Big Jim confirmed about the show's target demographic. IT FOR LITTLE GIRLS.

Lambdadelta

And if there's one thing the fandom would go into a tizzy over, it would be whether the comics were canon to the show or not.

Pretty much, I'm fine with other people wanting to go by a "Show only" canon if they want. The show is pretty much meant to be able to be watched without needing to get into extended stuff like the comics, or even EQG as of yet, outside of small references. But some people's denial of the idea that they could ever possibly be considered canon is a bit...out there, to the point of making things up to say they're not canon.

I think it's overall best to keep the comics as "Optional canon" so the pitchforks and torches don't come out. Plus, the younger audience and less obsessed fans shouldn't have to start buying comics just to keep up with everything in the show.

Also...

I'd never considered the hibernation to be a metaphor for death, just a lesson about facing reality and accepting to move on.

https://twitter.com/orangemeerkat/status/592035419245514752 Here's a tweet from the episode's writer mentioning it had a "Bigger message", which supports the theory it was an allegory for death, though doesn't state it outright. I seem to remember it being said straight up that it was about that, but I can't find that so maybe my memory is mistaken.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much, I'm fine with other people wanting to go by a "Show only" canon if they want. The show is pretty much meant to be able to be watched without needing to get into extended stuff like the comics, or even EQG as of yet, outside of small references. But some people's denial of the idea that they could ever possibly be considered canon is a bit...out there, to the point of making things up to say they're not canon.

I think it's overall best to keep the comics as "Optional canon" so the pitchforks and torches don't come out. Plus, the younger audience and less obsessed fans shouldn't have to start buying comics just to keep up with everything in the show.

I personally see Equestria Girls as being canon to the show. There have been references made in the show that were carried over into EQG and now the reverse is starting to become true although at a much smaller and somewhat insignificant pace. Also, since there are only four movies so far, there isn't really all that much to catch up on so anyone could watch them and get some additional lore if they felt like it.

With the comics... I do see them as canon as well, but I would place Equestria Girls above them every time. I guess I'm not 100% sold on the comics connection as I am with EQG's connection. Since there are many MLP comics, reading all of them can be taxing and not all of them turned out as good as expected.

• Brohoof 1

I personally see Equestria Girls as being canon to the show. There have been references made in the show that were carried over into EQG and now the reverse is starting to become true although at a much smaller and somewhat insignificant pace. Also, since there are only four movies so far, there isn't really all that much to catch up on so anyone could watch them and get some additional lore if they felt like it.

I think they could get away with referencing and even bringing EQG stuff into the show now, without causing too much of a fuss. Some people would probably complain, but there's enough EQG fans these days that I think it could be generally accepted. Plus, as you said, it's not hard to keep up with the EQG movies.

As for canon though, Hasbro seems to consider it all canon: "We give kids and consumers the opportunity to relive the story, but what sets us apart is that we are not quite interested in telling you what happened in a particular episode, but more interested in telling you what happened between episodes," explains Michael Kelly, director of global publishing, Hasbro. "When the TV goes off and the movie theater goes dark, those characters are alive in your imagination. We build that story out and give you stories that happen in between the episodes and movies. "A big part of our success is, from a content standpoint, that we deliver not just an interpretation or adaptation, but provide original content that is expanding that universe and giving a different experience of characters," he adds.

According to Kelly, every comic book from IDW is an original story about the My Little Pony characters.

All this is quoted from here. http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/hasbro-magic-branded-play

We might be getting a little too far off-topic now though.

• Brohoof 1

https://twitter.com/orangemeerkat/status/592035419245514752 Here's a tweet from the episode's writer mentioning it had a "Bigger message", which supports the theory it was an allegory for death, though doesn't state it outright. I seem to remember it being said straight up that it was about that, but I can't find that so maybe my memory is mistaken.

