Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are Celestia and Luna considered "Gods"?

ManaMinori

Something that also gods have been attributed as. The Aesir could all be killed and could age without their golden apples, yet all of them to a man (and woman) were some kind of guardian of Midgard as well as their own realm.

Not saying you're wrong just that how god-like the Princesses are depends on what mythology and theological context you're drawing from when looking at them.

Are you talking about the "protector thing"? If so, I agree, but I never said gods were invunerable, just on "another level".

But then, you're right, depends on how you look at it.  

• Brohoof 1

Though it may make them lesser gods the fact that few other ponies seem capable of doing what they can puts them on a much higher level.

In our modern times the things we do and understand about the universe would cause us to be considered gods by people from centuries ago in spite of how fallible we are.

Let's also not forget that moving the sun and moon are not their only powers. Dreamwalking, granting alicorn-hood, etc. are all things even Twilight would have trouble with. I'm not convinced that any time the princesses had any trouble doing anything it wasn't just for show to get someone else, like Twilight, to try harder.

Are you talking about the "protector thing"? If so, I agree, but I never said gods were invunerable, just on "another level".

But then, you're right, depends on how you look at it.

I would think "the strength of ten decently powerful men" puts them on a higher level. :P

• Brohoof 1

I would think "the strength of ten decently powerful men" puts them on a higher level.

Such was the case of Hercules, who's strength was because of his truly divine nature within a mortal life.

• Brohoof 1

There's also something to point out, which I kinda covered before:

Because ponies have magic, and in a way a better understanding of their universe than humans have of ours, it's possible that they're just closer to godhood than humans are so when you have beings as powerful as Celestia and Luna they seem less powerful by comparison.

• Brohoof 1

Sure, but a group of around 10 unicorns (it's a group, not an army) is as powerful as someone considered as a god? I agree that they are skilled, but not to THAT point. Gods are supposed to be of a different level than mere mortals, they're also supposed to be unique in their skills. I consider Celestia and Luna protectors rather than gods

Actually, you forgot some subtle things.

1) It was five/ unicorns+ Starswirl

2) Said unicorns permanently lost their magic. They ran out of unicorns to perform the task, which is important, because

3) After raising the sun/moon, Celestia and Luna restored the magic of all the unicorns who had lost their magic, including Starswirl. That's at least hundreds if not thousands of times stronger than your average unicorn, and that's after raising celestial bodies.

For the record, Starswirl, the most powerful unicorn tried lowering the moon himself. It aged him, and he still couldn't perform the task.

• Brohoof 2

There's also something to point out, which I kinda covered before:

Because ponies have magic, and in a way a better understanding of their universe than humans have of ours, it's possible that they're just closer to godhood than humans are so when you have beings as powerful as Celestia and Luna they seem less powerful by comparison.

So the ponies themselves are almost closer to what we would consider godhood than normal muggles in a similar fantasy universe?

Given that they are explicitly and demonstrably the wardens of their world, that makes a great deal of sense.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't read the comics and haven't seen any of season 5 yet so I suspect there's a lot of information I'm not privy to. I'm going by post-season 4 information. :lol:

So the ponies themselves are almost closer to what we would consider godhood than normal muggles in a similar fantasy universe?

Given that they are explicitly and demonstrably the wardens of their world, that makes a great deal of sense.

Definitely. I mean look at it this way:

Celestia and Luna control the fucking day and night cycle on a daily basis. THEY do it. The universe wouldn't move without someone to do it from what it sounds like.

While our universe is a little more self-sufficient the most we can do is what...nukes? Long-range communication? Aviation? LOL Ponies got that shit figured out in spades and they do it with innate power. We have to use technology.

Even if ponies could do it before they arrived they're still far more powerful than humans are. Our viewpoint is much lower.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, you forgot some subtle things.

1) It was five/ unicorns+ Starswirl

2) Said unicorns permanently lost their magic. They ran out of unicorns to perform the task, which is important, because

3) After raising the sun/moon, Celestia and Luna restored the magic of all the unicorns who had lost their magic, including Starswirl. That's at least hundreds if not thousands of times stronger than your average unicorn, and that's after raising celestial bodies.

For the record, Starswirl, the most powerful unicorn tried lowering the moon himself. It aged him, and he still couldn't perform the task.

Where did you get these informations? If it's from the 3 first season, then I'm sorry, I don't really remember them.  

