Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC Palette and Name?

Clover Heart

(edited)
I have a character I created a while ago. There are a couple sketches I did here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/121931-sketches-of-an-oc-of-mine/#entry3513312

Originally, I was gonna have her be a unicorn, but of my group of characters, I already have a unicorn. I thought I'd make her an earth pony specializing in love chemistry (making potions and stuff.) 

The kind of placeholder name I have for her is Love Wish. I haven't thought that much about her story or conflicts, yet. I know that'd be helpful in creating a name, but I just don't quite have it, yet. 

Aside from that, I have a number of palettes I've come up with for her. I can't really seem to decide. Descriptions are contained with the pictures in each spoiler box.

lovewish1_zpsz3g6zkvk.png

This was the first one I made. I kinda had some symbolism going with the color scheme. In terms of rose colors, red symbolizes love and yellow symbolizes friendship. Aster symbolizes fidelity, so that's why I went for purple at first. And the pink... goes with red.

lovewish3_zpszcghjmxs.png

I was thinking of rose colors, still, and orange goes with passion. I was just thinking, though, that it makes her come off as too firey. Also kinda reminds me a lot of Sunset Shimmer for no good reason

lovewish2_zpse8kvqpdd.png

For the stripes, I stopped going with anything symbolic, and just by aesthetic. Not that this aesthetic is that good, as I now sorta see. Maybe the stripes and mane color clash.

lovewish5_zps5dlorqt5.png

Now that I'm looking at it, I think this color scheme probably looks too much like Diamond Tiara. The scheme itself is fine, but...

lovewish4_zpsap3rtqbx.png

To bring red back into the equation.

lovewish6_zpscglbkzoq.png

This one's decent.

lovewish7_zpssv3rsejo.png

This one's decent, too.

I think the ones I like the best are 1, 4, 6 and 7, though as I said, 4 might look too much like Diamond Tiara. But among those, I can't really decide. I sorta like the idea of having a darker colored pony. Of my other 3 characters, two are lighter colored and one is darker colored, so it might bring about some balance. I just didn't know if she looked too dark, for whatever reason. She's also very gentle, calm, collected and has a very sweet yet soft-spoken personality. I wondered if colors this intense would clash with her personality.

I do think 7 looks very romantic, I will say.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. What do you think about a name? Which color palettes do you like and which don't you like? Why? What works and what doesn't? Frankly, I'm having trouble deciding.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Clover Heart

I like the orange palette the best because it goes best with her eyes, and for a name.... I'm trying to come up with chemistry terms that don't sound absolutely ridiculous in that capacity, but coming up blank.

What if you incorporated the name of an element into her name?  Like Cobalt Heart or Carbon Heart?  Or something with Xenon, because that is pretty much the coolest element name on the table.  Xenon... Tryst?

Chemical terms would make for a very interesting and unique name, and there are a bunch that could work: Alkali, Anion, Colloid, Crystal, Photon, Vapor.  If you could make a name that is equal parts "love" and "chemistry", I think it would really stand out.

• Brohoof 1

I liked No.1 the best, and for a name, might i suggest "Cupids Flower" prehaps?

It seems like most people, including people not on the forums, who I asked liked the first one. That makes sense, cuz that was the original one I made. So I suppose I'll go with that palette.

As for a name, I still haven't decided. However, all your suggestions have given me a lot to consider which I hadn't previously.

Thanks to everyone for all your help! :)

• Brohoof 1

I personally like 3 and 7.

3 because the touch of gray works as a good counter to all the red tones going on. Depending on the personality, that gray may work well, if her personality is something like say, Maude Pie. 

I liked 7 because of the big contrast difference between the dark red and the bright purple. It would really make her stand out and to me it sort of gives her an air of mystery, in the romantic sense, which may be helpful considering her name and talent.

As for names, what you have sounds good. The only thing I can come up with, taking into consideration her talent being chemistry and everything, is Love Drops.

• Brohoof 1

As for names, what you have sounds good. The only thing I can come up with, taking into consideration her talent being chemistry and everything, is Love Drops.

Omg, actually, after posting this, I had the idea to call her Love Drops, too. Great minds, eh? ;) Maybe I really should go with that, then. Thanks!