Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'An Unexpected Event' by Emerald<3

Emerald Heart

“The humans are closing in. What must we do? I’ve heard from one of the villages nearby. A young mer was swimming home and saw two figures with strange yellow eyeglasses. Thank the Seas she swam away in time. Otherwise who knows what would have become of her!”

“You must calm yourself Meli.” Alnah took a sip of her herbal tea. Panic was not good for the soul, so she believed. Alnah was queen of the Mystican kingdom. Famous for her jet black, waist length hair. The mers thought she must be related to the Gods.

“Calm myself? How can you possibly say that? We have been hiding from humans for nearly five thousand years! Aren’t you the slightest bit scared? The humans are no match for us. If they found us we would be put on display! Experimented on! And you are telling me to calm down?!”

“Yes.”

“And why might you think that?”

“Panic does no more than make things worse. It fires up our emotions, causes fear to increase. Makes us paranoid. I only fear for my child. That is why I am sending her away.”

-------------

Elyssa Moore sat down. It was breakfast time, and her mother had prepared eggs today. Elyssa lived along the beach up in California with her foster parents Meggie and Sean and her nine year old sister Lana. Elyssa was thirteen years old.

“Well you’re up early.” Mrs. Moore observed, lifting Elyssa out of her thoughts.

“Um, yeah. I guess I had a bad dream or something.”

Mrs. Moore frowned. “Well, you’ll probably feel better after you eat something. The eggs are nearly done.” Mrs. Moore went back to the stove to check on the eggs. A couple minutes later Lana walked in looking very, very tired.

“G’mornin.”  She groaned.

Elyssa laughed, “So how long did you stay up this time?” she teased.

“Oh, shut up Elyssa.  Besides, I was only up ‘till five a.m.”

Elyssa rolled her eyes. Mrs. Moore gasped.

“Five in the morning? Honey, you know your bed time is eight!”

“Yeah, well it’s hard to sleep with someone snoring all night.” Lana bobbed her head in Elyssa’s direction.

“Me? Well you’re the one playing on your D.S. with the sound up full blast!” She shot back.

“Yeah, well-“

“So are you!”

“I swear-“

They continued bickering like this for another five minutes. Mrs. Moore had had enough.

QUIET!” She yelled, surprising the girls. “Lana, lay off your sister please. Her birthday’s tomorrow.”

“But-“

I don’t want to hear it. Now finish your eggs and hurry off to school.”

Elyssa and Lana exchanged confused looks.

“But Mom, it’s Sunday.”

“I don’t care, just…just go to the beach or something.”

Lana sighed. “Well, I’ll be at the skate park.”

Lana picked up her board and strapped on her helmet. She grabbed her purse, stuffed her elbow and knee straps into it. She slung the bag over her shoulder and zoomed out the door slamming it behind her.

“I wish she wouldn’t do that.” Mrs. Moore said staring at the door for a few more seconds.

“I guess I’ll head down to the beach myself. I’m going to go get changed.”

Elyssa lay down on one out of many rows of beach chairs. She wore a simple, baby blue bikini. Her light pink flip-flops lay beside the chair.

Elyssa’s strawberry-blonde hair blew rather annoyingly in front of her face. Elyssa’s body was super pale, even though she went out nearly every day. Her chestnut eyes could  vaguely be seen behind her light pink sunglasses.

The next morning after breakfast (eggs again.) Elyssa headed down to the beach with her friend Constance.

“C’mon, let’s go in the water.” Elyssa urged.

“No way! It’s so salty out there. Besides, swimming is for babies.”

“Well it is the Ocean.”

“My point exactly.” She gave a firm nod.

“Well what do you want to do miss prissy pants?”

“Tan. Watch the boys play volleyball.”

“But we do that every time we come here! C’mon Constance please? For my birthday.”

“No.”

“You’re insane.” Elyssa laughed.

“Look, you can get in the water all you want. After all, what’s the point of a bikini if you don’t show it off?”

“Using it for its real purpose. To swim.” Elyssa rolled her eyes. “If you’re not going to swim can you at least take my stuff? I don’t want anybody to steal it.” She held out the tan tote bag.