Where did you get these informations? If it's from the 3 first season, then I'm sorry, I don't really remember them.  

Journal of the Alicorn Sisters, a canon (albeit B-canon) book written by Amy Keating Rogers.

Journal of the Alicorn Sisters, a canon (albeit B-canon) book written by Amy Keating Rogers.

Well, THIS is interesting. I'll try to find it, read it, but I don't think my opinion will change. Thanks for the share 

I'd say they're Definitely little g gods, of the greek or norse variety. They have areas which they have dominion over and magic that is far beyond that of "normal" mortal ponies (4 alicorns magic was equal to BOTH Discords + every other mortal pony in equestria), as well as immortality.

Plus, the ponies constantly use their name in swearing manners (Sweet celestia!)

2: And Starswirl was (and still is) more powerful than they. What are you getting at?

Where exactly are you getting this idea that starswirl was more powerful than them from? The only thing he's done was banish the sirens, and he did that by just moving a magical mirror in front of them. (the comics haven't exactly been kind to starswirl's hero credential)

3: So who controlled the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna did? (Journal of the two Sisters says it was a bunch of Unicorns, along with Starswirl) so should they also be considered Gods? They're just unicorns. And once more, Starswirl CREATED thousands of Spells. (do we know if Celestia or Luna did? Doubt it) Should he also be a God, by that standard?

you're  disregarding the fact that this act would inevitably shock the unicorn's system beyond repair and destroy their magic forever, while celestia and luna GROW in power everytime they interact with celestial objects instead.

The Unicorns burnt themselves out in an almost sacrificial manner to do what Celestia and luna can do easily.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 3

Um.Are we really bringing in real life religion to a show about pastel colored talking equines? >_>

I will wont say I dont know what histroy thing on God or something,I will just add my points

And my point is that if,for example,Rarity used "Sweet God!" instead of "Sweet Celestia!"...controversy.What God was Rarity refering to?Is Rarity a christian?Speaking of which,what religion are the other of the mane 6?

and countless questions on this.Religion is a very touchy subject on media,because if you use it wrong or right it doesnt matter.You will still have people being offended/mad/angry/whatever about the fact you used that religion and not theirs or stuff

Besides why yes,Celestia for instance just you know,raises the sun(and even raised the moon for sometime) which makes living in Equestria possible.Of course she is worshiped.She a great leader that tries her best to make her subjects happy.THEY adore her.Hence,I could adore her as well I sorta do it already.Best princess in my opinion

Calm your horsies,is just a cartoon :huh:

Besides well,with people like you getting angry they dont use your definition of "God",no wonder they try their best to keep religion out of the show >_>

I'd say it has to do with their talents, and the similarity to Gods in Greek and Egyptian mythology. They move celestial bodies at will.

I can see where your average pony, and your average viewer, would view that as Godly.

As for this;

I feel it falls under the whole Christian commandment of not worshiping false gods/ idols.
My only response is... Don't worship them? I mean, I understand that viewpoint, if you yourself feel you worship them in some way that would anger your God, but if not, this statement doesn't really fit. You can't tell other ponies what to believe, after all. That's my take on it, anyway.
  • Brohoof 2

@@NinjaPomeranian,

Actually I would consider both Rarity and Pinkie as the most faith driven of the Mane Six. Now Rarity is obviously not a Christian, because how the Hell would that be possible in a world where Jesus never existed?

Rarity has more than once espoused an idea of "destiny." Her cutie mark story has her as a filly, putting faith in her magic leading her somewhere for a great distance, her faith is tested when it appears to be a "dumb rock" but is then rewarded when it turns out to be something beautiful, and leads to her discovering her cutie mark and thus her destiny. So if one pony was to have an idea of spirituality and look to Celestia as a kind of epoch or paragon of such, it would be Rarity.

Meanwhile Pinkie also strikes me as very faith driven, sure she has her Pinkie sense and her belief that it just works, but that doesn't strike me as faith. She knows that it's going to work even if she doesn't connect the method with the meaning. No Pinkie's faith comes from her nature as the Element of Laughter. Even in the face of abject doom, Pinkie never stops laughing and smiling, some call that obliviousness but I think she's smarter than that. Pinkie, to me, just has hope that things will always work out even if she doesn't know how or if they will. She's even a good example of the "practically religious" in that she may believe in a good outcome but she always comes prepared for adverse circumstance.