She also says this though: https://twitter.com/orangemeerkat/status/593920494857953280

As evidenced with Starlight, even a friend leaving for another place is felt pretty much the same for children and they have to cope with loss. The episode was dealing about this. Now if people see it about death, I say "sure why not". It's the same feeling of loss after all.

• Brohoof 1

I think they could get away with referencing and even bringing EQG stuff into the show now, without causing too much of a fuss. Some people would probably complain, but there's enough EQG fans these days that I think it could be generally accepted. Plus, as you said, it's not hard to keep up with the EQG movies.

As for canon though, Hasbro seems to consider it all canon: "We give kids and consumers the opportunity to relive the story, but what sets us apart is that we are not quite interested in telling you what happened in a particular episode, but more interested in telling you what happened between episodes," explains Michael Kelly, director of global publishing, Hasbro. "When the TV goes off and the movie theater goes dark, those characters are alive in your imagination. We build that story out and give you stories that happen in between the episodes and movies. "A big part of our success is, from a content standpoint, that we deliver not just an interpretation or adaptation, but provide original content that is expanding that universe and giving a different experience of characters," he adds.

According to Kelly, every comic book from IDW is an original story about the My Little Pony characters.

All this is quoted from here. http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/hasbro-magic-branded-play

We might be getting a little too far off-topic now though.

Equestria Girls has come a long way since the first movie and its popularity has increased with every subsequent movie. In fact, I'd attribute its success thanks to Sunset being such a remarkable character who has gone from being a Twilight clone and become her own person with her own goals, insecurities, and desires. Many want her to appear in the show and I think they can do that if they were to provide an ideal backstory that has effort put into it. Besides, I've always said that Sunset was the bridge that connected the show and EQG together.

I think the writers never said anything regarding about the canon because of not wanting to upset the bronies. The same can be true about the comic writers not bringing it up. Again, fans have to realize what the intended age dynamic is. If Hasbro says EQG and the comics are canon to the show, then so be it. Bronies shouldn't complain because they don't like that kind of direction, yet when I say bronies, I talk about the small group who think they are entitled.

• Brohoof 2

As evidenced with Starlight, even a friend leaving for another place is felt pretty much the same for children and they have to cope with loss. The episode was dealing about this. Now if people see it about death, I say "sure why not". It's the same feeling of loss after all.

Ah, missed that, guess I should have done a little more digging. 

Well, I never thought or meant Tank was literally meant to die in the show, or even that it was a considered option, but you're right in that while it can be read as an allegory for death, that's not the only thing it's about, or the only way it can be interpreted. It's a powerful episode either way in my opinion, so people can take it in whatever way works for them.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

"IT'S JUST FOR LITTLE GIRLS, MAN!" is exactly the kind of lazy "Go away, critics, you're not welcome here, this work is beneath me, you, and all adults!" crap Lauren Faust wanted to abolish. It's a lazy cop-out, and only acceptable if he was saying it in response to some weirdo insisting the show should have adult acts on screen or Twilight going Roy Mustang on somepony's flanks.

Why are a few members getting so mad/annoyed over being told that a show for little girls is in fact a show for little girls?

It's the equivalent of a 40-year-old man with a diaper fetish being told that diapers are for babies, and then he responds "Diapers are for babies?!  You're dehumanizing and insulting me!"

Wait, there's a diaper fetish...? Ugh... My head hurts sooo very much right now...

But yeah, a few get annoyed at it, maybe because they don't realise it's a show for little girls...made with the intent of being watched together with their parents. It has always been the case and is very laudable I find.

Why are a few members getting so mad/annoyed over being told that a show for little girls is in fact a show for little girls?

Because they see it as devaluing the show in some way, or possibly putting a "keep out" stamp on it somehow. I just see it as a testament to the skill of the writers along with a mix of engaging characters and the simple yet profound messages the show encourages that allows it to be so easily enjoyed by anybody. MLP has become like a shotgun... aimed in one direction, and yet hitting many targets. Not many programs built around a franchise such as this one has achieved something like that.

• Brohoof 6