Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was "Slice of Life", aimed towards bronys?

Ragingdubstep

Now, let's be fair. We've all questioned what Vinyl sounds like, how Octavia acts and Derpy and Whooves relationship (I SHIP IT. HARD.). I think ever since I watched it with my bff, I told her afterwards, it was TOTALLY aimed at bronys. What do you think? It sure explained a lot. I loved this episode!

• Brohoof 2

Aimed at bronies, not designed TOTALLY for bronies. Kids have to still be able to enjoy things after all, and the 100th episode had lots of humor that kids would love.

So while the episode premise was made with bronies in mind, its not that same as 100% making it just for us-- like ordering a pizza with pepperoni because a teenager likes that flavor, but the parent knows the 4 year old will eat it too.

• Brohoof 9

It was basically a love-letter to us and for that, I absolutely loved it. :wub: I was like *squee* the whole time and to make me do that for 22 minutes straight, that is a feat. :P Yeah, the episode was pretty much made with us in mind. I don't mind though. :wacko:​​

• Brohoof 3

I truly believe it was aimed at bronies and any other staff that helped them in the making of MLP. They made the point that even "background" ponies are important. Even if you feel unappreciated, you help someone somewhere in all you do. Kids probably thought the show was referring to the new background ponies we were introduced to. They helped accomplish the wedding. But Bronies know whom the speech was truly for. <3 Love that episode! They truly took our thoughts on ponies and used them to bring them to life. They were thanking us for bringing personality to every pony--not just the "important" ones. 

• Brohoof 4

If it was aimed towards bronies, then it wouldn't be rated TV-Y, if you know what I mean. Either way, I thought it was somewhat decent.

Edited by Blackened
  • Brohoof 1

I don't even believe this is a question really. It's pretty evident that it was, much to my dismay. Even I can not deny that it's pretty obvious that bronies were the target of the episode.

It can still be aimed at us without being unsuitable for the original target audience.

It says on Discovery Family that it's Y.

Now I don't know about other channels that air the show.

Absolutely. You never see Vinyl Scratch turntable like that in cannon.

And Button Mash?

Was he actually a real character or fanmade?

He was a canon character that showed for a short time when the CMC were singing the "Perfect Stallion" song. JanAnimations just used him in his animations, he doesn't own his design, but the name "Button Mash" was created by Jan.

Edited by AnotherTigerGeekGuy

He was a canon character that showed for a short time when the CMC were singing the "Perfect Stallion" song. JanAnimations just used him in his animations, he doesn't own his design, but the name "Button Mash" was created by Jan.

Oh. Well, that explains a lot.

I live in the UK.  Our ratings system is a little different.

I've been there a few times... 2009, 2011, 2012, but 2012 was just waiting for a connected flight in Heathrow for a Kenya flight.

But I remember watching TV there, didn't pay attention to the ratings that much.

I've been there a few times... 2009, 2011, 2012, but 2012 was just waiting for a connected flight in Heathrow for a Kenya flight.

But I remember watching TV there, didn't pay attention to the ratings that much.

We don't actually have ratings for TV as such, we have what they call a watershed, programs before it have to be suitable for most viewers, although there may be advisory statements made before the program if it contains possibly objectionable content.  Programs after the watershed can be more adult oriented.

We don't actually have ratings for TV as such, we have what they call a watershed, programs before it have to be suitable for most viewers, although there may be advisory statements made before the program if it contains possibly objectionable content.  Programs after the watershed can be more adult oriented.

Do they have Top Gear on BBC Two? That show is great.

Yes, isn't it obvious? :muffins:

The episode was comprised of 90% fandom references that nobody who isn't a member of the brony fandom would understand. I really wouldn't be surprised if the target audience was left dumbfounded by the episode. None of the show's familiar characters are in the limelight after all.

As fun and wild as the episode was, and as much as I enjoyed how well-conveyed the message was, it really wouldn't hurt to see the show take the fanservice down a notch. Or several notches really. It's growing more excessive every season.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not sure how US ratings work, but I'm pretty sure that TV Y means that it's suitable for young viewers.

I kind of wish there were a few more ratings for a more gradual scale of things (like how there's PG and PG13, I kind of wish there was a level above Y that means slightly more mature than Y).