Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Tantalizing Reality (A Fanfic Fan-Game)

EclipseNightshade

{EDITED FOR CONVENIENCE}

What is reality?

I can’t tell anymore.

Out of all that I see,

I want none of it more

Than it all to end

Or for time to bend

~Eclipse Nightshade

A TANTALIZING REALITY

|Backstory|

We have all been fooled. The world is now a living nightmare! Monsters, Demons, and otherwise malevolent forces prowl the land. Once fictional beings of unworldly power and dark dispositions, now very much real. They have bent fate into a grim and twisted abomination, leaving many to question: How could we honestly have believed it would give up so easily? Why would it when it had the power to tear its way into the waking world? Who are we to believe Tantabus so insignificant?

|The Goal|

A classic take back what was stolen quest. The land of Equestria has fallen under Tantabus’s hellish reign. It is up to you to take it back, all the while evading/destroying any monsters in your wake.

|Game Build|

The target genre is somewhere within the bounds of a 2D side-scrolling platformer with RPG, Fighting, and (of course) plenty of horror elements mixed in.

The current build is in Gamemaker Studio

|Planned Features|

NOTE: I will be adding more as I think of them

•OC creator with as unlimited potential as possible

•Inclusion of as many fan-made monsters or otherwise horror-related ideas as can find (more credit will be given than required)

•Entirely open-world map

•Allies system with permanent death to all characters besides the player’s OC

•A wide array of learnable abilities and attacks including some super saiyan level shiznit (all of which balanced to maintain horror aspects, of course)

|Allies|

NOTE: still planning this section out

Currently trying to figure out Demon the Windigo’s story elements for this purpose…

~”I Am Demon” by Aquaman

In terms of ally acquisition, each character you manage to save will join your group. Do try, however, to keep yourselves from getting separated!

|Monsters|

Candy Mare

~”Something Sweet to Bite” by Knackerman

•Nigeb

~”Nigeb” by Aquaman

•The “Great Evil”

~”Holder’s Boulder” by Horse Voice

•Laughing Jack

~"Imaginary Friend" by MR101

•The Darkness

~”I See You” by Darkest Raider

•Corporal Hayden Sparks

~”Anno Domini” by Chromosome

The Blot

~”The Blot” by Flint Lock

//~BUILDS~//

(Latest - Oldest)

//~INCLUDED FEATURES~//

(Latest Build Only)

• Player Sprinting by double pressing a direction button
  • The beginnings of a combat system
  • The beginnings of a GUI
  • A half-a**** simulated ray-cast lighting system
  • Flight
  • Game Pad compatibility

//~CONTROLS~//

(Keyboard)

• WSAD >>movement (including jumping)
  • J >>attack
  • Spacebar >>toggle fight stance
  • MN >>rage metter
  • LK >>fear meter
  • OP >>hp meter
  • UI >>supers meter
  • Backspace >>restart
  • End >>quit

(Gamepad)

• Left Analog >>movement(including jumping)
  • Button 3(X for X-Box 360) >>attack
  • Select >>toggle fight stance

Edited by EclipseNightshade

Well, physics as far as gravity and friction that slows the player down after sprinting. So in all reality, physics aren't a core part of the game, Lol.

I just wanted to make sure the game play's nice before I do anything else.

BTW, thanks for the support! I will admit, I'm a little surprised that some one looks forward to this despite of the fact that all I have is a basic premise and a starter engine.

My next goal will be to get the battle system up and running, although still completely without any focus on graphics. With it, I plan to enrich the horror aspects of the game by showing the player just how strong they can get, but just how hard it will still be despite it. I have always hated how horror games nowadays limit the player to ridiculous extremes, even to the point of not being able to push a table over that's blocking your exit (I'm looking at you Outlast).

That said, in order for it to work, the battle system will have to feel fully developed. It will have retain the "sky's the limit" feel or traditional RPG, but in order to reduce grinding, enemies and bosses will have to scale difficulty depending on both character advancement and player skill. I might have to do that with a hit to damage received ratio...

Anyways, the system I have in mind will have several ability trees that depend on the race of the OC. These "trees" I have dubbed as "skills" and each "skill" opens the door for a host of learn-able attacks, abilities, and even super moves. The following are just names for what I have thus far on the matter (you'll have to figure out what each of them does, I'm afraid). I am still figuring this out, so I'm open to suggestions, as always, and I will be modifying this list in the future.

PEGASUS

Universals

Attacks

• Dash Through
  • Arial Strike
  • Dive Kick

Abilities

• Flight
  • Cloud Walk

Rainbow Glimmer

Abilities

• Sonic Rain-boom

Supers

• Atomic Rain-nuke

Lab Coat

Attacks

• Bottled Lightning

UNICORN

Universals

Attacks

• Magic Pulse
  • Light Ray

Abilities

• Wink Out (cannon name for teleportation)
  • False Wink Out
  • Force Field
  • Telekinesis
  • Magic Sight

Supers

• Magic Overload

Spell Book (obvious inspiration)

Attacks

• Book Slap
  • Book Hammer

Abilities

• Invisibility
  • shadow trot

EARTH PONY

Universals

Attacks

• Bronco Buck
  • Hoof Quake

Lasso

Attacks

• Lasso Slam
  • Apple Buck

Abilities

• Wrangle

Supers

• Bull Rush (charge attack)

Party Cannon

Supers

• Sugar Rush(rage mode)

Turn Tables

Supers

• Bass Canon

{EDIT}

I've done some tinkering with the flight system (*cough* rebuilt it from scratch) and included the beginnings of a battle system.The "lighting" system I've included is processing intensive and should really be dumped for one that'll not make your computer want to cry. Nonetheless, I have done my best to ensure the game will run at full frames.

In terms of controls, flight now operates with WSAD keys setting the flight direction to their representative positions on the keyboard, and the attack button is "J" for now. But don't get discouraged if you hate these controls for I have also included Game pad compatibility!

The various bars on the HUD can also be controlled, although only through the keyboard.

HP - "P" & "O" although semi-self controlling

Stamina - self controlling

Rage - "M" & "N"

Fear - "L" & "K"

Super - "i" & "U"

Also, there is a restart button. Just click BACKSPACE

And there's a quit button. It's the END key

Here's the game as it currently is.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85w99k413thx58m/A%20Tantalizing%20Reality%20%28tech%20demo%202%29.zip?dl=0

YEAAAAAH
I quit on this ages ago...