Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was "Slice of Life", aimed towards bronys?

Ragingdubstep

Are you kidding me? There has already been more pandering from the subsequent episodes after that one. Slice of Life was like the gateway for these kinds of episodes.

No, there wasn't. At least, not on that level.

I think you're overexaggerating.

• Brohoof 2

My Kids both really liked episode 100. My daughter got most of the references, and commented on something every minute or so, due to having spent 100's of hours watching fanmade stuff of youtube (which I have to prewatch first to make sure it's safe for her) My son on the other hand, has watched a lot of youtube stuff, but not as much, and being 5 (she's 7) he hasn't got the same grasp of the the fan created identities and personalities of the background ponies, so while he had fun watching the episode, he only mentioned Derpy and Lyra/Bonbon

Ep 100 was totally for bronies, but also made with enough care that It can be enjoyed and works as an episode for younger kids, and casual viewers - if they don't mind a bit of a chaotic story arc due to cramming so many characters into such a short time -. From start to finish it was just one fandom shout after another, but it's not essential for anyone watching to actually get them

I rate any episode on how enjoyable it was for the kids first and foremost. Bronies are like adults having fun in a big theme park with equipment that can accomodate both kids and adults at the same time. It's all good if you can get some fun and a kick out of it, but if you don't like a particular ride that all the kids enjoy, it's still a good ride.

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 2

The dam has been broken. That's all I need to say.

Maybe for you, but to most of us the show is still as strong, if not stronger than ever.

• Brohoof 1

Seems you feel insecure about the ratings somewhat because the dam is not the ratings or the popularity of the show.

What dam? Did Slice of Life Break some nonexistent dam or something? No, it did not. I'm sorry the show isn't the same without Faust and that annoys you, but we've moved on from that.

Stop being so negative towards the show.

• Brohoof 1

What dam? Did Slice of Life Break some nonexistent dam or something? No, it did not. I'm sorry the show isn't the same without Faust and that annoys you, but we've moved on from that.

Stop being so negative towards the show.

The dam is something else from that but you shouldn't concern yourself over it if you're happy with what you have right now. 

And I have no idea what Faust has anything to do with this conversation. It's about pandering. 

And I have no idea what Faust has anything to do with this conversation. It's about pandering. 

The show took a nosedive immediately after Faust left, or more accurately, after Rob Renzetti left (a direct consequence of Faust leaving.)

It's largely because Faust and Renzetti are no longer on the team that the show has become this crude parody of its former self.

Edited by Lucky Shot
  • Brohoof 1

The show took a nosedive immediately after Faust left, or more accurately, after Rob Renzetti left (a direct consequence of Faust leaving.)

It's largely because Faust and Renzetti are no longer on the team that the show has become this crude parody of its former self.

I agree. I do miss the style of the first two seasons.

Edited by cider float

The show has changed over the seasons for sure, but whether it's for better or worse depends entirely on the preference of the individual. No one can be wrong for saying they dislike the way it is now, or that they hated ep 100, but no one can be wrong for being happy with the way it is now and loving 100 either.

Reality is MLP has never been anything more profound than light entertainment, and it exists for the purpose of promoting and selling merchandise. If it manages to be a decent show that can entertain, educate (Kids in particular) help, and bring a little joy to people in the process, thats a very good thing, and a nice bonus. It's not art though or groundbreaking storytelling. There's greater quality to be found in fan made content on youtube, and looking back over the past few years, it's been that way since season 1. I still enjoy the show a lot, and I still think it's decent enough to exist in it's own right, but I don't kid myself that the top priority has ever been anything other than appealing to people who'll spend money on merch

• Brohoof 1

The show has changed over the seasons for sure, but whether it's for better or worse depends entirely on the preference of the individual. 

Well making the show less friendly to kids, their core audience, is pretty objectively a bad idea

My kids seem to like the latter seasons more than the early ones. They find it funnier now, some (but not many) of the S1 & S2 episodes they find a little boring.

It doesn't try too hard to have a lesson in each episode like it used to, but some of them seemed a little forced and artificial anyways. The kids just watch it for fun now, and don't really miss the cliche life lessons.

I don't give much value to complaints about "dumbing down" when it comes to games, films, and TV shows. Having spent 20 years in a fairly high pressure environment, and seeing that over a network of several thousand employee's, efficiency and productivity is decimated every year due to a myriad of stress related ailments that prevent staff from being able to either turn up for work, or perform effectively. I don't underestimate the value of giving the mind a bit of a break

For most first world people, life is nowhere near as hard now as it was several generations back, and in the absence of long days of hard graft, many people now seem to spend too much of their time stressing out and obsessing over things. Which is why light entertainment is just as valuable as heavy thought provoking material. People need to learn how to unwind, just as much as they need to learn.

MLP in it's original and in it's current state still falls nicely in the middle area between something deep and profound and completely mindless entertainment. It's good for kids to be able to watch something mostly just for laughs, but I would prefer it was MLP, rather than the likes of Almost Naked Animals, Fleabag Monkeyface, or the Aquabats stupid show (Aquabats isn't too bad because it is at least a parody)

Balance is important in life, at the moment the Ponies are still well rounded balanced entertainment. Made in Manehatten for example didn't really have many gags and was free of crazyness, but had a nice little message about community. Make New Friends but Keep Discord, had lots of sillyness, but also covered the issue of jealousy which is something that kids need daily lessons about. In season one, my kids liked Bridle Gossip the most because of the laughs they got from it, and the episode itself had a useful anti prejudice message. They're still managing to mix gags with message, even if it's a bit more of one than the other.

So basically, blah blah blah my opinion, I can understand anyone who loved it before and doesn't like it now. I just think it can't be said that it doesn't fit a valid purpose anymore, it's still a worthwhile show for the original target audience

Edited by BPCannon