“No problem. I’ll be over there ok?” she pointed to one of the beach chairs on the right.

Elyssa barely heard her. She was sprinting across the sand getting nearer and nearer to the glistening water.

“Cannonball!” Elyssa screamed. She squeezed her legs to her chest and dived.

A strange feeling erupted through her lower body as soon as she hit water. It felt as though her legs had been glued together. She looked down into the water to see what was going on. Her waist-down was emitting a blinding pure white light. What the heck is going on? Elyssa thought. The pain kept getting worse. Her flesh was splitting, bones disappeared and new bones grew in their place.  But then it stopped. Confused and scared, Elyssa gathered up the little courage she had and submerged herself under the water. She lifted up her legs, but they weren’t there. In their place was a glistening, silver, scaly fish tail.

How could this have happened? Was this some sort of elaborate prank?  Was Lana trying to get back at her for earlier? But none of them seemed to be fitting. Am…am I a mermaid?

How had this happened? Had Elyssa’s parents been mermaids too? She was so confused.

Suddenly two men with tails swam by. They wore gold armor and held golden speirs. They swam past Elyssa, then suddenly turned around and zipped in Elyssa’s direction.

“Goodness me. Is that…?”

“It must be. Oh my, never in my life-”

“This is a miracle.”

Elyssa raised an eyebrow, mixed feelings of fright and confusion bubbled in the pit of her stomach.

“Ex-excuse me? Who are you?”

The guards gasped in delight and giggled. Yes, giggled. If it weren't for their armor, one might’ve mistaken them for school girls.

“She speaks! Oh princess Lilnh speaks! O, what a glorious day it is indeed!” the guard threw his hands upward.

“You must have me mistaken with someone else. My name's Elyssa.”

The guards looked at each other each sharing the same look of confusion.

“But you must be-”

“-you look just like her.”

Elyssa shrugged and began to swim upward as fast as she could. Many questions forming in her mind. Who was Lilnh? Was Elyssa like Lilnh’s long-lost doppelganger or something? Just as Elyssa was about to reach the surface something grabbed her fins. She was going down...down....down. No matter how violently she thrashed she couldn't break free.

“What....the heck?” her body had lost all its energy. She closed her eyes, giving up on all hopes of escape. Then she was asleep.

“Shhunshe! What took you so long? Lilnh was supposed to be back in the Mystican kingdom years ago!”

“Mistress Meli! I offer my deepest and most sincere apologies-”

“Don’t you start that with me Shhunshe. You had a mission and you failed.”

“But Mistress Meli-”

“Shut up. Zhekolm, explain your viewpoint on this please.”

“Well mistress, you see we found her not far from your kingdom of Atlantis. She looked quite confused when we spoke to her, as if she was unaware that she was a mermaid! Claimed her name was Elyssa. A peculiar name if you ask me. Don't know where she got it from.”

Meli pondered this. She frowned.

“Queen Alnah is in her bedchamber. Knock before entering.”

The knights nodded and swam off.

Elyssa opened her eyes, the sound of shouting had woken her up. Elyssa looked around the room blinking several times trying to get her vision to focus.

“She’s awake!” A female voice exclaimed.

“Hmnh...Mlh. Not….Lilnh.”

“What does she mean Shhunshe?”  

With chyna-doll skin and almost perfect chestnut eyes the woman was the prettiest creature Elyssa had ever laid eyes on. Her strawberry blonde hair was braided around her head like a halo, and cascaded down her back. The rest hung freely, floating in tune with the waves. Her crimson Tail Hem dress seemed to have a mind of its own, floating in different directions. Her tail was light pink. So light, it could be mistaken for white.

“I don’t know..” Shhunshe said. Elyssa now recognized him as one of the guards that had captured her.

“Not…Lilnh,” Elyssa repeated still not completely awake. “Name’s...Elyssa.”

“Well you did send her away when she was a baby madame.” The other guard said.

The woman nodded.

“Can y’all stop talking about me like I’m not here? First of all, where am I? And what in the heck is going on?”

The woman’s eyes widened in shock. She laughed, smirking down at Elyssa.

“Such sass.”

