Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are movies canon?

ggg-2

The poster in Shining Armor's guest room in "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" got me thinking. The poster is of Smash Fortune, an obvious parody of Flash Gordon (with maybe a little Harrison Ford thrown in.). This begs the question, are movies, and perhaps by extension television, canon?

Well remember that movie theater the crusaders were in that one time? I suppose that means movies are canon, I guess.

When were the Crusaders in a movie theater?

When were the Crusaders in a movie theater?

During the Babs Seed scene, but the picture quality was kind of old-timey. So I guess it might be a primitive new technology.

That being said, Smash Fortune isn't necessarily a movie. Remember, even Daring Do, who's an obvious Indy pastiche, is a series of books.

And apparently Smash Fortune is sort of based on Doc Savage, who was a pulp fiction hero back in the day (not a movie character).

Equestria seems to have the level of technology to advance the story required at any given time. Trains pulled by massive stallions in s1 and then we get the Friendship Express in s2. Helicopters, hydroelectric plants, things like the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.. Given what we've seen in the show we can assume at least movies and some sort of video games are canon. TV is likely the case as well, given that there is a unicorn 'projector' spell that Twilight has used a couple times, most recently in the episode featuring Coloratura. 

Equestria seems to have the level of technology to advance the story required at any given time. Trains pulled by massive stallions in s1 and then we get the Friendship Express in s2. Helicopters, hydroelectric plants, things like the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.. Given what we've seen in the show we can assume at least movies and some sort of video games are canon. TV is likely the case as well, given that there is a unicorn 'projector' spell that Twilight has used a couple times, most recently in the episode featuring Coloratura. 

The Cider Squeezy was magitek, though. Powered by the Flim-Flam brothers' unicorn magic, remember?

They change up the technology for gags. 

That was a shaky fuzzy black and white thing on an ancient projector, though, so it fits the setting a little better.

Edited by Daring_Do

Movies and TV are canon to what? Unless there's some definition of canon I'm unfamiliar with?

EDIT: Oh, I get what you mean. I'm pretty sure the show has shown movies (One Bad Apple, Hurricane Fluttershy). I think there was a video camera in The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, which may imply television. And yet telephones (even the old kind) are kinda rare in Equestria.

Also, not really a television, but did anyone else notice a big-screen in Sapphire Shores's show in Sweetie Belle's nightmare in For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils?

At first I thought you meant things like "is Equestria Girls canon", which has been discussed a lot already.

Edited by PGNatsu