Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Rainbow Dash be a bad influence on children?

SteveMorison

Good role model for kids? I think not...

Are colourful ponies trying to be role models for kids? Surely people should stop relying on TV to be showing role models for their children and do it themselves.

(@Asbel Lhant not ranting at your post, I just wanted to quote it to begin this reply)

I have to say yes. In episode 1 she almost leaves her friends for a group of complete strangers who she doesn't even know...Seriously, who does that? The Element of Loyalty my ass...And she's also whiny and selfish and conceited. Good role model for kids? I think not...

You are grasping at straws in a way I have never seen anyone do before.

Rainbow Dash did not even come close to choosing the Shadowbolts over her friends. She immediately said no. She nearly threw away her dream of being a Wonderbolt in WA be cause her friends were more important to her. She saved countless lives, taught Scootaloo that she was awesome for who she was, not because she needed to fly.

You're really going to let a few trivial negative qualities overshadow far more important virtues that she shows?

• Brohoof 5

Nope. Kids know that she's super obnoxious and unlikable an that they should never ever act anything like her.

This is something I absolutely must emphasize. Rainbow has her faults, but that doesn't mean the other Mane Six don't. Fluttershy has, in one episode, outright insulted two of her friends' reasons for living; wouldn't she be a better candidate for arguing about whether or not a character is a bad influence on children? What of the fact that Twilight's response to deadlines is clearly incredibly unhealthy, or the emotional manipulation that Rarity has pulled on multiple ponies to get what she wants, something that we would not want children to emulate?

Rainbow is not any worse or better than the other ponies in the show. If someone is to say she's a bad influence, then all of them are.

Rainbow Dash has way more negative traits than any other character and I'd go as far as to say that there's absolutely nothing good about her.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

You are grasping at straws in a way I have never seen anyone do before.

Rainbow Dash did not even come close to choosing the Shadowbolts over her friends. She immediately said no. She nearly threw away her dream of being a Wonderbolt in WA be cause her friends were more important to her. She saved countless lives, taught Scootaloo that she was awesome for who she was, not because she needed to fly.

You're really going to let a few trivial negative qualities overshadow far more important virtues that she shows?

When did she save lives exactly? I don't think I remember that.

Well, she saved her friends for starters in Wonderbolts Academy, and she helps save the world every premier/finale, she save Rarity and the Wonderbolts in Sonic Rainboom, Scootaloo in Sleepless in Ponyville...

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

Sonic Rainboom (saved your favorite pony and the wonderbolts)

Mare Do Well (even if she was being arrogant, she saved a lot of ponies)

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Daring Don't

Rainbow Falls (saved Soarin' for the millionth time)

Testing Testing 1,2,3 (saved Twilight from getting chopped up in helicopter blades)

All the times she's protected Fluttershy (changeling battle, power ponies)

Do you even watch the show? How the hell do you miss all that. That's WAY more good than bad.

Nope. Kids know that she's super obnoxious and unlikable an that they should never ever act anything like her.

Rainbow Dash has way more negative traits than any other character and I'd go as far as to say that there's absolutely nothing good about her.

Then you really aren't paying attention. 

• Brohoof 2

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Daring Don't

Testing Testing 1,2,3 (saved Twilight from getting chopped up in helicopter blades)

Do you even watch the show? How the hell do you miss all that. That's WAY more good than bad.

She only saved people so she could brag about it and she's been solely responsible for putting people's lives at risk numerous times. Doesn't make her a great person.

• Brohoof 1

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Daring Don't

Then you really aren't paying attention. 

Haven't seen the earlier seasons in awhile...Sue me... >_>

I have to say yes. In episode 1 she almost leaves her friends for a group of complete strangers who she doesn't even know...Seriously, who does that? The Element of Loyalty my ass...And she's also whiny and selfish and conceited. Good role model for kids? I think not...

But

At this point, arguably all of them but Fluttershy could also have been "a group of complete strangers who she doesn't even know".

She only saved people so she could brag about it and she's been solely responsible for putting people's lives at risk numerous times. Doesn't make her a great person.

Indeed. Good luck trying to convince all these Rainbow Dash fanboys that she has flaws. Cuz they're so biased towards her that they believe that she's perfect in every way despite the fact that it should be so obvious that the other 5 are all so much nicer than her...

• Brohoof 1

There was nothing selfish about what she did in Sonic Rainboom (that was Rarity who was selfish), or Hurricane Fluttershy, or Sleepless in Ponyville, or Wonderbolts Academy, or Testing Testing 1,2,3. 

Indeed. Good luck trying to convince all these Rainbow Dash fanboys that she has flaws. Cuz they're so biased towards her that they believe that she's perfect in every way despite the fact that it should be so obvious that the other 5 are all so much nicer than her...

