Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Second attempt at Pony art: critique please?

SugarfootWillie

Hi! As the title says, I'm more or less a novice when it comes to pony art, and I want others to guide me so I can improve.

The image below was an attempt to create an abstract expression of Sunset Shimmer's cutie mark. Does this image even fall into abstract expressionism? Are the colors balanced in such a way as to not overwhelm the eyes? [insert question]?

sig-4261814.LowrOvf.jpg

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, the colors are quite balanced, really bright might I add, but I think it fits the picture. My only comment is the white space in the upper corners is a little weird to me, but that's just me talking :P

Keep up the hella awesome artwork. :D

• Brohoof 1

The hues are good, and the design and concept are cool. In general, there are just three things to keep in mind when dealing with color: the hue, the value (lightness/darkness), and the saturation. You usually want to keep these varied in order to create contrast and thus "interest" in your image. The hue and value are good here, so saturation is the only thing to alter.

If you eyedrop the image, you'll see that almost every pixel in the image is highly saturated, which makes it hard to look at because there's nowhere for your eye to rest. The trick is to figure out what parts you want to stand out, and make those the only parts that are saturated. If everything's saturated, nothing stands out.

incredibles-when-everyone-super.gif

I'd make the orange background desaturated since that's not the point of focus. The sun would probably be the point of focus, so I'd keep that saturated. If you desaturate the blue, that will cause the sun to stand out even more, and create more impact. If you have an art program that has a "replace color" function, you can make these changes pretty easily. Try it out and see how different options give different results!