Nightmare Rarity: Could this happen?

Tom Snyder

I know, dumb question; but i wish to know if you all think this could be a possibility and would you hate it or love it?

They have given clues about it in the show:

The intentional double meaning from Luna by talking about her active work in dreams to prevent "the Return of the Nightmares" [s3E06]; as a foreshadowing done by Corey Powell (in the original script of the episode presented at early 2011),  not long after a meeting with Gillian Berrow and others were they discussed possible stories for the G4 comic book release.

Applejack´s legend about the origin of the "Pony of Shadows" [s4E03] is not just a direct reference to the second arc of the comics, but also a retcon of the legend of the banishment of Nightmare Moon.

She aparently not remembered anything about "the general event" that transpired 1000 years before at S1E02; but  now she suddenly recalls specific details from "a story Granny told her when she was a filly"...).

[Also, Rarity´s monologues "with the castle" could be interpreted as an open letter to the lesser mists/shadows from the story].

The antagonist in Sweetie Belle´s first dream is a powerfull and mean Rarity, formed from menacing clouds [s4E19]; then at the second dream ("ghost of the future" part) it shows Rarity´s slow descent into madness after the rejection of her work and the difamation of her good name.

Finally, we got a proper episode were an ancient "evil force" [1000 years old minimum, probably much more], becomes an extension/Tulpa of Rarity [s4E23], only after she willingly accepted to use its power by casting the binding spell over herself (implicitly acknowledging all of the conditions for its use); only later becoming obsessed with the "unlimited posibilities" that oppened for her future.

[since it was not a "corruption" of her own mind, but rather a gradual replacement; it is similar to how Nightmare Moon was "molded" from a particular mindset of Luna by an external force, witch then crystalized and grow beyond her own self control].

- - - - -

I do not think it will happen in the series (at least not in S5).

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

For her to reappear in the show, you mean? :ooh: I enjoyed reading the N.R. arc and found her character fairly interesting, but unless the writers had good reason for her to return and some plausible explanation why she survived and can still control Rarity (exploiting her second greatest nightmare? x3), I don't feel it would work very well. Plus, having a single member of the Mane 6 taken over like this twice while none of the others have been... I don't know, it'd irritate me, somehow. And even if Nightmare Rarity could exist separately from Rarity, that would take away quite a lot of what makes Nightmare Moon and Nightmare Rarity in the comics interesting; there being a good pony, corrupted and frightened, underneath the Nightmare exterior... I just can't see her working as anything more than a one-time villain.

If we're talking about her appearing in the show with the N.R. arc pretty much treated as if it never happened, it'd be disappointing for those- including myself- that like to think everything including the comics fit into one continuity, somehow... I doubt that the writers doing something like that would be worthwhile, though, as there doesn't seem to be much else that could be done with her and it'd probably feel weird for those that had read the arc to see a character they already know being treated as if she's never been seen before.

If you mean an adaptation of the arc into a two-episode TV story, on the other hoof, then that would be pretty exciting, IMO; I'd love to see what she looks like in motion, as well as the Nightmare Forces and the battle scenes in general.  :catface:

Sorry if any of this isn't answering the question; I can't really tell what you mean precisely by it. :blush:

I've never read the comics, so I can't say precisely.  However, her behavior in episodes 18 Sonic Rainboom & Inspiration Manifestation show she has the potential to turn to the dark side.  If you assume Night Mare Moon wasn't completely destroyed then I would say it's possible.

Hasbro just announced there will be a season 6, so maybe then.  (A 2 part opener, perhaps?)

Well we could have an episode where Rarity wanders alone into the old abandoned castle for some reason and it is then revealed that NMM was not completely defeated and a part of her soul lives on in the random broken pieces of armor in the old throne room.

Rarity comes across these shards and the small fragments of NMM immediately latch themselves on to Rarity and get inside her mind.

SIGNATURE_1.jpeg

Well, it has been stated that the show likely won't be referencing comics any time soon. Likewise while the comics follow show canon, the show doesn't follow comic canon. As such the show is not obligated to mention Nightmare Rarity; though the concept hasn't been dismissed yet.

In any case I'd like to see it. :)

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

(edited)

Well, it has been stated that the show likely won't be referencing comics any time soon. Likewise while the comics follow show canon, the show doesn't follow comic canon. As such the show is not obligated to mention Nightmare Rarity; though the concept hasn't been dismissed yet.

In any case I'd like to see it. :)

Alright, let me put it this way then: If they made it a movie instead, where its an alternate timeline and this happens after certain chain of events; would that be more suitable? I know they won't be referencing the comics anytime soon; it was just a thought. 

Edited by Candy Star

sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

//// My DA: (OC requests available) ////

Alright, let me put it this way then: If they made it a movie instead, where its an alternate timeline and this happens after certain chain of events; would that be more suitable? I know they won't be referencing the comics anytime soon; it was just a thought. 

Anything is possible; in truth. Of course since NMR has her origins in the comics I don't see it happening, but I won't predict would could happen.

Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~

Anything is possible; in truth. Of course since NMR has her origins in the comics I don't see it happening, but I won't predict would could happen.

I never said you had to, just wanted to know what people thought of it.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

I never said you had to, just wanted to know what people thought of it.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were; apologies. ^^

In any case I think it might be an interesting idea if they could pull it off.

• Brohoof 1

Yet i get the feeling you doubt they could do it, am i right?

It's not so much doubt as it is being cautious with tempered optimism. In truth they can pull off anything and make it work, but I hesitate to say that with 100% confidence.

• Brohoof 1

They won't do Nightmare Rarity in the show.

because there's already been hints dropped that it's Celestia who falls to the Nightmares next...

Pleasant Dreams for the Season 5 finale!

RedCedarForumSignature.png
Roleplaying OC: Red Cedar - Cast Character: Applejack

The comics are very different from the show (the stories are darker). While it can work in the comics, I don't think it would work in the show at all.

Can you imagine Rarity becoming..."that" in the show? God please no. :eww:

Edited by Blobulle

The most they MIGHT do is maybe show Rarity still traumatized by when she became Nightmare Rarity. Or maybe Pinkie jokingly tells the others not to forget her because of what happened last time. But her becoming Nightmare Rarity in the show, I doubt that. 

sig-32599.j50YwVr.png

Rarity Fan Club

My Ponysona

My Drawing of Rarity

The most they MIGHT do is maybe show Rarity still traumatized by when she became Nightmare Rarity. Or maybe Pinkie jokingly tells the others not to forget her because of what happened last time. But her becoming Nightmare Rarity in the show, I doubt that. 

I know it won't likely happen ever, but its an interesting scenario.

• Brohoof 1