Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Drawing Dashie, Very old school 1 pixel pencil

BPCannon

GIMP Pencil draw of Rainbow Dash, based on an MLP online Colouring book picture

Below is a small version of my original post from Saturday, spent most of the day on it, but was it wasn't looking right to me - the top section of the tail was bugging me most, the border of Purple over the Blue along with most of the tail colour borders, and the lower half of the mane

post-35903-0-60338400-1448751701_thumb.png

=========================================================================================

29/11/15 - Mostly fixed, slightly improved the purple sections of the mane and tail, the mane overall, and changed the eyes so they're more matching to actual Rainbow Dash. Still not happy with the tail, particularly the borders between yellow, orange and red, but nowhere near as patient as I was yesterday so was using drag pencil lines rather than a single click

post-35903-0-20537700-1448910794_thumb.png

If you click for full size it's easier to see the uneven pixels and lines, but at reduced size i'm fairly happy with it.

Below is the colouring book picture I based my draw on

post-35903-0-80182300-1448809126_thumb.png

Aaaand since it was my daughter who requested a Rainbow Dash pic, and commented while I was drawing that she looked like she was apple bucking, I dropped my finished image into a pre-rendered background for her collection of MLP images

post-35903-0-73803900-1448809215_thumb.png

All clickable for full size.

Looking at it in an actual MLP background, it seems that pixel drawn images don't look too bad in the end, it's just the sheer time it takes to make them compared to images using current software that makes this method of drawing seem fairly obsolete

The original point of this post was hopefully to get a few opinions on whether old MS Paint style zooming in and single pixel clicking type of drawings still have some merit, or just pointless now with all the new software for making things fast and prettier

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 6