gaming The Nicest Gamestop Employee I Ever Met Got Fired

Tom Snyder

Out of curiosity what were you expecting when making this post? I mean, obviously people were going to disagree and they have, you seem really defensive every time someone is making a counter opinion here and as one of the previous posters said it is totally flogging a dead horse, im trying to actually not come back too this topic but every time theres a post im curious too see why.

My point is as I keep saying this topic is absolutely not going anywhere and just causing arguments, people will have different opinions too yours, deal with it. This is the real world, a world where people get fired for breaking company rules and taking things which are not theres there are no ifs, there are no buts, it doesn't matter if he gave $60 from gamestop too a starving child in africa, it is still not his money too take, he did not give you his own money there for he was not trying to help you out of his own pocket now stop please being so snappy and rude too people who are just saying what they think then acting like the victim just because you dont like their posts.

Its not about me being right or wrong, its about who helped a person, instead of being selfish like the others. I'm talking about his kindness; call it criminal if you like to, i don't care. You call it a crime, i call it minor offense. He'd only get 1 or 10 days max, i don't think he cared tht much about his boss.

its not like he was robbing them of it.

It is exactly that he robbed them of it. Most, if not all companies will fire an employee on the spot for theft of any kind. The manager did his job properly when he fired someone who willing stole from the company. Let's try a little thought experiment. Say it was a jewelry store. What do you think would happen to an employee that (only just once) stole a small diamond and gave it to a friend.

It is exactly that he robbed them of it. Most, if not all companies will fire an employee on the spot for theft of any kind. The manager did his job properly when he fired someone who willing stole from the company. Let's try a little thought experiment. Say it was a jewelry store. What do you think would happen to an employee that (only just once) stole a small diamond and gave it to a friend.

It was a used game, not a useless shiny rock from the ground. They could of easily taken it out of his pay and told him if he did it again he would be fired. 

It was a used game, not a useless shiny rock from the ground. They could of easily taken it out of his pay and told him if he did it again he would be fired.

Or the manager could fire him for doing it once and replace him with someone who won't.

It's not just a matter of having done it. All it takes is little things like this to be a gateway crime. Sooner or later he could start doing it more often, telling himself that it's for a good cause, but eventually he'll do it because he likes to do it or doesn't think he needs to pay for things anymore.

This may or may not have been the case with the employee but that's what the manager has to deal with. The possibility that an employee would do it once could do it again. Especially if he takes no significant action against it. If other employees think they can get away with it "as an act of kindness" just so they don't get fired then the company not only loses the money from the original act but any future acts.

Assuming such things kept up then the manager would eventually have to make the consequences more and more strict until the policy is to fire any employee who steals for whatever reason. Hell, that could be what lead to his being fired in the first place. All this may have already transpired at that store or has happened at other Gamestops until the company itself made it a policy.

The point: Nip the problem in the bud and it never even has the chance of happening again.

Worse case scenario: The manager doesn't punish the employee as harshly and he does it again and now the manager has to take responsibility for not having prevented a string of thefts from the company and then he can be replaced.

This is the problem with crimes committed under the guise of being an act of kindness. It's still a crime and everyone will want to take the side of the one who committed the crime because he was just being a nice guy. If good intentions were the only thing we needed to clear a person's name then anyone can learn to lie about it. That's why law systems, and by extension company policies, are as strict as they are. They don't give human opinion a chance to run wild and set criminals free.

Or the manager could fire him for doing it once and replace him with someone who won't.

It's not just a matter of having done it. All it takes is little things like this to be a gateway crime. Sooner or later he could start doing it more often, telling himself that it's for a good cause, but eventually he'll do it because he likes to do it or doesn't think he needs to pay for things anymore.

This may or may not have been the case with the employee but that's what the manager has to deal with. The possibility that an employee would do it once could do it again. Especially if he takes no significant action against it. If other employees think they can get away with it "as an act of kindness" just so they don't get fired then the company not only loses the money from the original act but any future acts.

Assuming such things kept up then the manager would eventually have to make the consequences more and more strict until the policy is to fire any employee who steals for whatever reason. Hell, that could be what lead to his being fired in the first place. All this may have already transpired at that store or has happened at other Gamestops until the company itself made it a policy.

The point: Nip the problem in the bud and it never even has the chance of happening again.

Worse case scenario: The manager doesn't punish the employee as harshly and he does it again and now the manager has to take responsibility for not having prevented a string of thefts from the company and then he can be replaced.

This is the problem with crimes committed under the guise of being an act of kindness. It's still a crime and everyone will want to take the side of the one who committed the crime because he was just being a nice guy. If good intentions were the only thing we needed to clear a person's name then anyone can learn to lie about it. That's why law systems, and by extension company policies, are as strict as they are. They don't give human opinion a chance to run wild and set criminals free.

That's no promise the next one won't.

That's no promise the next one won't.

Who will then get fired as well until he finds someone who won't. That's the purpose of the interview process: To find someone who (assuming they aren't lying) will keep in line and do their job correctly.

It's a risk of finding new employees but better to find a new person who might not than keep an employee who already proved that he's capable of doing it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Who will then get fired as well until he finds someone who won't. That's the purpose of the interview process: To find someone who (assuming they aren't lying) will keep in line and do their job correctly.

It's a risk of finding new employees but better to find a new person who might not than keep an employee who already proved that he's capable of doing it.

The only thing is, the employee are pretty much just asked to sell you anything as if it were worth it and if your life depended on it. That's not how you do business, that's forced suggestion. But i guess if you can find someone who won't, then you're golden. But even the best of employees will resort to it.

They can lie and say what you want to hear, and even if you check their background and its good, they still can deceive you. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you can't always avoid it happening. It will happen, all you can do is try and recover, but a small theft is nothing to cry about. You hear of these kids who stole a bunch of games off the shelves, but turns out they were only display cases lol. 

I do feel sorry for him though, he had good intentions and i'm grateful he helped me. But yes, it was an action that could have been thought about.

Edited by Candy Star