“Would you just answer my question? Otherwise I’m going to take my big fat sass and get out of here before you can say pumpernickel.”

The woman smiled even wider.

“Very well. This place you are in. Or rather this continent you are in is called Waterrsdome. It was founded eons ago. Before landies-humans ever existed. Inside each continent there is a Country. Our country is called Aqmina. Inside each country there are states. We are in Lakdum. In each state there is at least three mers that rule in that state in their own separate kingdoms. I rule over the kingdom of Mystica.”

“Ok...I think I’ve got it. But what do I have to do with this? I’m a ‘landie.’’’ she used air quotes to emphasize her point.

“You have a tail.”

“Yeah, but how do you know it’s not fake? Like, maybe it’s a Halloween costume or something?”

“It’s literally attached to your body.”

Elyssa opened her mouth but no words came out. She had no idea what to say next.

“You're my daughter, the princess of Mystica.”

“You’re insane.’’

Alnah raised an eyebrow, letting her words sink in. Elyssa pondered this. Was it possible that this lady...this mer was her real mother? It seemed impossible, but it did make sense.Elyssa had always been able to breath longer underwater than anyone she’d ever met, she had this weird connection with sea creatures. Like, at the aquarium this one time Elyssa was standing in front of the shark tank watching as a Hammerhead Shark and a Great White pulled a U-turn. Their small beetle-like eyes staring down at Elyssa. They didn't move. They didn't waver. At least not until she moved onto the next tank.

“So,” Elyssa started. “You’re...you’re my Mom?”

The woman nodded. She was about to say something when a large yellow claw clamped Alnah around her middle. Elyssa swam under a table,  afraid to be taken as well.

“Mother!” Elyssa screamed as the claw lifted her upward. She swam out from her hiding place and looked around frantically. Her mother, her real mother had just been taken. What should I do? Elyssa thought searching the ground for any sort of clue it might of left behind. Something glistened beneath Elyssa but she did not notice it at first. She did a double take and dived downward. It was a scrap of metal. It must have fallen off that machine. On the scrap, something had been written in curly black calligraphy. 4220, Beverly Hills, Aqua Experiments co. Elyssa gasped. That’s where my Dad works!

She swam upward toward the land like a dart, looking for a place isolated from the beach. She hauled herself up out of the water and on to the sand. Using someone else’s towel, she dried herself off. Her tail emitted that same white light as before.The pain was worse this time. Elyssa felt like her tail was forcefully being ripped apart, bones disappeared, some stayed, and some regrew. To her ultimate delight, it stopped. Elyssa looked down and smiled. Her legs were back.

“Okay,” she said. “Time to find Mom.”

The first thing Elyssa did was go to her house. She burst into Lana’s room and dragged Lana out of the house by her arm.

“Elyssa! What the-where are we going? What are we doing?” Elyssa narrowed her eyes, determined.

“Going to find Mom.” Lana gasped.

“Someone’s taken Mom?”

“Someone’s taken my Mom.” Elyssa corrected.

“Exactly. Your Mom, Meggie Moore.

“Not exactly. I mean my Mom. My biological Mom.” Lana beamed with interest.

“You met your Mom?” she asked, bouncing with excitement.

“Yes.” She answered, accelerating into a speed walk.

About thirty minutes later, they arrived. There was always low security around this time of day, so it was pretty easy to get in.

“Lana? Elyssa? What are you guys doing here? You girls know this place is top secret.” Mr. Moore asked.

“Yeah we know. We just had to know have you guys received any...unusual beings lately?” Mr.Moore pondered this, rubbing his chin as he thought.

“No, I don’t believe so. But some guys in Lab 301 claimed they got a real live mermaid! Ha, just trying to show off I suppose.”

Elyssa nodded only half-listening. She ran upstairs, Lana and Mr. Moore exchanged confused looks and ran after her. Elyssa opened the door to lab 301, and slammed it hard behind her.

“Mom!” Elyssa yelled. Her mother swam inside a fish tank. From the looks of it, she was quite uncomfortable. She tried to open the top of the tank, but it was bolted on.

“Dang it…”

“Lilnh!” She smiled and kissed the glass. Her mother looked upward, then down at Elyssa.

