness and chemistry between characters. Awesome Voice acting awesome songs, just plain AWESOME

Season to season G4 progression (in my personal opinion):

1488404293796.png

I dunno, it has had it's up and downs over the years.

I feel like it gradually improved from seasons 1-4, with season 4 being my favorite season, with 5 not being all that far behind as a second.

But I feel like season 6 was a letdown from season 5, but now I feel like season 7 is an improvement over season 6, so who knows at this point?

(edited)

Looking back on season one I feel a lot of nostalgia.. but in my opinion it's not as good as the new stuff, although it's still pretty great. I just have a sort of vendetta against some topics touched on in season 1. I personally didn't really enjoy the episode with the whole settlers vs native americans. I feel this topic was far far too sensitive to be in a children's show. I get the message of the episode and definitely agree with it but I feel as though they could have portrayed that message with a different, not so personal and sensitive topic (especially to me being an aboriginal and growing up on the reserves. That time in history was brutal, horrific, and my family is still effected by this in regards to having living relatives who've been in residential schools. It's not really that distant of history.. and just.. felt wrong to see something that was based on genocide be re-enacted by cartoon pastel ponies..) but that's a personal thing for me and the main reason why season 1 is iffy. I'm glad they started to steer away from real heavy world issues like that as the series went on. Also I enjoy Alicorn Twilight and I feel it adds a lot more to the story for me. The way the writers keep even the background ponies consistent throughout the seasons makes me super happy too, as the characters are really my absolute favorite part of the show, as I'd think most people feel. 

Edited by Psychic Shimmer