Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity more powerful than Trixie?

KawaiiUnicorn

I noticed how Rarity can attack zombie dresses using magic beams (Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep), but when Trixie tries to attack Rainbow Dash with a magic beam it ends up tickling her. (Magic Duel). My theory is that Rarity has more raw power than Trixie, but doesn't know how to utilize it. Trixie on the other hoof probably studied spells, but doesn't have enough magical muscle to pull it off, thus explaining all of her spells under the alicorn amulet. (It only granted the user power, not knowledge)

• Brohoof 3

I noticed how Rarity can attack zombie dresses using magic beams (Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep), but when Trixie tries to attack Rainbow Dash with a magic beam it ends up tickling her. (Magic Duel). My theory is that Rarity has more raw power than Trixie, but doesn't know how to utilize it. Trixie on the other hoof probably studied spells, but doesn't have enough magical muscle to pull it off, thus explaining all of her spells under the alicorn amulet. (It only granted the user power, not knowledge)

I think the show focuses a lot on Twilight's magic ability, but you're absolutely correct. Rarity does seem to be a pretty powerful pony! I wish they would show her using her unicorn magic more often.

• Brohoof 1

I noticed how Rarity can attack zombie dresses using magic beams (Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep), [...])

Then again, she attacked those dresses in a dream. Who knows wether she could pull that off in an awake state?

In my opinion Rarity focuses on different magic that is more practical for her designer work. I don't think she's even interested in knowing spells for combat.

• Brohoof 5

Rarity is the most powerful pony in terms of magical abilities in my eye, though she doesn't use her power brutishly. She has shown that she can levitate hundreds of objects with abreeze and we see twilight and others levitate only one or two at once. Her elegance and concentration are on high level in terms of magic she knows huge variety of spells and I think even more than twilight. Though twilight actually studies her magic but i believe rarity is gifted with more power than we can even imagine

• Brohoof 2

I like this theory.

Rarity is the most powerful pony in terms of magical abilities in my eye, though she doesn't use her power brutishly. She has shown that she can levitate hundreds of objects with abreeze and we see twilight and others levitate only one or two at once. Her elegance and concentration are on high level in terms of magic she knows huge variety of spells and I think even more than twilight. Though twilight actually studies her magic but i believe rarity is gifted with more power than we can even imagine

I think you're overestimating her abilities just a teeny bit.

You're forgetting that not only has Twilight lifted things like a watertower and an Ursa Minor, but she's also levitated tons of objects at once, such as we see when she pulls all the books off her shelves for reorganizing. And I'm not sure where you're getting "probably knows more spells than Twilight" from. So far we've only seen Rarity do magic related to gem finding and designing clothes (along with the basics of levitation and illumination).

I don't think Rarity has the most powerful magic, but she does probably have the most precise, which is great when you're an artist.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 6

..Really? I don't think so. Rarity hasn't shown any ability that's greater than your average unicorn, while Trixie does her magic shows for a living. She's arguably more precise with magic too, like the time she humiliated Rarity and the others. I can safely assume that Trixie is a better magic user than Rarity will ever be. 

(It only granted the user power, not knowledge)
\

That would make Trixie as knowledgeable if not even more so than Starswirl. I doubt that. 

• Brohoof 2

Rarity is shown to possess the ability to attack an entity while awake (not dreaming) in the episode "Look Before You Sleep".  She stops pillows launching fast at her with her magic and uses her magic to launch them just as fast back at Applejack.

• Brohoof 1

For today i let it slip that Rarity is better. Since it is RARIDAAAAY.

But under normal circumstances i'd never even think about such heresy.

Trixie is even more powerful than Celestia, Cadance Luna and Purplesmart together.

And one day, she will rule aaaaall over Equestria.

Goooo Trixieee!

Rarity is certainly more powerful than Trixie... when it comes to dress making and designer magic.

Trixie's talent lies elsewhere, at being a showpony.

You can't really compare them, as their magical strengths are in different areas.

• Brohoof 3

She's arguably more precise with magic too, like the time she humiliated Rarity and the others.

Trixie does not impress me simply because she said what anypony can do she can do it better but she did horrible things to them instead of doing what they did better.

Edited by FrozenSpark

Trixie does not impress me simply because she said what anypony can do she can do it better but she did horrible things to do them instead doing what they did better.

She still showed great precision using her magic to hogtie Applejack and lasso an apple into her mouth. 

She still showed great precision using her magic to hogtie Applejack and lasso an apple into her mouth. 

Yeah but after that she abused them, just because she got one right doesn't mean what she did next needs to be ignored, she failed to do what she bragged so much.

Yeah but after that she abused them, just because she got one right doesn't mean what she did next needs to be ignored, she failed to do what she bragged so much.

She impressed the audience, which was the entire purpose of the show before they decided to interrupt it. 

So the show was about humiliating the mane 6 not showing that what anypony can do she can do it better ?

They booed Trixie at the very start of her show, and then got into her face. They deserved every bit and more, and I'm not willing to argue this again. 

My point: Trixie can use magic with great precision just like Rarity, maybe even better. 

• Brohoof 3

They booed Trixie at the very start of her show, and then got into her face. They deserved every bit and more, and I'm not willing to argue this again. 

My point: Trixie can use magic with great precision just like Rarity, maybe even better. 

If thats true then how come she couldn't do what Rarity did ? Trixie just attacked her instead of doing it better.

Edited by FrozenSpark

It's been covered in one of the episodes (the first one with Trixie I think) that unicorns generally possess only a small a small amount of magic and spells that is linked directly to their talent.

Rarity therefore has a variety of magics at her disposal all connected to her craft of dressmaking.

Rarity is shown to possess the ability to attack an entity while awake (not dreaming) in the episode "Look Before You Sleep".  She stops pillows launching fast at her with her magic and uses her magic to launch them just as fast back at Applejack.

In this example, the pillows you mention are textile items, and therefore the manipulation of them would easily fall into the realms of her ability.

Trixie's talent appears to be in showmanship, and although she is able to employ a wide variety of spells to amuse an audience she seems to have trouble applying those spells in a 'real life' situation.

Rarity's magic is definitely powerful within her field, and by the very nature of what she does, she is able to apply her magic in practical situations.  I think Trixie has greater potential, but she lacks the ability to harness her power as a means to achieve an end, using her magic instead as an end in itself.

• Brohoof 3

As Trixie was just a plot device in my mind to show how powerful Twilight is, I do believe that Rarity does have some degree of magical capability from what we saw in Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep. Also, to e fully honest I don't think Trixie had that much magic ability at all considering she had to go to the Amulet to give her power

In "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep", Rarity was dreaming.  Big Mac also became an Alicorn.  Should we be comparing Twilight's magical capabilities with Big Mac's? I don't think so; he is an Earth Pony when not dreaming xD

• Brohoof 2

Don't forget that Rarity was in a dream, where she can do whatever she wants, even unconsciously like, becoming more powerful.

Do be honest, I don't know which one is the strongest, even if I prefer Trixie myself x3

• Brohoof 1