“Lil-” but it was too late. A giant claw scooped Elyssa up by her middle and stuffed Elyssa into her own separate tank.

“Aw, isn’t that sweet. Mother and daughter reunited.” A man walked out of the shadows. Alnah gasped.

“Shhunshe?”

“Yes my queen.” He spat.

“B-but why?”

“What do you think? I want power! Real power! After I kill you both, I will declare myself king of Mystica!”

“You're a real fudge sack you know that?” Elyssa said calmly.

The door burst open. Lana and Mr. Moore came running inside.

“Dad? Lana? What are you doing here? Get out, it’s not safe!” Elyssa shouted. Lana rolled her eyes and whispered something to her father. He nodded. Mr. Moore ran off towards Shhunshe whilst Lana ran over to help.

“Lana, the top is latched on. You can’t open it.” Elyssa said.

“Not unless you have this.” Lana lifted a hand from behind her back. She was holding a screwdriver.

“Wow, someone came prepared.” Elysa teased.

“Just shut up and be quiet.” Lana popped the last latch off and beamed at Elyssa. She grabbed Elyssa by the arms and lugged her out of the tank. Elyssa winced as her tail morphed back into legs again.

“Here.” Lana handed her the screwdriver.

“I’m going to go help Dad. You get your Mom.” Elyssa nodded and tip-toed over to the tank.

“Lilnh!” Her mother beamed. Elyssa pressed a finger to her lips, signaling her to hush. Elyssa started the drill, looking over her shoulder once in awhile to see if Shhunshe had noticed them. Elyssa had popped off the third latch when he noticed.

“What are you-gah! Someone get them!” When no one came, he charged. Lana blocked him. She frowned and muttered something under her breath. Elyssa popped off the last lock and lugged her mother out of the tank. Her mother whimpered as her tail morphed to legs.

“No! No! This can not happen!” Shhunshe growled and was about to charge at them again, but Lana was to quick for him. She grabbed him by the shirt and glared hard at him.

“You are such a idiot.” Lana growled with a hint of laughter. Elyssa giggled under her breath.

“Wha-what are you going to do to me?” he stuttered.

“What do you think? We’re going to tie you up and burn you at the stake.” Lana laughed at the horrified look on Shhunshe’s face. “Seriously? Are you that gullible? Gosh, you really are an idiot.” Shhunshe looked confused. “You aren’t going to kill me?” he asked.

“No. Why would we? After all, we are just kids.” Lana rolled her eyes sarcastically. Elyssa chuckled.

“B-but I kidnapped you two!” He pointed at Alnah and Elyssa.

“Are you saying you want us to kill you?” Elyssa teased.

“No! That i-isn’t what I’m saying. N-no, please don’t.”

“Because if you want us to we’d be glad to oblige.” Elyssa said smirking.

“No! No! Please, please no!” He begged.

“Luckily we aren’t killers. Now get your fat little butt out of here before I call the police.”

Shhunshe nodded rapidly then scurried out the door bumping and knocking over things on his way out.

“That guy was disgusting.” Lana said.

“Seriously.” Elyssa agreed.

“We should go home.” Mr. Moore stated. Elyssa longingly looked over her shoulder at her mother.

“I-I want to go with mother.” Elyssa announced. Mr.Moore and Lana seemed sad at first, but then her father smiled.

“Very well. But I do expect you to visit once in awhile.” Elyssa nodded and hurried off to join her mother. Then they all went their separate ways. Lana and Mr. Moore back home, Alnah and Elyssa to Mystica.

The End.

• Brohoof 2

Such saass... this is how I would like to describe, a pleasant surprize nonetheless.
It`s one of those stories that makes a humble start but as you read it you realize you got at ``The End`` part xD

loved it, you have a weird style of writing but I love it it`s personal and it`s unique, Good job :3

• Brohoof 1

Such saass... this is how I would like to describe, a pleasant surprize nonetheless.

It`s one of those stories that makes a humble start but as you read it you realize you got at ``The End`` part xD

loved it, you have a weird style of writing but I love it it`s personal and it`s unique, Good job :3

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you like it.