Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Backstory Brainstorming

SpikusFyre

There is a type of brainstorming I like to do that I refer to as "springboarding". For whatever reason normal brainstorming and I have a strained "relationship" so I use this method instead. Basically the way it works is like normal brainstorming except it functions by using others to bounce ideas off of to refine said ideas. Yes I'm aware most people probably already know about that kind of brainstorming but I have a bad tendency of over-explaining myself... 

I have absolutely nothing thought up in the way of backstory for this character so I had to idea to use these forums to springboard ideas off of so I don't end up with some kind of gary-stu-esc backstory or a supremely bland backstory. The character in question is the one that's the first link in my signature.

One idea that I have had is that his father was a guard and was also a strict parent which could be why my character could have a disdain for rules and guidelines. Other than that I've got nothing other than what's on the character page.

• 8 months later...

@@SpikusFyre,

Hopefully you're still interested, I get the post count regardless though.

Generally the backstory is written to support the motives and personality that you want your character to have. It is meant to explain why your character is the way they are, how they got to where they are from where they started and things like that, both in regards to actual location as well as personality and physical appearance.

The best advice I can give is to look at other characters and see what works for you. Personally, I'd have to know where you want your character to go as an individual in order to help provide a base to support that path from.

@@SpikusFyre,

Hopefully you're still interested, I get the post count regardless though.

Generally the backstory is written to support the motives and personality that you want your character to have. It is meant to explain why your character is the way they are, how they got to where they are from where they started and things like that, both in regards to actual location as well as personality and physical appearance.

The best advice I can give is to look at other characters and see what works for you. Personally, I'd have to know where you want your character to go as an individual in order to help provide a base to support that path from.

Honestly I had entirely forgotten about this thread and went to other people directly to get assistance. Thanks for wanting to help nonetheless, but at this point I don't really need to "springboard" things anymore.

@@SpikusFyre,

Hmm, given his mark is a type of blue fire, and his coat is somewhat ash colored, perhaps his real name would have to do with hot flames and ash, Ashen Flame perhaps? It relates to his new name too which makes it more likely to have stuck.