Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

does someone has advice on modelling 3D pony manes ?

NazmiFR

Hi,

I want to make a surprise to some online friends I'll have the chance to meet IRL in a month (they aren't of course on this forum :P cause that would be ruining the surprise) by making 3D models of their OCs, my 3D printer is almost functional and I made some attempts to making ponies, the few problems I had are going to be fixed within the week (I'm working on it) and I have to have finished the figurines of their OCs for in 20 days (which is at both a lot of time and not much time considering the fact that I have almost no idea on how to model something as complex as a mane, and especially from reference drawings).

I was thinking on using Ponylumen's pony creator to make the pony with the shape and pose (already tried for canon characters and it worked), then I think of using blender to merge the parts, add a stand, model the custom manes and maybe crop the pony to do only the head + the shoulders so that it will be much easier to print and paint.

That's here where I might need some advice, I did some modeling in blender long ago but it was not that advanced, so every little advice/suggestion/opinion is welcome.

(once I have a model it's simple and I already know how to do it, I just have to fix the little bugs that might cause problems in the process of 3D printing, then export to an stl file that I'll slice with Slic3r and then the machine will do it's magic, all of that I kind of already know how it works since I already did quite a lot of tests and prints from simple parts/parts designed by others)

Thanks in advance for any help

Blender is fully capable of everything you need to do. I've seen firsthand Blender models be manifested by a 3D printer, so that shouldn't be a problem. Getting/making your models is another story, though...

thanks for the quick response, yeah blender is so powerful, I've always been telling me that someday I would learn how to use it more seriously than playing with random pre-generated meshes, texturing them and doing a render x) , I guess that project is going to push me to do so.