Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Ever been through a tornado?

King of Canterlot

I haven't actually been in one, however I got to be really close. I've seen 3; F1, F3, and F4. The F3 was scary but the F4 was insane. There was semi trucks and parking blocks being flung around like a toy. I was outside my college when I got to see it. The F1 was neat, just because it was just a very small tunnel and it was frozen in place.

Also if anyone is interested, this site can show all tornadoes in or near your zip code (US) that was recorded.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I haven't directly been through a tornado, though I've seen funnel clouds and rotation near my house during some severe storms.

Even though I haven't been directly through a tornado, I've been through straight line winds before. Those winds have dangerously high speeds similar to that of a small tornado except that they blow straight instead of having rotation. Anyways, I thought a tornado hit when the straight line winds came through my area. It was alarming, the power was already flickering before the winds reached my location, and once it hit I had to go to my basement for cover. At least five trees near me were downed during that storm and so were a few power lines. Thankfully I was ok and not much damage to any buildings near me except a garage, but the mess the storm made was huge.

Edited by EpicEnergy

Bad bad experience for me. We don't have tornadoes here in Sweden.... Except that summer day last year...... It was the scariest thing, from no where. Ripped a path through our forest. So much damage. It was a local tornado.

I wonder if I have been any more scared than that day? I remember seeing the trees outside the window of our main building rotating by 90 degrees, and I ran into the basement thinking it was the end of the world. :(

• Brohoof 2

Where I live is very prone to tornadoes. However, thankfully, one has never hit my town. Tornadoes have hit nearby, though. The most I have ever seen above my home was a funnel cloud but it disappeared. 

• 1 year later...

Actually, I was through one that passed thought my house in 2017. Horrible experience. But it was a Swedish one, not as strong. Just destroyed a lot of my forest, and took months to clean up.

(edited)

Had one pass very very close by last year, around 1 mile away. Luckily I was fine, but there were 25 deaths in total. Mostly in Nashville, but I think there was at least one in the nearby town I live in. Bad enough it has it's own wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_March_2–3,_2020

Plenty of property damage too, biggest impact near where I live was to a nearby car dealership, all their cars got flung all over and destroyed.

Edited by Magpie

I was never in a tornado, but in the thunderstorm around a tornado which hit my village in 2000. And I never experienced a heavier storm than this. Besides this, I stood a few times in a dust devil.

• 2 weeks later...

A tornado went through back when I was living in the Midwest. The house was situated on a 3 acre lot and the tornado skirted one corner of it. It was a minor tornado/F1 but it did some serious damage to the neighbors and the power lines. It ripped down a transformer and flung it across the road, which in turn yanked down the rest of the power lines. The next door neighbors lost almost all of their very large trees and a cattle pen was flattened (no animals were harmed as far as I know because they were back the next day as soon as it was reassembled). Our house had a strip of aluminum siding ripped off and twisted, and I had a large branch wedged under my car, but I think we got off pretty lucky.   

7 miles away and that's too close. F3 and F2 I believe.  The reported ones anyway, perhaps we have had a few in our pastures, I don't know.

Lots of straight line winds and high winds and such though. Oh and funnel clouds. Those are always great to see when you look out the window( sarcasm).

What's scary is when the wind stops. Changes. Stops. And it may do that a few times, but usually that is the sign of one happening or about to happen it seems.. 

• 2 years later...

Can finally say yes to this. Had one right in our back yard a few months ago and caused a bunch of trees to fall, one of which hit the porch. Luckily the damage was minimum. It was actually not too long after the tornado alert went off. It was also the first time I didn’t take the alert seriously. 99% of the time we get the alert and there never is a tornado. Tornadoes are a top tier fear for me so having one right in the yard the one time I convince myself not to panic over the alert is just…That wrecked my anxiety.