"I've stashed X all over Ponyville, in case of X emergencies." Sure those "emergencies" tend to be silly, but she was right in needing each implement.

@@NinjaPomeranian,

Actually I would consider both Rarity and Pinkie as the most faith driven of the Mane Six. Now Rarity is obviously not a Christian, because how the Hell would that be possible in a world where Jesus never existed?

Rarity has more than once espoused an idea of "destiny." Her cutie mark story has her as a filly, putting faith in her magic leading her somewhere for a great distance, her faith is tested when it appears to be a "dumb rock" but is then rewarded when it turns out to be something beautiful, and leads to her discovering her cutie mark and thus her destiny. So if one pony was to have an idea of spirituality and look to Celestia as a kind of epoch or paragon of such, it would be Rarity.

Meanwhile Pinkie also strikes me as very faith driven, sure she has her Pinkie sense and her belief that it just works, but that doesn't strike me as faith. She knows that it's going to work even if she doesn't connect the method with the meaning. No Pinkie's faith comes from her nature as the Element of Laughter. Even in the face of abject doom, Pinkie never stops laughing and smiling, some call that obliviousness but I think she's smarter than that. Pinkie, to me, just has hope that things will always work out even if she doesn't know how or if they will. She's even a good example of the "practically religious" in that she may believe in a good outcome but she always comes prepared for adverse circumstance.

"I've stashed X all over Ponyville, in case of X emergencies." Sure those "emergencies" tend to be silly, but she was right in needing each implement.

ugh

not everything has to do with christianity

ponies dont have religion.They never had and they will probably never have.

ugh not everything has to do with christianity

I . . . didn't say it did. In fact I said that it's existence in Equestria would not make sense.

ponies dont have religion.They never had and they will probably never have.

There's another thread espousing that very topic, but do ponies have procreational sex?

We never see it, but we can assume it's there since we saw Pound and Pumpkin Cake in a hosptial with lots of other babies assumedly post birth.

I . . . didn't say it did. In fact I said that it's existence in Equestria would not make sense.

There's another thread espousing that very topic, but do ponies have procreational sex?

We never see it, but we can assume it's there since we saw Pound and Pumpkin Cake in a hosptial with lots of other babies assumedly post birth.

...of course we never see it.Is a kid show.They wont tell you the birds and the bees on it :huh:

And meah,assuming they dont appear by magic meh.I could rather dont discuss how equines mate

According to word of faust, they reproduce normally by biological function, so I don't think its really up in the air about whether or not they make foals the "old fashioned way" XD

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1

...of course we never see it.Is a kid show.They wont tell you the birds and the bees on it :huh:

And meah,assuming they dont appear by magic meh.I could rather dont discuss how equines mate

Right, and I wouldn't want them too, but I was merely using them to illustrate a principal. Equestria is a fully realized fantasy world. It's part of why we're here. The creators actually made this into a believable world and as such, we can just assume some of the things in our's and similar worlds would work here.

Certainly religion would be different in Equestria, they clearly don't have a kind of Church or official doctrine, but different is not the same thing as non-existent.

That's just my interpretation though, your headcanon is just as valid as mine.

I seen something that ink rose said and they weren't gods according to her. They were just strong I guess

Mad respect to her, but that is her head canon. Not saying she's wrong and I'm right but it really hardly matters.

Nowhere in the official show did Celestia and Luna consider themselves gods. Heck in their journal, Celestia sees Luna and herself as Equestria's guardians, rather than rulers. 

I may celebrate Christmas and I see God and Jesus as Peace-Loving Figures who love their people, but I'm not the kind of person who "see Christianity as the One True Religion and believes that anyone who think else-wise will be forever d*mned to an eternity in H*ll!" 

• Brohoof 2

Nowhere in the official show did Celestia and Luna consider themselves gods. Heck in their journal, Celestia sees Luna and herself as Equestria's guardians, rather than rulers. 

Disagree.

I do see them as goddesses thematically at the very least, canon or not.

I may celebrate Christmas and I see God and Jesus as Peace-Loving Figures who love their people, but I'm not the kind of person who "see Christianity as the One True Religion and believes that anyone who think else-wise will be forever d*mned to an eternity in H*ll!" 

Agree. 

Really it wasn't that much of the subject here anyway.