Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has there ever been a villain with both a good redemption and a good backstory?

SunsetShimmerStan

Has there ever been a reformed antagonist with both a good backstory and a good redemption arc on the show?

Discord at most has "if you don't indulge in chaotic behavior, you'll die" but we all know he kinda stumbled later on in A Matter of Principals and the fake Grogar thing.

Sunset Shimmer's actual redemption arc is great, but there's hardly any backstory on why she became mean at all (and we can agree that first movie Sunset is probably her worst written appearance).

Starlight Glimmer's backstory is pretty divisive with said redemption as even more divisive.

Kinda wondering if anyone thinks there's a reformed villain with both a good backstory and a good redemption arc?

• Brohoof 1

I always love Tempest if we're counting the movie. :P She really shines in the comics, too. Otherwise...

I quite like Trixie's. I felt her redemption was very natural. Though she has sort of the same thing going on as Sunset, where she doesn't really have a backstory beyond a short aside. It's been a minute since my last rewatch, but I remember enjoying Stygian's, too.

Tempest, Diamond Tiara and Gilda I'd probably argue are the only real good ones

There's Stygian. Perhaps Luna too since their stories are similar. But you could also say those are not quote "true"* end quote add an asterix redemptions since they were possesed.

On topic of Starlight and Tempest, i really feel like their backstories are not that much different. Both got sorta betrayed(or felt betrayed) by the friends they trusted most and went a dark path afterwards. Tempest's was somewhat better executed with the entire physical disability side of it, but at the core her reasons are very similar. Not to say that Tempest's backstory is bad, but more that Starlight's isn't as bad as some may perceive it.