Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Red Sox-Yankees Rivalry

heavens-champion

I actually like watching heated rivalries like that.

I have a lot of memories of looking back at highlights such as Ryan Dempster giving Alex Fraudriguez a well deserved hit by pitch, and two years ago we had Michael Pineda use Pine Tar against the Red Sox in a heavy victory, then the next time Pineda pitched against them, the Red Sox skipper asked Jerry Davis to check him out, and Pineda got chucked from the game.

• Brohoof 1

The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is one of the best things about baseball. I think it's brought in more fans than have turned them away. Especially considering the Red Sox and Yankees have been one of the highest fan bases in the game, it's good for MLB as an organization. Seeing stadiums full of fans angry with each other certainly beats seeing empty stadiums across the country on TV.

• Brohoof 2

The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is one of the best things about baseball. I think it's brought in more fans than have turned them away. Especially considering the Red Sox and Yankees have been one of the highest fan bases in the game, it's good for MLB as an organization. Seeing stadiums full of fans angry with each other certainly beats seeing empty stadiums across the country on TV.

Good point. A LOT of people from both New York and Boston fly back and forth between the two cities to watch these games.

It's just like a lot of other rivalries like the Giants VS Dodgers, Astros VS Rangers, and even some interleague stuff like the Subway Series or what at least USED to be Dodgers VS Yankees before the D's moved to LA from Brooklyn.

• Brohoof 1

Also Cubs and White Sox. That's always a fun interleague series.

Speaking of the Cubbies, I certainly miss Harry Carey crooning Take Me Out To The Ballgame on WGN on Saturday afternoons.

I grew up a Yankees fan (unfortunately in the mid-2000s, the only time the Red Sox had a clear upper hand), and these games were well worth it. Even people who didn't know baseball knew the long history between these two teams and how they've historically been two of the best teams in the business. Both teams have produced current and possible future Hall-of-Famers from Ruth and Williams to Jeter and Ortiz. Also, it's a division rivalry which attracts just as much attention even when these two teams aren't on the same field. I know that fans of other teams don't like the abundance of media coverage this gets, but it's also done a lot to raise the profile of baseball over time.