You're arrogance is getting pettier by the minute. Not being nice doesn't make her a bad character.

• Brohoof 2

Oh wow

Almost everyone admits that she has flaws and that shouldn't be treated as a bad thing. But I'm sorry that your choosing to ignore all the arguments that challenge your extreme views

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Haven't seen the earlier seasons in awhile...Sue me... >_>

Then you're in no position to be judging her if you're that oblivious to her character. Might as well start judging people before you know them. 

What a great role model you would be.

Oh wow

everyone admits that she has flaws, but I'm sorry that your choosing to ignore all the arguments that challenge your extreme views

Really? I hadn't noticed. Right now all I'm seeing is a bunch of biased fanboys who can't/don't want to accept their goddess isn't perfect and are being a bunch of dicks to me about it.

This guys comment proves that you are objectively wrong. 

Flawed characters like her are exactly what this show needs. This ain't Barney the Dinosaur's made up fantasy bs after all.

Considering my youngest sister was inspired by her to try out for sports at school, I would hope her influence would be greater. At least IMO.

• Brohoof 2

There was nothing selfish about what she did in Sonic Rainboom (that was Rarity who was selfish), or Hurricane Fluttershy, or Sleepless in Ponyville, or Wonderbolts Academy, or Testing Testing 1,2,3. 

In Sonic Rainboom, she only saved Rarity so she could do a Sonic Rainboom and have everyone love her. In Hurricane Fluttershy, she didn't care about Fluttershy's feelings and just wanted to be the most impressive flier ever. In Sleepless in Ponyville, she didn't actually care about Scootaloo outside of the fact that Scoots loves her. In Wonderbolts Academy, she was only mad that Lighting Dust was more impressive than her. And in Testing, Testing 1,2,3, she only wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain.

This guys comment proves that you are objectively wrong. 

That's one kid. Most kids know that RD is lame and a bad influence.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing sports, obviously so, that's not a negative influence, it's a positive one. RD's horrible personality is what kids are smarter than to emulate.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

Since I didn't get a response, I'm going to assume I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was, this is literally the very start of the series, so are any of them really her friends at this point? (Apart from childhood friend Fluttershy... and I just realized I forgot Pinkie, who apparently knows everyone in town)

Not at all. Unless we're trying to teach kids that they should be 100% perfect and making mistakes is bad. Then she would be a bad influence. Also, all of the Mane Six could be considered bad influences because they're not perfect either.

You're arrogance is getting pettier by the minute. Not being nice doesn't make her a bad character.

I am fully aware that all of the mane 6 have flaws. Never said they didn't. And I do not by any means think that that makes somepony a bad character. In fact that can even make them a good character. I just don't like it when Rainbow Dash acts like an obnoxious unlikeable asshole...Is that wrong?

she almost leaves her friends for a group of complete strangers who she doesn't even know

But she doesnt. We all get tempted, its resisting that temptation that makes us better people. Of course, you are obviously perfect and never almost fell to temptation, right?

In Sonic Rainboom, she only saved Rarity so she could do a Sonic Rainboom and have everyone love her. In Hurricane Fluttershy, she didn't care about Fluttershy's feelings and just wanted to be the most impressive flier ever. In Sleepless in Ponyville, she didn't actually care about Scootaloo outside of the fact that Scoots loves her. In Wonderbolts Academy, she was only mad that Lighting Dust was more impressive than her. And in Testing, Testing 1,2,3, she only wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain.

That's one kid. Most kids know that RD is lame and a bad influence.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing sports, obviously so, that's not a negative influence, it's a positive one. RD's horrible personality is what kids are smarter than to emulate.

Nice headcanon you got there. Too bad headcanons are never valid.

• Brohoof 1

I knew this thread would attract more unnecessary bashing of Dash. Look, they all have flaws, you guys need to stop over exaggerating certain traits of characters

"Twilight is to perfect and insufferable"

"Fluttershy is too shy and can't stand up to others and is a doormat that learns the same lesson"

"Rarity is too much of a drama queen and is overly dramatic"

"Pinkie is too childish and immature and annoys everybody"
"AJ is too flat with not much going for her"
"RD is too arrogant and a selfish jerk"

I see this all the time, it's pointless, and frankly annoying. No one should be written off the show, and they all show traits that make them good role models in some way. 

My god, I am sick and tired of seeing people bash certain characters. Especially on this forum. Shit, probably more so than other places. I'm not kidding. 

• Brohoof 3

But she doesnt. We all get tempted, its resisting that temptation that makes us better people. Of course, you are obviously perfect and never almost fell to temptation, right?

I know she didn't leave them but she came pretty close iirc.